Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started riding my 2013 Burgman 650 to work once in a while. I have the Givi Windshield installed, which is larger than the stock one. I'm not sure what it is, but i've noticed that when I'm up at speeds past 70mph, it is very turbulent. I just bought a new Shoei RF-1200 Helmet, which helped a lot in quieting down the wind noise and head movement, but it still seems more turbulent than I remember when I rode my 2004 GSXR1000 with a small windshield.

Is anyone experiencing the same thing?:confused:

Thanks!
Eric

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have the same setup, a 2013 and the Givi. I previously had a '05 and an '11 that I had a Clearview shield on. I don't think there is much difference between the Clearview and the Givi as far as additional turbulence, but each has a little more than the stock windshield. I did add the vent to my Givi and tend to keep it open even in winter riding. Maybe you should give that a try.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jetfixer. Would you mind posting a link to the "vent" you mentioned?

Do you have a pic of it installed on your Burgman?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the vent on my clearview and I don't see any difference with turbulence with it open or closed. I don't think that's going to be a solution to your problem.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I think the vents on most windscreens are just to prevent back pressure from building up. Otherwise you get a low pressure zone in front of the rider and high pressure zone in back, thus pushing the rider forwards. I doubt the vents do much for turbulence.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I don't know how much louvers would impair the air flow, but 2 2" holes at the bottom of my Givi screen worked wonders, which merely chopping nearly 3" of the top off didn't on its own.

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't know how much louvers would impair the air flow, but 2 2" holes at the bottom of my Givi screen worked wonders, which merely chopping nearly 3" of the top off didn't on its own.
Same experience here. Chopped about 4" of the Givi top, drilled four 1/2" holes near the base. Way less turbulence. Still just as noisy though (still need earplugs).

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have the vent on my clearview and I don't see any difference with turbulence with it open or closed. I don't think that's going to be a solution to your problem.
I've experimented with the vent on my Clearview and found it decreased the backpressure. With the vent closed, the air will swirl around and hit you in the back just like it does with the unvented Givi. I never close the vent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've experimented with the vent on my Clearview and found it decreased the backpressure. With the vent closed, the air will swirl around and hit you in the back just like it does with the unvented Givi. I never close the vent.
This probably is dependent on rider height and position in the saddle relative to the WS.
I did also notice at least on the 2013+ 650 that there is a natural wind scoop in the front that sends air under the WS mounting then up in front above the dash. The higher the WS is raised the more air let in though this area. I think this also helps in reducing the back pressure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a similar set up on my 07, and I do get some buffeting. it's just the top of your helmet getting into the "dirty" air above the windscreen. The point at which the turbulence approaches the rider changes with speed and comes down as the force increases. So, at 70+ the turbulence shifts just enough to buffet your helmet a bit. Try to scootch down a bit and it probably will go away. There isn't a lot you can do about it short of making a taller windscreen or maybe those clip on wings you can put on it. Me? I just change my riding position enough to get out of the wind and I'm golden.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
It is worth noticing that modern screens do not have round holes.
The shape and placing will change the results you get.

Putting in some holes anywhere can reduce the pressure difference between the front and rear of the screen but it can mess up the airflow.
This might actually improve buffeting because it moves the turbulent boundary away from your helmet where it is most noticeable - but will usually create extra drag and cause the flow to cut in early behind the screen.

A properly designed vent presents a "blade" to the airflow at a shallow angle and is placed after the air has started following the curve of the bodywork. This allows some of the flow to split off and follow the inside of the screen; so at the edge of the screen you have air rushing to meet the original flow and prevent it immediately curling over into the area between you and the screen where pressure is lower.

Cutting down a screen can also affect the performance of a screen in unexpected ways because it removes the "kick out" at the top edge which is there to encourage the flow to break cleanly rather than tumble into the space behind the screen.

On this Pan European you can see how the smoke is travelling along the inside of the screen to the edges to help manage the flow.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I've also got the GIVI screen on my 2014 Burgman 650 but have added the MRA X-creen Sport to the top. It measures about 4" x10" and is both height and angle adjustable. This allowed me to "tune" the airflow over the top of the windshield and it does make a difference. However I should also note that at 6'6" tall, I'm looking over the top of the GIVI screen.

As to turbulence, I do notice that it's obviously more when I'm following other vehicles while in traffic and that causes buffeting of both me and the screen, but once I get out in smooth air things are great and much smoother.

Of course, having the power adjustable windscreen in combination with the X-creen means that I have found it possible to smooth out my airflow even as the speeds vary.

MRA X-Creen Sport
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x-creen-add-on-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade-bolt-on-11136

Here's a pic of how it looks.

·
Registered
630 Posts
4 ½" holes is half the area of 2 2" holes
The four half-inchers do the trick. Doubt there is such a thing as a truly quiet (as in no long term hearing damage) helmet and bike combo. I was just dealing with the turbulence.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just heard last week from PUIG USA That the new windshield for the Burgman 650 should be here by October-November at latest. Boat takes a month form Spain to get to US>
The last windshield I had from them eliminated the turbulence on my Kymco at 70+ MPH.
They specialize on racing windshields and they WindTunnel test every windshield for that reason. A computer may make a great design but in wind tunnel it may need adjusting in order to minimize the air turbulence at high speed as well as cut the wind and not act like a parachute. I also have a 2013 and have been waiting for the release and now its only a couple month away. I hope the Burgman design will not only eliminate the turbulence but really protect rider from cold and rain without sacrificing fuel economy. I'm very hopeful. Check Them out www.puigusa.com. You have to list it as a 2014-2015 Burgman Executive to get the listing. It takes about it but no picture, dimensions or price yet. still being developed.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I recently started riding my 2013 Burgman 650 to work once in a while. I have the Givi Windshield installed, which is larger than the stock one. I'm not sure what it is, but i've noticed that when I'm up at speeds past 70mph, it is very turbulent. I just bought a new Shoei RF-1200 Helmet, which helped a lot in quieting down the wind noise and head movement, but it still seems more turbulent than I remember when I rode my 2004 GSXR1000 with a small windshield.

Is anyone experiencing the same thing?:confused:

Thanks!
Eric
Different bike (I have a TMAX), but when I replaced the Givi touring screen with a Powerbronze Double Bubble screen, all the turbulence and wind noise went away.

I ride mine to work daily, from snow melt to snow fall.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts