Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride mostly freeway and the whistle from the wind inside my helmet is killing me. It seems to come from the back of the helmet. I have a full face helmet and a givi airflow. I tried different heights for the windshield but got no improvement.

The only way I am whistle-free is if I duck and also get very close to the windshield.

I started wearing earplugs (big help!) but it still is pretty stong as I have never been able to fit those (several different brands and types) very well.

I am thinking about trying the givi airflow without the top part (the part that slides), or the stock windshield, which I never tried as the burgman came with the airflow directly.

Any ideas on the airflow without the sliding part vs the stock one?

Any other recommendation apart from earplugs?

I hate looking through the windshield, so setting the airflow very high is not for me.

Thank you!

marco

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If adjusting the windshield doesn't help, you might consider looking at the helmet. Does it have any vents which could be adjusted? It's also a fairly simple matter to shim the bottom of the windshield forward a bit. This will allow more air to flow behind the shield and reduce the forward pressure on the air envelope. LeDude has an excellent tutorial HERE.

·
Super Moderator
18,085 Posts
It sounds like a helmet issue. I had something similar. If you have vents on your helmet, check them for bugs ( if you have them). I had a bug stuck in my windshield toward the bottom, and it whistled. The fact that the whistle goes away when you duck behind the shield, suggests that it it may be in the helmet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Stay with the Givi. You can try it without the slider, but it's going to be a heck of a lot more windy/noisy (though much easier to see). I'd address the issue from the helmet side.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ouch...I have plenty of vents! It is a gmax GM54
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gmax-gm54s-modular-helmet-solid

I closed all vents but no improvement. There are two vents in the back that cannot be closed. I am thinking about covering them all with ducktape and see what happens

keep the advice coming people, much appreciated! I start and I finish my work day with a big headache from the ride...not good. My ears spit out the earplugs withing a few minutes

Marco

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
ouch...I have plenty of vents! It is a gmax GM54
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gmax-gm54s-modular-helmet-solid

I closed all vents but no improvement. There are two vents in the back that cannot be closed. I am thinking about covering them all with ducktape and see what happens

keep the advice coming people, much appreciated! I start and I finish my work day with a big headache from the ride...not good. My ears spit out the earplugs withing a few minutes

Marco
I have several helmets and a stock 400 if you'd like to try them out. See if there is any improvement. Let me know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Liamjs, that's very nice of you man! In Italy they would steal all your helmets and your scooter ahah

I really appreciate. When we will finally meet to ride together I would love to try the stock windshield and a different helmet. Hopefully sometime in March.

I do have the stock windshield but don't want to spend half a day to install it to find out that it is worse.

In the meantime I am experimenting with ducktape. It seems that there is a big gap between the visor and the helmet on the sides. Also, the moving parts to flip up the chin bar (it is a modular helmet) has a big gap, maybe 1-3mm.

Regarding the givi, is it possible that the air is coming directly on my face from between the sliding and the fixed part? I am tempted to test it putting a sweater there or something like this. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have the cheaper Givi (DT 266 - I think is the number) and a half helmet. No whistle. I'm 6'2" and look through the windshield. It doesn't bother me at all, but I did have to adjust to it. I can look over the windshield with no problems but the wind noise is more up there!
I don't use ear plugs as of right now but probably will when I get back to riding.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all, almost a month later I have several updates (and more questions).

1) My helmet sucks. I love the built in shade and the fact that it is modular, but I did several experiments with some extra padding+duck tape and the noise improved incredibly. Specifically the top improvement is some duck tape across the entire top side of the visor. This means that not only is not a modular helmet anymore, but I cannot even open the visor. It's terrible at traffic lights, but at least I do not go crazy because of the noise.

2) My helmet does not fit me well? Not sure about this, but once solved the visor problem, above 50mph I have low frequency noise (more like boooms) inside the helmet. Is it possible is the "buffeting" I read in other posts? It seems to disappear if put myself in sport bike position (leaning forward and raising my head) but the helmet should be a touring one so I do not understand. I tried inserting a scarf between the back of my neck and the helmet, not always successfully. Might buy a Shoei Qwest or GT-AIR in the near future, I am sick and tired of the boooming. Problem is that I read of many people complaining also about these fancy expensive helmets.

3. I opened up a good part of the bike to adjust the headlights so once the windshield was removed I replaced it with the stock one. This week I will NOT change anything in the helmet so that I can compare the different windshield and I will reports in a few days.

4. Unrelated, but gas mileage has been around 57mpg with givi air flow windshield riding mostly at 75-80 (indicated), and I do 70% freeway. I will also report on this with the stock windshield when I have some data

Marco

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Typically, low frequency noise is associated with the fit of the helmet around the bottom of the shell. Shoei has a fair amount of padding in this area that will alleviate the low frequency noise.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just a FWI from me. I too experienced noise in my helmet riding behind a windshield. It happened to be on a Vstrom 1000 but the end result was changing the helmet. One of the problems with a modular is the shape of the helmet can cause noise or headshake from riding at speed. I resolves these issues by changing to a Shoei Qwest helmet. For me it resolved the noise issues overall and headshake issues I'd get while riding behind tall vehicles. I just purchased a used 2009 Burgman 650 and will eventually replace the stock windshield but my helmet is working well with the stock windshield modified with spacers like LeDude shows in his youtube video.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you, I will experiment more with extra padding around the neck before dropping the big bucks. Any ideas about the visor? Duck tape works great but I would really like to be able to open the visor.

Is a bad visor seal soemthing that they would cover under warranty, or is it just the way a cheap helmet is done?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it has been a while since my last update on the issue. I was really going crazy. I bought a Shark vision helmet. Beautiful and very well made. I wanted the integrated shade and so my choice were limited.

I went for a ride around the block and I thought I would have lost my hearing! Above 25mph it was like being on the freeway with my cheap Gmax 54. I could not believe it. It went back to the store unfortunately. The helmet was tight on the cheeks but I could touch my ears from the back/side of the helmet.

Next I bought a shoei Qwest. No integrated shade, but I had given up on that. Helmet felt snug everywhere except in the back of my neck. Went to work and the usual noise was there. Also no improvement whatsoever. The visor seal was great, so at least I did not need duct-tape there.

I decided that probably I could not find anything better so I kept it. I bought from europe the "wind whisperer" and the ear-pads for the Qwest. Unfortunately my Qwest is already a size Small and so the whisperer does not seal anything more the existing padding does. Wasted 55$.

Then, one day a friend tells me: just remove the windshield! OMG! I was reborn. Riding to work is such a pleasure now. I can hear the engine of the burgman, I can hear the other cars. All is muffled by my earplugs, but I can hear something different than extremely noisy change of air pressure inside the helmet.

I just love it.

Since I am writing about this, is it an issue to keep the bike without windshield if it rains? There is a pretty substantial opening where the windshield was and I am wandering if rain could ruin something.

What do you guys suggest? Any short windshield? Should I cut the stock one?

BTW, apparently I have a GIVE airflow that I need to get rid of. Did not post it on craigslist yet and I don't know yet for how much I could sell it. If interested PM me with an offer. I am in irvine, orange county (USA) if you are local and want to see it. I do not get notifications about PMs, so please write also here that you wrote to me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Why not just keep the AF266 and leave the slider part off? When I upgrade my helmet (using a half face now), that's what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried that and did not improve my situation.

I tried airflow at different heights, airflow with no slider, stock windshield and no windshield.

Without windshield it is fantastic, except that the sitting position in the burgman does not help fighting the resistance of the air.

But mainly I am concerned about water getting inside the bike from where the windshield should be...

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
My bet is this with proper fitting foam earplugs will shock you.

http://www.extremesupply.com/produc...orcycle-Mag8/BELLMAG8HELMET.html#.U32Kz15mv3w

One of the magazines reviewing helmets was suprised that this was one ofthe quietest helmets they tested.

I concur.
My convertible is noisy even with -33 earplugs in.

My Mag8 is quiet up to 50 mph without earplugs and incredibly quiet at any speed.
I had not realised how good until I brought back my convertible from Australia.

IF you are willing to ride with a 3/4 - it's a small price to pay for quiet riding.

I was tipped off to them by a race car driver.
Good enough for him on the track....good enough for me on the highway.

Excellent visor system as well and very light.

Another fan.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?209123-Bell-Mag-8-Helmet

I have yet to find a full face or even my convertible which I ride with up most of the time in Aus anywhere close to being as quiet.

These are what I use. I find them the best at noise suppression.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/17-aft...ugs-bulk-cheap-excellent-riding-bifocals.html

A tip - moisten them just a bit with saliva to get a better and easier fit.
Also a thin balaclava ( Oxford has one ) helps keep them in place ( Earphones if you use them ).

Good earphones like UltimateEars are designed to attenuate external sounds while providing superb sound.

These are excellent

Amazon.com: Logitech Ultimate Ears 600vi Noise-Isolating Headset - Dark Silver: Electronics

But with the TX500 tips.

Get the mix so you can find which works best.

Amazon.com: Comply Tsx-500 Comfort PLUS Earphone Tips (Black, 3 Pair, Mixed): Electronics

I have an audio gear background....there are inherent issues with full face and convertable helmets that are difficult or impossible to overcome.

The low frequency is high energy and hard to suppress....the 3/4 does not have that disadvantage.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Try standing high above the screen, I think you'll find that the sound drops considerably. I'm now using an Ermax +18 screen, which means looking throgh the screen, but has solved noise and buffeting for me.
+1 on the Shoei helmet also, mine is quite old but works well.
Otherwise try finding a Shark RSX mine looks like this
it works very well and I'm bowled over by the graphics. That said the noise with the Ermax is so low I keep forgetting to close the visor - only to be reminded sharply by bugs making Star Wars attacks on my eyes!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes, standing made the noise disappear completely but I am not sure what the police would think about a guy riding at 70mph standing on the bike. As you suggested, I did it a couple of times to confirm that the screen was at fault. After that I removed it and I am not putting it back, unless I find a short version or I decide to cut the stock one.

I have tried 8 different brands of earplugs, custom also (those that you make yourself, not the expensive stuff). None of them could suppress the noise.

I have always used a balaclava, but did not see any noticeable effect.

I do not think I can get a much better helmet than the shoei.

I do not know how to describe the noise issue I was having. Try to imagine opening a little the car windows on the highway and make it 100times louder. It would cover ANY other noise. With or without earplugs, although the earplugs would allow me to tolerate it a little, but I was hiding completely under the windshield for most of the time to eliminate the noise.

I am sure that the 3/4 helmet would make an amazing experience, but a colleague of mine told me that while he was sliding "on the chin" of the helmet after falling on the freeway, he realized that buying a full face had been a great idea!

Thank you all guys. Suggestions are all appreciated. If for some reason there is another guy on the forum that is going crazy because of the noise, this thread provided plenty of solution. Really thanks a lot.

So, do I cut the stock or do I keep the burgman naked? :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts