Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to do something with my AN400 windshield and I don't know the best way to solve the problem. I am 6'-1-1/2" tall, but do not have great posture......I am round shouldered and do not sit up very straight My helmet gets buffeted in the forehead area and I seem to have a lot of side turbulence on my shoulders and helmet. I do not know if I should get the Givi replacement screen (because of the optics and backpressure); install Saeng winglets; get the Laminar Lip, or wait for Clearview to come out with a replacement for the 400 (when?). Any suggestions from other Burgy owners :?:

·
Registered
308 Posts
The lip got the wind out of my face, but I am considering a Clearview. I am 6.0, and still could use an ectra couple inches (couldnt we all).

Also, the stock screen is very bendy, and that doesnt help high speed stability in crosswinds.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Heard some good things about the Givi here on the forums, but the comments from the 650 owners prefering the Clearview over the Givi gives me a reason to wait. So I just emailed Clearview to ask status on the AN400 windshield. Quite often, companies will bump up the priorities if they get enough requests for a new product. :wink:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I would be the first to say that the Clearview is a good shield I have had three of them over the years.

That said I did not feel like waiting so I ordered a Givi for my 400. After 1200 miles I am sold, it is a well made shield that both stops the helmet buffeting and a lot of side wind.
This is the first shield I ever owned that I had to look through-never liked doing that and even cut a Clearview down once- . I am getting use to it and may not cut this one down because I like everything the way it is.
So wait if you want but I don't think Clearview is going to have a better product
That's just my 21/2 cents worth. :wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Regarding the "bendy" "flexy" issue:

The screens don't really bend or flex. It is that stupid rubber nut mounting system that Suzuki uses on the Burgmans (and the Volusia cruiser too) that allows the screen to move back and forth. In my experience, the Givi moved the most, and the Clearview the least. This is probably due to the shape of the screens, that give the wind more or less leverage on them.

Installing one of the add-on devices - in my case I tried the SAENG Winglet - can increase this movement, because they tend to give the wind additional leverage against the screen.

The only way to eliminate this movement would be for someone to provide a rigid mounting system with their screen. So far, no one has attempted that.

The Suzuki V-Strom has a rigid mount, so the Cee Bailey tall screen that I use does indeed flex. But it is made of a much thinner material than any of the Burgman screens. And it mostly flexes from the sides, which is less annoying than the back and forth movement of the Burgman screens.

As annoying as the flex can be, whether from the mounting system (Burgman), or the screen itself (V-Strom), it occurs to me that a certain amount of flex might be necessary to keep the screen from being ripped off or broken by a strong wind gust. I mean - the people that design these things have engineering degrees. Don't they? I hope they do... :dontknow:

Anyone who is not noticing this flex, either lives in an area where it is not typically very windy, or doesn't ride very fast. Back in Connecticut where I previously lived, it probably wouldn't have been very noticeable. But out here in the wide open midlands, it can be quite annoying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts