Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Executive model;

I am considering a different windscreen and wonder if there are any options besides the Clearview ?
Had one of their screens on my ST1300 , it was ok but not much different from the OEM

Thanks for input,
Doug

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Givi

·
Registered
806 Posts
DandyDoug said:
2012 Executive model;

I am considering a different windscreen and wonder if there are any options besides the Clearview ?
Had one of their screens on my ST1300 , it was ok but not much different from the OEM

I also have a 2012 Exec. I replaced the OEM windscreen with a medium Clearview. I don't know about the ST1300 but on the Burgman the difference was remarkable. The wind noise and buffeting was considerable less. Having an adjustable windscreen I worried about which size to buy. Either the large or medium would have worked.

The best way I found to pick the right size was to trace the top edge of the OEM screen on a piece of carboard, then raise the carboard up the difference of the large Clearview and the OEM screen measured along the screen itself (not the height) and tape it in place. Ride with it for a day or so and you will know which is right for you.

I don't think you will find a better windscreen then the Clearview. Mark, at the company was very helpful.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just ordered a large tinted Clearview (w/ vent) for my new Burgman. The OEM windscreen sucks as bad as the OEM did on the Burgie 400. Had a Givi on the Burgie 400 and liked it but cut down on the needed airflow in the hot Texas summer.
I have a Clearview on my ST1300 and, to me, it makes a world of difference from the OEM Honda windscreen. Reduced backpressure, reduced turbulence, less helmet noise. YMMV.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just finally, after a year, got around to installing the Clearview windshield from my old '04 Burgman on the newer '07 Exec. That's right, the windshield from a standard will fit the Exec! The only difference is the placement of the lower mounting holes. This was verified by the good folks at Clearview. I made up a paper template to identify the location of the new holes and a unibit to drill them. It took under an hour start to finish. Apparently I'd forgotten just how nice the Clearview is or I'd have swapped them out months ago. The first thing I noticed is that the Clearview,  being thicker, doesn't flap in the breeze like the OEM unit does. I was honestly concerned that the stock windshield would one day depart the Burgman entirely and would at times ride with one hand on it to stop the shaking (the thing actually developed a crack radiating upward and inward from the upper left mounting hole). The second thing I noticed is how much calmer the breeze is behind the Clearview and the third thing I noticed is that the Clearview is quieter. By comparison I'd have to say the stock windshield is junk. Never tried the Givi or any others but I do know the Clearview to be a good product and I would definitely recommend it. 

·
Registered
630 Posts
My used Burg came with a Givi D257ST. It seems to generate a great deal of turbulence. I don't have a stocker to compare it with, so I can't really comment on the pros and cons.

Clearview seems to be a favourite, so I'm probably headed in that direction.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Had a Clearview w/vent on my 09 650, went back to the GIVI on my 11 650.

Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
Let me give you my opinion : The long GIVI is by far the best solution.
Appr. 30.000 mi in tough european weather conditions.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't quite get what the fuss is all about with regards to the standard OEM screen on the 650 Burgy. I have no issues with either screen on the 2003 or 2007 exec models. Naturally ones height, in-seam and torso length have a bearing on the ergonomics though so it's all relative and subjective. Can't say that I've been concerned about the OEM screen flapping violently, or being noisy to any great degree. YMMV

·
Administrator
20,110 Posts
Shields questions are like oil questions, so many answers.

I had a Givi on my 03 when I bought it used. I ended up cutting it flat across the top so I could see in the rain and snow. I also cut in a 1500 Goldwing vent but it did not help much.

My second 08 had a stock shield on and I rode it around and did not like it. Flapping/flexing and no hand coverage.

I got to ride a 650 with a Joric7 (Spelling?) and it was better. I also rode a Exec with a tall Clearview and would have gone with one of them if I had the electric adjustment.

But with KiwiDave being able to order factory direct and have a GIVI drop shipped for just over $132 at the time I went with that.

ANY screen can be cut or holed for vents. I am thinking about ordering two Vetter Pop vents. http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Online ... inal-46384

·
Registered
34 Posts
[attachment=0:3uy8hq7w]Burgman goldwing windshield 1..JPG[/attachment:3uy8hq7w]Hello All..............I use a Honda goldwing windshield...just drill 4 holes to line it up for your height..make 4 spacers to clear your bars and use longer bolts....cut the bottom off the gold wing mounts and your done...takes 5 min to remove.....KEN.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
bikerdoc said:
I don't quite get what the fuss is all about with regards to the standard OEM screen on the 650 Burgy. I have no issues with either screen on the 2003 or 2007 exec models. Naturally ones height, in-seam and torso length have a bearing on the ergonomics though so it's all relative and subjective. Can't say that I've been concerned about the OEM screen flapping violently, or being noisy to any great degree. YMMV
Amen to bikerdoc's comments. My first Burgy, a used 09 Exec came with a XXL Clearview installed but the seller also included the OEM shield. I couln't wait to remove the Clearview and install the OEM. In my opinion the Clearview created too much wind resistance and had a negative effect on handling. The 09, destroyed by fire was replaced by an 07 Exec with OEM shield. I wouldn't think of replacing it with an aftermarket. However, to each his own.

·
Registered
426 Posts
One thing I like about the EXECUTIVE model is the ability to vary the screen height (as well as the ABS [which I feel should be mandatory], the ability to electronically move the mirrors in and out [great for tight spots, lane splitting during stationery traffic etc]). The adjustable screen means I can set it in the lowest position on the fly, to get a nice face full of air while on the move, with the ability to adjust it up within a range to alter that air flow depending on seasonal variations, when it's raining, following a diesel spewing vehicle or dump truck carrying exposed loads (very common in mainland China with all the infrastructure projects/construction going on), or any other situation where a face full of <insert your material of choice here> is less than desirable. For these reasons and more, I don't see there'd be much of an issue on the Executive models. I have ridden a standard Burgy 650 and did find that I was just a little bothered by the non-availability of the screen at times, but not so much so that I would want to change it out.

But, as always YMMV.

Just my $0.02 (or yi jiao) worth.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Has anybody tried these guy on their burgy http://www.calsci.com/

Met the owner in our local dealer making a new template for the 2013 fjr1300

Just wondered if you could do the same as the gold wing ?

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I changed to a Givi on my exec. Better than the OE one but was a lot of suction pulling me onto the screen at speed. I cured that by fitting a rifle air vent to the screen. Much better, in fact too good because when I went on a Euroean trip to Monaco this summer, I suffered in the heat due to the lack of airflow. If I was still a smoker, I'm sure I could smoke a cigarette behind that shield at 60mph!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts