Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a number of posts discussing larger windscreens, but I am wondering about making it smaller. Is that weird? The stock windscreen on my 2007 650 runs right through my field of vision and acts as a sail in windy weather, I'd rather have less windscreen than more. I wonder if it's possible to "grind" down the existing screen or if anyone knows a source to find a shorter screen for a Burgman. Thoughts? tia

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have seen a number of posts discussing larger windscreens, but I am wondering about making it smaller. Is that weird? The stock windscreen on my 2007 650 runs right through my field of vision and acts as a sail in windy weather, I'd rather have less windscreen than more. I wonder if it's possible to "grind" down the existing screen or if anyone knows a source to find a shorter screen for a Burgman. Thoughts? tia
Before I got into scoots, I was a naked-bike kinda guy. I had a BMW R1200GS dual sport...and I loved the style. Loved the handling, too...but as I'm getting older, getting on and off was more and more a pain.

But it came with a goofy little windshield. I thought, gee, it would look so much better without it...so, with three Allen screws and two adjustable thumbscrews, off it came.

It did look better. But I underestimated the effect of the wind on me, even with a full-face helmet...having gotten spoiled from the windscreen.

One thing I LOVE about the Burgman is how relatively-sheltered you are from the wind. The footboards and dash do part of that; but so does the contoured windshield. The two that I had, both had Givi windscreens...that really helps.

But...everyone is different; and you won't know until you try. My advice: Shop for a Givi windshield for yours; with the hand-protectors...have the part number handy. Then take your windshield off and cut it down or have it done. Put it on and try it.

One of three things will happen: You'll like it, and that's the end of it.

You won't like it; and so you order that Givi windshield, like you should do anyway.

You like it some of the time and not others. High summer you want the cut-down one. Start and end of season, you want protection. Put the Givi on.

Be warned, though, changing windshields is a bit tedious.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
For a shorter answer, yes you can shorten it. You can cut it with a fine tooth blade in a sabersaw or with a cutting wheel on a Dremel type tool. Just go easy and don't force the cut. Use sandpaper to smooth and finish the edge.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
OP I hear you - especially in twists I want good vision over the screen.

Rather than cut it down....Clearview had a prototype "sport screen" on their site for cheap
I really like their products.
You might want to check that out instead of mucking with the stock screen.
I can't find it on the site -
http://www.clearviewshields.com/motorcycle-windshield/suzuki/burgman-650-shields/
Just email customer service.

Hi David…the “sport” shield for the Burgman is VERY short…really not designed for performance, but more for a sporty look around town at low speed. It will be approx. 9” shorter than the stock screen…

If I can help further, please let me know…

Thanks,

Mark
Customer Service
[email protected]
Clearview Shields
1-800-798-6089
The shortest replacement screen for the Exec is unfortunately 1.5" taller than the stock and that's annoying but not quite enough for me to cut it back down.

The other trick you could try is using a Beadrider to give yourself a bit of a lift. I really find mine an excellent addition.

·
Registered
748 Posts
^^^ I forgot about my BeadRider being OFF the bike when I measured and cut, now with the BeadRider on the top of the windshield is right in my sight line, so I have to sloutch or perk up a little to adjust for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts