Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm onto my second Burgman and recently purchased a low-mile 03 model which I rode from NYC to New Orleans. It's currently on a ship heading to me here in New Zealand (I got home early last week)

My only concern with is is a high-pitched whistle which sounds as though it is coming from the dash area. It only kicks in at about 30mph and fluctuates a little due to speed and/or wind direction. I can't see anything obvious which could be causing this and would appreciate any suggestions

·
Super Moderator
18,085 Posts
The one time I had a whistle from the windshield was when a Butterfly was stuck towards the bottom of the wind screen.

Can you narrow down where the sound is coming from?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Funny this was a pretty common issue as I recall back in the day, something to do with the windscreen and/or bezel fit causing a wind noise. Mine I bought back in '03 did it also but went away after putting the Givi on but I seem to recall it was airflow over the bezel and how it fit that caused it. Not all did it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's interesting you found it on your 03. It wasn't an issue on my 02 but is very noticeable on my 03. Do you know if there is an easy fix?

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
From this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6505&hilit=+windshield

"It could possibly be the famous "Windshield Whistle", but instead of a whistle you may be getting a buzzing sound. When it occurs take your hand and gently flex one of the upper corners of the windshield, if the buzz goes away you may have found the problem. When my stock windshield did it, I just put some foam in the gap at the bottom of the windshield and it cured the whistle".

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
toa said:
That's interesting you found it on your 03. It wasn't an issue on my 02 but is very noticeable on my 03. Do you know if there is an easy fix?
I vaguely remember while riding and the noise occurred pushing slightly at the top of the windscreen would get the noise to stop. As Burgermiester suggested it should be a simple fix to remove the screen and remount with some thin foam tape in areas where it contacts the mounting bracket. Since I put on a Givi I never persued the actual cause and repair.

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
Windshield noise can be hard to pinpoint. My 03 had a GIVI when I bought it. It did have a VRRRRRRRR noise that would go away it I put my hand over the top. I cut 2.5 inches off and that noise went away.

Flash forward to this 08 I am riding. I bought it in Dec 2010. I did not like the factory shield's protection so Kiwi Dave made me a deal on a new GIVI shipped to my house for $162. I ran that shield till about 35,000 miles when it cracked at the top left mounting hole. I removed it and put the stock one back on. Whistling noise and lack of wind protection forced me to repair and modify my GIVI. I cut it down 3.25 inches and shimmed the bottom out by 1/8 inch to lay the top back. Now I have no buffeting but it has picked up that VRRRRRRR noise again. I will pull the washers (shims) out from the bottom and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My issue is definitely one of whistling and not of vibration

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
toa said:
My issue is definitely one of whistling and not of vibration
When you receive the bike take it for a ride, when the noise happens push the top of the windscreen forward or back and see if it goes away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts