Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Burg out for the first time on the freeway yesterday. I only did just over 70 mph due to the rpm restriction of 4k. The wind slapped me a few times and I got that quick jolt of adrenaline as I gripped the handlebars. Its been 10 yrs since I rode a motor bike. Can anyone comment if the Burg handles worse or better in wind than another motorcycle? I may have forgotten what its like to be thrown around by the wind. Wasnt sure if I was more susceptable since I was on the Burg.

·
Registered
15 Posts
4k & wind

Hey, Greengoose, glad to hear to are worrying about the 4k RPM limit during break-in too. We are at 400 miles. I need to get the manual back out and check out that first oil change interval so we can go to the next level. We, the wife & I, have only been driving doubled up at high speeds so far. Highway only, no Interstate yet. The both of us add over 400 lbs to the Burgman. We hit 4k RPM at 62-65 MPH. Smooth as silk, but I don't want to push it yet. When we hit the 70MPH plus, with higher RPMs, I'll give you my wind thoughts on the interstate.

I rode a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 for one year. Then, I rode a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1500 for the next five. After now riding the Goldwing I bought 3 months ago (new, but a 2002), and riding the new Burgman 650, I can't believe how safe I feel in the wind, and in turns. Even if the wind blows me hard, I seem to only drift one foot over, not more, and I get right back in control. I didn't used to get back in control as fast. I guess my "cruiser" bike days are over. I like the Burgmans Sportsbike feel without the Ninja seating position.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had mine up to 110 mph (indicated) and it was very stable.
I have had a Helix, Reflex and a Silverwing. This is the most stable of them all.
This is also the most stable in the turns by far.
This thing weighs around 600 pounds without you on it. The only thing getting blown around is most likely your body. The same thing happens on a regular motorcycle, only you have the gas tank to brace yourself against. If it is you getting blown around you are probably putting force on the handlebars causing you to think that it's the bike wobbling around, when in fact it is you.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The same thing happens on a regular motorcycle, only you have the gas tank to brace yourself against. If it is you getting blown around you are probably putting force on the handlebars causing you to think that it's the bike wobbling around, when in fact it is you.
Good point. It was also very windy yesterday. We were post flood recovery. (If anyone seen Las Vegas on the news 2 days ago.) We had a 2nd storm rolling in but no rain this time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yea I can wait till I can open the Burgy up a little. I have just had mine over a week and still keep it around 4000rpm or lower. I haven't been on the freeway yet but as soon as I can ..look out. I have had Goldwings mostly and the Burgy is just as stable and just as smooth as the goldwing. And I might add even as quiet. And at less than 1/2 the price of a goldwing the Burgy is the smart way to go.

:lol:
Billy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Greengoose said:
I took my Burg out for the first time on the freeway yesterday. I only did just over 70 mph due to the rpm restriction of 4k. The wind slapped me a few times and I got that quick jolt of adrenaline as I gripped the handlebars. Its been 10 yrs since I rode a motor bike. Can anyone comment if the Burg handles worse or better in wind than another motorcycle? I may have forgotten what its like to be thrown around by the wind. Wasnt sure if I was more susceptable since I was on the Burg.
Greengoose:

The day I picked up my Burgman there was a stiff 30-40 mph crosswind. Yes I got buffeted around by the wind but the Burgy cut right through it. My opinion is that it has great aerodynamics and stability. I hadn't ridden a bike in 30 years so I can't compair it to any other bike either.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Burgman + wind

You got blown a foot!!! sideways??

My God!

On my BV200 I've never been blown more than an inch or two at 70 mph and that was with 40 mph gusts.

Trucks never even phase me.

I hope when I get the 650 I won't be in for a let-down in terms of cross-sectional wind resistance!

I feel wind, as will anything going highway speeds, but it doesn't BLOW me across laterally.

David

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
This is one of my big questions about the scooters. We have severe Santa Anna winds here & I wonder how secure you feel on the seat without the gas tank between your legs? It may be only subjective but do you feel any sense that your seating is not secure?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi gruntled!
I took my Burger 650 out in Hurricane force winds and rain about 2 days after I picked it up. I wanted really nasty weather so that all the electronics and wiring would get a good dose of reality. I figured if there was a problem it would show up in these extreme conditions. I normally don't ride in this type of weather but thought it would be a great test for the bike. It passed with flying colours. I had to compensate for cross winds but they were noticed more in my Minivan than on the bike that day. I never once felt insecure about my hold on the bike. I guess in actual fact that there is probably less surface area from the side over a conventional bike that it helps, not to mention that most of the weight on the Burgs are down lower. The center of gravity is definetly lower than a conventional bike thus giving it a more solid feel on the road. I hope this helps.
Allan

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
650 stability in windy conditions

I've owned about 15 motorcycles, all road bikes, everything from sport bikes to full dress touring. My Burgman 650 is the most stable machine in crosswinds that I have ever owned. I currently have a Suzuki 1000cc V-Strom motorcycle as well as the 650. On a really windy day, I'll pick the Burgman to ride. Of course, I live in the Mid-west now. Folks here don't even consider it to be a windy day unless the wind is gusting over 30mph... 10 to 15mph wind is very common. It is real important that tire pressure is correct and that the rear suspension is set a bit stiff. For me, handling under windy conditions is good with the shocks set to the 3rd notch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts