Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The "The Riders Magazine (29th July)<http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-sto...irst-ride.htm/> review of the 2013 Burg mentions " Holes were added to the lower edge of windscreen to reduce turbulence, but the screen flutters at high..." The 'back of the neck' turbulence on my K7 Exec. (with a Givi D263 ST) is excessive at whatever height the screen is set. Can anyone confirm that "holes at the lower edge" reduce turbulence? Presumably the holes allow air through to reduce the low pressure behind the screen and thus reduce the amount of air rushing back to fill the void? If so, please give me the specs for the holes - diameter (mm please), number of holes, specific location in relation to bottom edge/support brackets etc. Any useful comments/recommendations would be welcome before I start boring.

·
Administrator
18,394 Posts
I added some steel washers under my shield that allows air under. Try that and see.

Reactions: E.D.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi shavian,
On my 2013 650, the "holes" are NOT in the windscreen, they're in the windscreen cover. The air therefore passes under the "glass" and is directed straight up the backside of the glass helping flow the air higher off the top of the windscreen. Being my first burgie, I have no opinion on whether or not the holes are an improvement.
Ed

·
Registered
748 Posts
The hole between the headlights pushes air behind the windshield on 400s. On my '08 I can stick my hand in and see my fingers through the shield.
Never noticed that. I wonder what would happen if you plugged that off, or taped it off? Warmer on the cooler days?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've added a four holes to the base of my Givi windscreen. It reduced the turbulence somewhat but noise levels seemed the same (earplugs only in my case).

Start with a 1/4" spade bit to place the holes. Space them to allow for enlargement if needed. Before you break through, put the drill in reverse and push--this will melt though the last bit and reduce potential cracking. If you're drilling the windscreen while it's on the scoot, put a barrier behind it, so the drill point doesn't prick the dash housing.

Air does flow through even at 1/4" diameter holes, but not much (enough to blow plastic shavings out). I increased the holes to 3/8", then (after a test ride) to 1/2". As I mentioned previously, it seemed to help a bit.

Given all the curves and protrusions, I doubt the Big Burg is very aerodynamic and the rider/equipment variables complicate matters further.

Edit: I also cut the screen down by 4", since I dislike looking through windscreens on motorcycles--once they pickup bugs/mist (especially commuting in the rain), they get difficult to see through. It also reduced the quite strong buffeting at helmet level.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I cut 2 50mm (2") holes at the bottom of my cracked Giwi screen as an experiment, and it works so well that I never use the undamaged replacement, which gives more buffeting and noticeably worse fuel mileage.

Someone here had a Madstad screen made for his Burgman. The Madstad goes one step further and works like an air deflector, with equal amounts of air passing on both sides of the screen.+

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/41063-madstad-windshield-650-a.html#post406623

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/51245-madstad-windshield-2.html#post508176

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANK YOU to all those who replied. I'll probably install washers for a start & see what improvement those make.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I cut 2 50mm (2") holes at the bottom of my cracked Giwi screen as an experiment, and it works so well that I never use the undamaged replacement, which gives more buffeting and noticeably worse fuel mileage.
Hmm. Sounds like I need to enlarge/add more holes.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
My solution for me on my '08 400 was to just remove the stock factory windscreen and replace it with a Givi...........Very happy now.!!

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
I added some steel washers under my shield that allows air under. Try that and see.
How many washers did you put under the windscreen? Steel or Rubber Washers? I'm getting a new Givi D257ST for mine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too have what I would call extreme wind/cold down my neck. It's hard to believe such an age old problem hasn't been figured out and avoided at the mfg. design level. Like the V Strom too, it's different but worse yet. Madstad sounds like a possible answer.

Carl

·
Administrator
18,394 Posts
How many washers did you put under the windscreen? Steel or Rubber Washers? I'm getting a new Givi D257ST for mine.
You can only get about 1/8 inch of washers without going to a longer screw. I used two stainless steel washers.

Reactions: E.D.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I may be behind the game but I just emailed Madstad and asked them if they had anything for the Burg. here is there reply!

Hi Carl,

Yes, we do have a system for your ride and I have attached some images for you.

This kit includes a pair of adjustable brackets (3" height, 20 degrees angle) the "Sport SD" styled shield, in your choice of height and tint, along with all required attachment hardware. An example of pricing would be $219.95 for the complete kit with a 20" Light Gray shield.

At this time we do not have the Burgman system listed on our website so please give us a call should you decide to order. We will want to know your height and inseam as well as if any seat mods. This will help to recommend a shield size for you.

Thank You!
Blair

Support Team
[email protected]
(352)848-3056
(352)848-3646

·
Registered
582 Posts
Start with a 1/4" spade bit to place the holes. Space them to allow for enlargement if needed. Before you break through, put the drill in reverse and push--this will melt though the last bit and reduce potential cracking. If you're drilling the windscreen while it's on the scoot, put a barrier behind it, so the drill point doesn't prick the dash housing.

Air does flow through even at 1/4" diameter holes, but not much (enough to blow plastic shavings out). I increased the holes to 3/8", then (after a test ride) to 1/2". As I mentioned previously, it seemed to help a bit.
How do you enlargement the holes with a spade bit without wallowing since you loose the center support for the point when you drill the first hole through?

How does drilling a few holes improve the airflow significantly over and above the slot in the cowl at the base of the windscreen?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nobody's mentioned LeDude's website yet !!!! Refer his section on windscreen removal and shimming. Most comprehensive write-up............... as always. I shimmed the Givi D263ST on my machine so that the top lip moved rearwards, closer to my helmet. At highway speeds, with the screen max. UP, I find that head buffeting is greatly reduced. AS ever, there is a down side i.e. the inside of the screen surface get dirtier, faster and has to be removed for access to wash all the bugs off.

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
You can only get about 1/8 inch of washers without going to a longer screw. I used two stainless steel washers.
Thank You Dave_J, I will do that.
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts