Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the data on a product called Micro-Swirl V.3 edging? I just read the data on www. saeng.com.If it does what it claims to ,it may be an inexpensive solution to the prolem so many of us are having with windnoise.

I,sure am interested in what others may think.

Thanks,

gme

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
It looks very much like their old "Stealth Edging" product which I have previously tried, with marginal results. At $12.90 a foot, it is a good deal if it does in fact increase the protection envelope by several inches, and if that is enough to solve your wind noise or buffeting issues. You would need at least 4 or 5 feet depending on the size of your windscreen. But terms like "up to 4 inches" leave me a bit cautious. That term includes the range of 0 to 4 inches... They will refund your money (minus shipping costs) though if you are not satisfied.

One caution. Saeng's edging products are made out of a very thick rubber material, and come only in black. You are probably not going to like it if the edging is in your line of sight when you are riding. You might not like the appearance of it on your windscreen either - although that wouldn't bother me if it worked effectively.

It would be great to have someone try it out on a Burgman and let us know the results.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I bought my 03 Burgman 650 used a couple of months ago, and it came with the SAENG rubber edging. I rode around for a week with it and then took it off, mainly because I didn't like its looks.

When I noticed NO DIFFERENCE in wind noise I experimented by removing and replacing it several times.

Not only was wind noise difference indiscernible, I could see no difference in buffeting.

I love Suzuki motorcycles. Wonderful performance, great reliability, etc. But ya gotta wonder what their design guys were smoking when they OK'd that windscreen.

I also wonder the same about the SAENG folks.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ted White said:
I love Suzuki motorcycles. Wonderful performance, great reliability, etc. But ya gotta wonder what their design guys were smoking when they OK'd that windscreen.
And the stock windscreen on the '02 and '03 V-Stroms was WAY worse than the stock Burgman windscreen. For the 2004 models, they provide a 3 position adjustable windscreen on both of the V-Strom models. From what I've heard, it is a little better, but still not satisfactory for many riders.

A bad windscreen is much worse than having no windscreen at all...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I tried the Stealth edging on mine when I first purchased it and it didn't work at all. The only solution for me was to go to the Givi replacement windscreen. It is much better but has some back pressure. The Clearview may be better but I'm happy with the Givi for now. The Stealth edging is in my junk drawer in the grage.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Definite!
Have'nt these manufactuers ever heard of wind tunnels / computers?
I am sure a week spent in a wind tunnel / computer would work wonders.
Before I bought the 650 burgman, I had a test ride on a Piaggio X9 500 & a Gilera Nexus and they were just as bad.
And why I'am having a moan, why don't suzuki dump the manual gearbox, and use the buttons leftover to control an adjustable screen, it must at the top of everybodies wishlist

Andy

·
Registered
969 Posts
Agreed, agreed, agreed, and agreed. I just ordered a Clearview XXL m'sef. After I get it, I'm going to experiment with cutting the oem windshield down to see what, if any, difference it makes.

Good to see you here again Roger. Drap me a PM, we'll ride sometime.

Pauljo is apparently on a first and last name basis with the guys at Clearview. When I mentioned him they were quick to note that the mirror interferance problem no longer applies. Thanks Paul. Oh, and for the size that little fairing on the '04 DL650 is just amazing. (Stock setting - I'm 5'11")

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I once added chrome car door edge molding to the out side edge of my windshield, it worked about as well as the SAENG rubber edging.
But at least with the chrome I increase my conspicuity :lol:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Conspicuity - Hmmmm. I like that.

:D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Liability.

The manufacturers want to make sure that even if you're only 5' 4", you can still see over the windscreen.

So it is inadequate for all of us. Such is life. Yeah an electrically controlled windscreen would be ideal and I'm sure one of the options in maxi scooter land over then next 10 years, just don't hold your breath

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
csachs1 said:
Liability.

The manufacturers want to make sure that even if you're only 5' 4", you can still see over the windscreen.

So it is inadequate for all of us. Such is life. Yeah an electrically controlled windscreen would be ideal and I'm sure one of the options in maxi scooter land over then next 10 years, just don't hold your breath
The observation on liability is probably right on target. I'd never thought of that. Suzuki did come out with a three position adjustable windscreen for the V-Stroms in 2004 (and I understand that there is an undocumented 4th position). It is a manual adjustment, not electric, but it did not affect the price of the bikes. And the new windscreen appears to be more aerodynamic as well. Not a total solution for everyone, but a step in the right direction.

The downside, is that the mounting system totally changed. So aftermarket taller screens for the '02 and '03 V-Strom models won't work on the '04s. But even that wasn't bad, because Cee Bailey came out with a much more attractive aftermarket screen for the '04s than it had produced for the prior year models.

I'd love to see a manually adjustable screen come out on the Burgmans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts