Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after two months of ownership on the 650 and reading windscreen posts here, I think I've *finally* narrowed it down as to what to do about the small stock screen. I've delayed replacing it because its been so insanely hot here in Southern California (in the 100s) that having all that wind from the stock screen is a wonderful thing (at least for now).

I've come to the conclusion that the aftermarket replacement screens (Givi, Clearview, Gustaffson) are out because each of them contributes to the bike taking on too much more wind resistance (air brake effect). And I'm not all that keen on feeling no wind and hearing nothing except for engine pur.

Then there's aftermarket thingamajigs that attach onto the stock screen (Laminar Lip, Touratech, and Wing-Tips). I've checked out the Touratech online (looks like an interesting concept) which clamps onto the stock windscreen - put it on and take it off in a couple of seconds. The Laminar Lip seems to be well-liked by everyone who's tried it although I'm not sure what's involved in taking it off and putting it on in terms of time. Then I came across Wing-Tips which looks to me to be the ultimate attachment to the stock windscreen because unlike the Laminar Lip and the Touratech, the deflection angle is adjustable!! Finally!! Now I can have wind in my face if I want it, I can have it quiet if I want, or I can have it blasting my chest or if I change my posture I can adjust for that too! And while its pricey ($199), it has the advantages of easily taking it off and putting it on in addition to the on-the-fly adjustability. Laminar Lip at $79 is non-adjustable, and Touratech $91 is non-adjustable.

Now that you're sort of up to date, anyone have any opinions as to whether the $199 is enough to sway you away from this? I love the capabilities this offers but I'm having a really hard time with the price. It may very well be woth it but its more than twice the price of the Laminar Lip or the Touratech clip-on, and more than replacement aftermarket screens!

If anyone wants to check it out, go to http://www.saeng.com/2117.htm and check it out. While you're at it, they have some super cool other products, all equally as expensive!

I guess I'm wondering... if I had the Laminar Lip or the Touratech, would I be wishing that I could grab it while driving and readjust it to deflect air the way I feel llike having it (on my face or completely quiet)... and whether its worth the high bucks. Thoughts??

- Chuck

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
chuck807 said:
I've come to the conclusion that the aftermarket replacement screens (Givi, Clearview, Gustaffson) are out because each of them contributes to the bike taking on too much more wind resistance (air brake effect). And I'm not all that keen on feeling no wind and hearing nothing except for engine pur.
Thoughts??
Chuck,

I've decided to wait for Clearview to produce a replacement windshield for the Burgman 400. The additional wind resistance and the resulting drop in MPG is an acceptable trade off to me for the protection provided. The loss of airflow is a major concern, but I want the protection to stop the head buffeting at higher speeds. Cleaview now has the option for a vent in their shields. When the 400 shield is available, I'll order it with the vent option. That way I can still have the airflow to cool me when needed and be able to close it off when it's very cool out.

Use whatever you prefer. We all have different preferences. This is just what I think will be the best solution for me. I only hope clearview has the 400 shield available before it gets very cool so I can extend me riding season a bit.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I've seen several mentions of the Saeng edging being used by members of this group. What was the general opinion of it when used on the OEM 400 windshield?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The Saeng edging is one of the better ways to throw your money away, I have used it on my BMW and it did very little at best.
And most (if not all) the people I know feel the same way :(

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
billmeek said:
chuck807 said:
Thoughts??
Chuck,

I've decided to wait for Clearview to produce a replacement windshield for the Burgman 400. The additional wind resistance and the resulting drop in MPG is an acceptable trade off to me for the protection provided. The loss of airflow is a major concern, but I want the protection to stop the head buffeting at higher speeds. Cleaview now has the option for a vent in their shields. When the 400 shield is available, I'll order it with the vent option. That way I can still have the airflow to cool me when needed and be able to close it off when it's very cool out.

Use whatever you prefer. We all have different preferences. This is just what I think will be the best solution for me. I only hope clearview has the 400 shield available before it gets very cool so I can extend me riding season a bit.
Yep, that shows how we're all different! I want the airflow, just not so much of it. Heck, I'd rather wear sunglasses than have the flip-down shield on the helmet covering my entire face and feeling nothing! This is why I think that the Wing-Tips may be just the ticket for me, but that's me. I just hate the thought of spending $199 for it (actually more with shipping and all). Oh, and I'm not willing to trade the gas mileage for the wind resistance with the aftermarket replacement shields either... I might be more willing if we had a 6 gallon tank but as it is I'm going to the gas station more than I'd like.

- Chuck

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I went with the Givi it was (is ) a nice shield except #1- you had to look through the shield which I did not like and#2- there was very little air, so I cut off 2 inches
and this seemed to help a little, then I cut off 1 inch, then 1 more inch then 2 1/2 cuts.
The hardest part was keeping the crown but I have it down to looking over the top with nice air flow,
and I mean air flow not buffeting , And the extra wide shield keeps the bugs off my hands,
well most of them. :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Randy said:
I went with the Givi it was (is ) a nice shield except #1- you had to look through the shield which I did not like and#2- there was very little air, so I cut off 2 inches
and this seemed to help a little, then I cut off 1 inch, then 1 more inch then 2 1/2 cuts.
The hardest part was keeping the crown but I have it down to looking over the top with nice air flow,
and I mean air flow not buffeting , And the extra wide shield keeps the bugs off my hands,
well most of them. :)
Thanks for the reply!!! I'm not worried about the bugs on the hands as I ALWAYS wear gloves, even in hot weather!
The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to go with the Wing-Tip addtion to the stock screen.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
chuck807 said:
Heck, I'd rather wear sunglasses than have the flip-down shield on the helmet covering my entire face and feeling nothing!
I hear that...but am one of those that has a faceshield on his 3/4 helmet. The day I added it, I took a rather large bug right between the eyes at 70 miles per hour. Glad that I added it. For me it's safety first, comfort second (with wallet being a overriding control since it's empty). :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
billmeek said:
chuck807 said:
Heck, I'd rather wear sunglasses than have the flip-down shield on the helmet covering my entire face and feeling nothing!
I hear that...but am one of those that has a faceshield on his 3/4 helmet. The day I added it, I took a rather large bug right between the eyes at 70 miles per hour. Glad that I added it. For me it's safety first, comfort second (with wallet being a overriding control since it's empty). :)
I use a 3/4 with a face shield but took the face shield off because I really like the airflow. The sunglasses protect the eyes. And yes, I took a bug just above the eybrow at around 65 mph the other day. BUT.... if the wind were deflected more w/ an aftermarket add-on to the stock screen, that bug would have lived to see another day and I wouldn't be writing about this experience!!! So I guess the bottom line is, deflecting the wind may have the same effect as the face shield... maybe not quite to the same extent though.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I'm still waffling between looking over the shield and looking thru it. I'd prefer to look over the shield to have more airflow, no distortion, no fog worries, less wind drag. But looking thru the shield, I could drop the helmet faceshield and have more airflow direct on my face and faceshield issues. Comments?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
billmeek said:
I'm still waffling between looking over the shield and looking thru it. I'd prefer to look over the shield to have more airflow, no distortion, no fog worries, less wind drag. But looking thru the shield, I could drop the helmet faceshield and have more airflow direct on my face and faceshield issues. Comments?
Personally I'd go for looking over the wind shield. If your helmet has a removable face shield you'd have your choice for those days you'd want a face shield and those you don't. Either way, you'd be looking over the wind shield which I think is safer vision-wise, but not necessarily safer for flying objects. If you're in a rain-storm (even just a short-lived one of a few minutes) wouldn't you rather be looking over the shield??

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Good point. And I could always use one of the short faceshields on the 3/4 helmet to get a little more air too.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
One of the hard parts about getting a windshield that is right is it needs to be tall enough so that the air coming off the top "flips" up over your head or at least to the top of your helmet, while at the same time it is low enough for you to see over the top.
looking straight ahead your line of sight will be around 50 to 100 yards-anything closer you are looking through the shield-
Set up this way most bugs and rain is deflected over your head at highway speeds.
The problem is it takes a bit of playing around to set it up right for the way you fit and sit on the bike, but it can be done and is well worth the work. :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally took the plunge and placed the order for the SAENG Wing-Tip for the 650. I'll post my results in a couple of weeks after it arrives and I get a chance to get some use with it.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ha! Windscreens and add-ons... I've done so much experimenting with this that the screw threads are stripped on that back windshield screw cover on my 650...

As to the question above about whether $199 is too much to pay for a Wing-Tip, my answer would be "Not if it works for you". I see Chuck has ordered one, and I am really interested in hearing about the results.

I've always subscribed to the theory that you should be able to look over the top of the windscreen. But anytime you have wind coming off the top of the windscreen and contacting the top of your helmet, there is the probability that you will get some helmet buffeting. I just rode the 500 miles home from Scootercade with minor (but constant) helmet buffeting - and it got tiresome. And my neck is still a bit stiff today. I talked to several folks at Scootercade who are happily looking through their windscreens and experiencing NO buffeting - and they seem quite satisfied with that set-up.

As for me, I'm still experimenting. There may not be "windscreen nirvana" - but I kind of enjoy the challenge of chasing it...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I know Paul got rid of his Clearview XXL but for me, my riding comfort and pleasure has increased dramatically by installing it.

Having the vent installed also affords me to control and direct airflow on hot days. Helmet buffeting and wind noise are not mostly non existent.

Now I'm reeady for the 3,000 mile round trip to scootercade next year !!!!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
csachs1 said:
Having the vent installed also affords me to control and direct airflow on hot days.
I think that the vent is a significant break-through for Clearview. It should eliminate the sweltering heat I was dealing with behind the unvented XXL - or at least help reduce it. I like the old style Clearview screen I picked up at Scootercade, but if something should happen to it, I might try a vented XL or XXL as a replacement. I'm glad you like it!

csachs1 said:
Now I'm reeady for the 3,000 mile round trip to scootercade next year !!!!
Oh yeah! I hope I am there again too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts