Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently had to remove our windshield on our 2003 Burgman 400 and decided that this time we would replace the wellnuts. We had no prior experience with them so here are a few photos and a discussion to perhaps help someone else. Here is our disclaimer: We do much of our own maintenance on our autos and scooters - we are not professionals - please keep that in mind.

We assume you have the diagram that tells you how to take your scooter apart. We put screws for each section in small half sized ziplock bags and label them with the correct part name, and sometimes the part number according to the Suzuki shop maual. Put the bag with the part, lay them out in the order you remove them. That way, if you have to come back to this project a week later you will not be lost in figuring out what goes with what. The time you take to do this will save you when are trying to get this big puzzle to fit back together again.

What are well nuts anyway? Well nuts are a flanged rubber bushing with a brass machine nut molded into one end. A conventional machine screw is threaded through the head of the well nut into the brass nut and tightened. This causes the insert to expand, sort of like a hollow wall anchor, creating a secure fastening.
We found them at Home Depot, about .80-.90 cents each. You can order them, there is a Burgmanusa post with a wellnut source here: /viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46657&p=432637&hilit=+wellnut#p432637

We purchased 2 longer well nuts with new matching machine screws for the top two holes because the nut will have to go through the wind screen and the scooter frame. Make certian that your longer screw is not going to touch or run into something.

We also used new screws to match the threads of the new well nuts. We have read posts discussing how difficult it was to match the original screws to new well nuts, we did not want to fight with it. Pay attention to the screw heads, they have to be flat enough. Threads will vary, take your old screws with you for comparison. You just may locate the thread that you need at your local hardware store. [attachment=2:xj4a503n]Burgman 400 2003 windshield new well nuts.jpg[/attachment:xj4a503n] [attachment=0:xj4a503n]Burgman 400 2003 windshield well nuts and screws.jpg[/attachment:xj4a503n]

When you remove all of the screws at the base of the windshield the old wellnuts will look something like this. [attachment=4:xj4a503n]Burgman 400 2003 windshield with old wellnuts.jpg[/attachment:xj4a503n][attachment=1:xj4a503n]Burgman 400 2003 windshield old well nut close up.jpg[/attachment:xj4a503n]

The wellnuts will have a bulge in them, carefully pull the head though the windshield hole to remove the old well nut. We tried to reuse them, it is not fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I read that you can put something on the well nut to get it to slip in the hole, we simply GENTLY pushed them in place. Put the screw into the well nut a tiny bit, put both in the hole, push it in place (again, gently - this is a windshield we are working with) and then screw in place. Pretty simple, very fast.[attachment=1:1rk0lhep]Burgman 400 2003 windshield gently push in new well nut.jpg[/attachment:1rk0lhep]

The windshield is once again securely attached to your scooter with new well nuts. [attachment=0:1rk0lhep]Burgman 400 2003 windshield closeup of new attached well nuts.jpg[/attachment:1rk0lhep]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
You got them a lot cheaper than the dealer sells them for. I paid as much as $5 for one item. Way over priced. They are very easy to lose down in the front fairing if pushed too hard into the hole without a washer to keep them from going all the way through the hole. What the dealer sells is metric while what you purchased is SAE threads.

I read that you can put something on the well nut to get it to slip in the hole, we simply GENTLY pushed them in place.

In reference to using soap or something on the nut that is if they are being used over again. As long as you can get them back into the holes they work as well as the new ones. In fact some what better considering they do not need to be expanded. Bear in mind the windscreen is designed to break away if the rider tries to go through it. So if the expanded part does not put through the hole, no problem.

Over all you will save a lot of money by doing the job rather than going to the dealer. A dealer would charge $200 for the screen, $5 a piece for the nuts and labor @ $60 -90 an hour. You would be out $400 or more and it is not as good of a job as you can do. You also save the trouble of getting the scooter to the dealer. In less than a 1/2 hour you an do the job yourself. :thumbup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I want to be sure that the windshield should sit inside the wellnut groove, correct? I noticed that whoever installed the Givi did not have the wellnut pulled through the windshield hold but just had the screw and washer inserted snugging it to the wellnut.

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
"I want to be sure that the windshield should sit inside the wellnut groove, correct?"

100% WRONG!

The Wellnut goes into the mounting hole and it is mushroomed so it will not come back out of the hole. It keeps the pressure from breaking the plastic when tightened. Next comes the part you are holding and than the washer and nut. Note it is very easy to drop the nuts where you cannot get them back and they cost money.

Some guys like to use new ones but with soap they can be forced into the holes and can be used over and over. As long as they do not pull back out of the holes real easy they work as well as new ones. The windscreen is designed to break away when it is pushed against.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So on the picture above (old wellnut) that is the view of the fairing body w/ wellnut inserted instead of a cross section of the windshield?

·
Registered
68 Posts
So is this correct using your Home Depot wellnuts:

The mushroom end goes inside the bodywork and the w/s slips over the smaller end and is secured to it?

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
That picture is a little confusing. You need not have the Well Nut holding on the windscreen like that as long as the big mushroomed part is in the scooter hole no problem. You end up with a brass threaded hole in the scooter to put your screw. And it is mounted with rubber to cushion it.

And if you leave the existing windscreen in place as is you will be way ahead. :thumbup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
We will see.....I like the height of the stocker much better and most likely the perfect thing would be the Givi cut down to stocker height. I ride w/ full face helmet anyway so the stock windshield is no noiser than the Givi was and a little more airflow will be better during the warm weather. Hopefully I got the stock windshield installed correctly and the screws and washers hold it in place.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Does the original well nuts have a bulge in them prior to installing them?

The after market ones don't have the bulge.

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
Eric they work like a pop rivet but are made of rubber. They mushroom into the shape so they do not come back out of the hole real easy.

The wind screen is design to break away on impact. Most parts made of plastic will break if hard mounted with a metal screw and nut. The metal and the hardware expand at a different rate and something has to give. :(

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Looking at the original wellnuts the bulge looks so uniform I have a hard time believing it wasn't there from new.

The aftermarket wellnuts I could buy have a much smaller flange, that hardly covers the hole in the windscreen.

The original wellnuts cost $10 a piece here..

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
ErikDK said:
Looking at the original wellnuts the bulge looks so uniform I have a hard time believing it wasn't there from new.

The aftermarket wellnuts I could buy have a much smaller flange, that hardly covers the hole in the windscreen.

The original wellnuts cost $10 a piece here..
Here I have purchased new genuine Well-Nut brand inserts that have the same flange diameter and thickness and the OEM Suzuki nuts, which were genuine Well-Nut brand on my '03 400. The flange is marked with the Well-Nut registered trademark as shown below:

I have also purchased inferior clones that have smaller and thinner flanges, and of course do not bear the Well-Nut trademark.

The bulge is uniform because the design of the Well-Nut pulls it up quite uniformly and the standard Chloroprene "rubber" (Neoprene) does not recover well from tong term deformation (rub a new one in your hand, your fingers will smell like a new wetsuit):

When I was in school in the late 60s I interned with United Shoe Machine in Haverhill MA. They (actually the Tucker Eyelet company acquired by USM) invented the POP rivet in the mid-30s. Legend had that one of their machinists that while observing machinery used to crimp eyelets into shoes had a brain storm. USM was acquired by Emhart in the mid-70s, in 1965 they had acquired Plymouth Cordage Company where my father had worked since before the war--taking time off only to "tour" Europe from 1944 'til 1947...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Chet_Benson said:
"I want to be sure that the windshield should sit inside the wellnut groove, correct?"

100% WRONG!

The Wellnut goes into the mounting hole and it is mushroomed so it will not come back out of the hole. It keeps the pressure from breaking the plastic when tightened. Next comes the part you are holding and than the washer and nut. Note it is very easy to drop the nuts where you cannot get them back and they cost money.

Some guys like to use new ones but with soap they can be forced into the holes and can be used over and over. As long as they do not pull back out of the holes real easy they work as well as new ones. The windscreen is designed to break away when it is pushed against.

Guess my windscreen was installed wrong at dealer. Well nuts were in my windscreen.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
bigr said:
Chet_Benson said:

100% WRONG!

Guess my windscreen was installed wrong at dealer. Well nuts were in my windscreen.
Yeah my '03 came from the factory the same way--the Wellnut passes through the windscreen and into the mounting brackets, with the nut's "rubber" sleeve protecting the windscreen from stress concentrations.

You can see it here in the diagram from the shop manual:

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
Yes that is right Cliffy the wind screen and the mounting hole are help together as rubber pop rivet would do the job.

I said 100% wrong which was not correct. As many screens a i have installed I still did not write the 100% correct answer. Sorry about that. :oops:

The idea is was said the item is not hard mounted as it would break.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I laugh sometimes about how many discussions we can start about our nuts my brothers. Granted these specimens are confusing. Terrible to remove unscarred and difficult to reinstall. Plus the factory costs for replacements are crazy high. Where do we go with this? I will follow the thread and read on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts