Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd be curious to hear how others deal with wind noise. I rode about 200 highway miles this weekend, and found the wind noise at 70 mph plus to be a bit intimidating. It seems like the wind whips up inside my helmet -- HJC flip-up SyMax model -- and makes it hard to ride comfortably and confidently.

I do wear ear plugs, which help some but not enough. Wondering if anyone's using a Shoei helmet, reputed to be the most quiet. I'm assuming that a full-face helmet would be more quiet than my flip-up.

I'm using the stock windscreen on the 650 -- not sure whether changing the screen will change my riding experience. Seems like the downside to a larger shield is a larger sail.

Joe

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the exact same helment and the wind noise on my 650 was too much for me to enjoy at high speeds as well Joe until I changed out my stock windshield with a Clearview XL. Now the wind is little to no problem at 80 mph plus. Of course it was a $145 investment.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Joe,

Helmets do make a difference in both the level of wind noise and buffeting. Part of that is the helmet design, and part is how well it fits you. The flip-ups are reputed to be noisier than regular full face models. I like the Shoei helmets - they seem to work the best for me. But experimentation is the key. If you can get a dealer to let you take several helmets for a test ride, it is worth your time to do it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clearview

What's the verdict on the Clearview XXL regarding

a) larger shield means larger sail to push through windy highways
b) pressure behind driver as is common when using a giant shield
c) the look of the Burgie with a giant window on its front

I'm leaning toward the helmet solution. I had similar issues on my Aprilia Atlantic and bought several shields, none of which really solved the problem.

Joe

·
Registered
125 Posts
I noticed the same when I bought my 650 in July. I bought a HJC half helmet from the dealer at the same time. At 6' with a 32" inseam I found that the wind noise and buffeting very intense at anything over 55-60. I ordered the Laminar Lip for about $80 and the buffeting went away all the way up to 80+. I also bought an open face HJC model CL-33. It is an open face with a new design flip up face shield that really works well, and only cost about $90. It cut down on the wind noise so that I don't need earplugs.

I'm not sure how much better the Shoie would be as far as wind noise for the price difference.

Dave Spencer

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
jkrerol15 said:
I have the exact same helment and the wind noise on my 650 was too much for me to enjoy at high speeds as well Joe until I changed out my stock windshield with a Clearview XL. Now the wind is little to no problem at 80 mph plus. Of course it was a $145 investment.
Joe, I can only "ditto" this quote. I, too, have the same helmet but I installed the Clearview XXL. You still hear the wind rushing past the bike at speed (you can't eliminate this) but now there is no helmet noise or buffeting.
I'm still comfortable behind the shield on a hot day and I haven't noticed any handling problems that may be caused by the large shield (at least up to my usual max of about 65 mph). Well worth the $200. :D
Don

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: Clearview

joezeff said:
What's the verdict on the Clearview XXL regarding

a) larger shield means larger sail to push through windy highways
b) pressure behind driver as is common when using a giant shield
c) the look of the Burgie with a giant window on its front
A) Yes. You'll have a drop in both top speed and MPG.
B) The new vent option from Clearview may address this issue.
C) A price you pay for the extra protection. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a cut down screen, wear ear plugs and wear a Nolan flip-up helmet and I have absolutely none of the windscreen related problems I read about on this forum. The plugs keep things quiet, I've never experienced any buffeting and I've ridden many 600 mile days. Even with the stock screen I had no problems. I cut it down after a hot trip through Nevada when the screen prevented air circulating through my riding suit. That sorted out the problem, now I ride cool! I have attached an adjusable extension which I can use in case of rain. Haven't used it yet.
I'm 6' with a 32" inseam.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
719 Posts
Burger Bob said:
For what it's worth, I have a cut down screen, wear ear plugs and wear a Nolan flip-up helmet and I have absolutely none of the windscreen related problems I read about on this forum.
How many inches did you cut down the screen? If you don't recall, how many inches is it from the bottom of the black plastic windshield bracket, below the silver "S" logo to the top of your screen? Did you take it to a glass shop to have it done?

Thanks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
joezeff said:
I'd be curious to hear how others deal with wind noise. I rode about 200 highway miles this weekend, and found the wind noise at 70 mph plus to be a bit intimidating. It seems like the wind whips up inside my helmet -- HJC flip-up SyMax model -- and makes it hard to ride comfortably and confidently.

I do wear ear plugs, which help some but not enough. Wondering if anyone's using a Shoei helmet, reputed to be the most quiet. I'm assuming that a full-face helmet would be more quiet than my flip-up.

I'm using the stock windscreen on the 650 -- not sure whether changing the screen will change my riding experience. Seems like the downside to a larger shield is a larger sail.

Joe
I have the XXL Clearview. I look "through" it and it helped a lot for "blast", BUT....The noise to my ears is almost as bad STILL. I have experimented with several helmets as Paul advised me and it helps a bunch. For ME, it's the backdraft now that's catching my ears. Nothing has worked completely "FOR ME" however. Mike

·
Registered
969 Posts
I also have the HJC Flip-up. I opted for the Clearview XXL as well, and though it has impacted my mileage by around 4 mpg, I'll put up with it for the substantial reduction in noise level. I do get more back pressure (I really hate a cold neck - I'm going to have to do something about that), but it's acceptable, IMHO.

Also, I don't think my Clearview was $200. Maybe more like $150.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Russell, I cut off 4 inches. I used a Dremel table jig saw. The trick is to run a strip of masking tape along the line where it is to be cut. This helps you see the line and prevents the plexiglass from melting and sticking to the blade. It also prevents scratches from the saw bed. I've used this method many times and it works great. I use a medium tooth blade. I actually used the piece I cut off as the extension, similar to the Laminar Lip, but I have mine bolted on with slotted holes so that I can adjust the height, although I've never used the high position. I like it the way it is.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
409 Posts
My two cents worth. I have the GIVI screen and a sy max helemet. The helmet is absolutely quiet at highway speeds with the visor open. Close the visor and it is noisy as hell. I then use earplugs which help.

·
Registered
822 Posts
joezeff said:

Joe
I got the Saeng Wing-Tip which immediately solved the problem. This weekend I went for a 2-up, 115-mile drive and had the bike has high as 102 mph (indicated) with no problem. Granted the Wing-Tip is really expensive (more so than a replacement after-market screen), but its adjustable on-the-fly so that you can get no windflow, full windflow, or anything in between. No other product is adjustable like that (while you're riding)!!. Before you consider it however, see my review in the "Official Reviews" section on this board.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

Bought a Shoei RF-1000 helmet today. Have to add the breath guard to reduce the fogging which clouds the shield at every red light and stop sign. All in all, I'm still hearing too much wind. Tried it with vents open and closed, earplugs in and out. Grrrr. Waiting for JohnnyDeath to get his Clearview screen installed to see if that makes things better...

Thanks everyone for input. What a great forum. I'm wondering if wind noise is relative -- it just bothers some more than others. What some define as quiet may be considered noisy to others. And I'm wondering if it's conceiveable -- or desireable -- to make the cockpit of a Burgman 650 as quiet and calm as the driver's seat of a Boxster convertible.

Joe

·
Registered
520 Posts
Re: Update

joezeff said:
. And I'm wondering if it's conceiveable -- or desireable -- to make the cockpit of a Burgman 650 as quiet and calm as the driver's seat of a Boxster convertible.

Joe
Nope, NEVER. But maybe almost as fun?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
joezeff's huge avatar sure has an interesting effect on page format...

Joe, any chance of shrinking that pic down a bit without losing clarity?

Not a big deal, but it does limit the text portion of any page it appears on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts