Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm enjoying the new 400 immensely - however, with wind gusts to 40 km/h, I'm starting to fear for my life. I'm almost losing control on the highway, when speeds are over 90 km/h.
I'm not pleased with the stock screen, and will soon be investing in a Givi - the reason for this post is to ask if the Givi is a big improvement in windshear?
I know wind is going to hit me on the sides no matter what, but does the Givi even help?
Any Canadian sources/prices you all recommend?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Darcy,

The larger Givi screen actually provides more 'sail area' so the bike is effected more by wind. On the plus side, you are more protected from the wind. Only if your problem is wind hitting your upper body forcing you to tighten your grip might the Givi help.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Sorry it sounds as though you are exercising the 'death grip' on the bars because of your anxiety and any wind gusts are transmitting input to the bars via your upper body. Relax. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also have a 400 and the wind can seem daunting. If you relax and lean into the gust you will be fine. The bikes are very well balanced and I have not met a wind gust yet that I can not handle. I was riding the other day when a sudden storm came in with gusts up to 30 mph. I had to lean like I was in a hard left turn to keep the bike on the road, but that is the exception. The more you ride, the more you will learn the bikes tendancies and what to do in each situation. Ride Safe and Ride often.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Recently went with a friend to get his new Silver Wing, he had rode his Reflex - possibly to trade in, but then decided to keep it and just buy the SW outright. So I had to ride the Reflex back and it was gustying pretty good, at times it felt like the wheels might be blown out from under the scoot.

Best not to wear apparel with billowey sleeve as the wind gusts will transmit this to your arms and then to the handlebars. Have to anticipate where gusts are going to hit you the most, like coming out from under a viadock, or into an open area after having trees on both sides of the road, and etc.

Guess Tulsa Belly-Pans wouldn't work any better under a Burgman than they did under a Gold Wing. :lol:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry it sounds as though you are exercising the 'death grip' on the bars because of your anxiety and any wind gusts are transmitting input to the bars via your upper body. Relax

Actually, when I hit speeds of about 100 km/h (60 mph), gusts coming from either side will push the bike to another side of the lane if the gusts are strong enough. I'm 190 lbs, so I'm not that light.
I ride relaxed, and have been riding for 25 years (since I was 10), so no experience probs here.
I just have probs with the unpredictability of the Burg in high winds. I like the fuel savings and performance of the Burg 400 to have to upgrade to a Burg 650 or Honda Silverwing (yet).
I like to ride long distances, and don't want a little wind to get in my way. I know a Givi won't protect me from side gusts much, but if it's large enough to maybe transmit the drag of wind from the front further to the back so the whole bike isn't as affected?

I might invest in the Givi anyway and will share the experience here. If I'm not blown off the highway first....

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Day one of my recent Kansas ride was very windy. The big XXL Clearview screen did help. No, it cannot stop the side wind gusts (and the wind was hitting me from the side most of the time). But it still takes the frontal wind pressure away, which makes the side gusts much easier to deal with. So I think you'll see some improvement if you mount a Givi.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Darcy said:
I just have probs with the unpredictability of the Burg in high winds.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the small wheels? Switching between riding a motorcycle and riding the Burg, I find the Burg more darty and twitchy. The gyroscopic force of larger wheels may make it track a straighter line in more adverse conditions--that's one of things I wish the Burg had.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When a wind gust hits the side of the bike, the wheels seems to force over to the other side of the lane.
Makes for a less relaxing ride.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Darcy said:
Actually, when I hit speeds of about 100 km/h (60 mph), gusts coming from either side will push the bike to another side of the lane if the gusts are strong enough. I'm 190 lbs, so I'm not that light.
I ride relaxed, and have been riding for 25 years (since I was 10), so no experience probs here.
snip.
Apologies Darcy - you clearly have a lot more experience than I so I withdraw my suggestion.

I fitted the Givi to my Svelte shortly after purchase (as I did with the Lardy too) so have no real reference point to call an improvement.

However, I have not been troubled by side winds unduly.

Before you go the $ route with the Givi (which is worth it for lots of other reasons - also bear in mind that the Clearview option has credibility on this forum too) - try adjusting your rear shocker - on the Svelte I reckon winding it up to MAX improves general handling and it may reduce the twitchiness you are experiencing,

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before you go the $ route with the Givi (which is worth it for lots of other reasons - also bear in mind that the Clearview option has credibility on this forum too) - try adjusting your rear shocker - on the Svelte I reckon winding it up to MAX improves general handling and it may reduce the twitchiness you are experiencing,
so turn it all the way clockwise?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Darcy said:
When a wind gust hits the side of the bike, the wheels seems to force over to the other side of the lane.
Makes for a less relaxing ride.
But it's not really the wheels forcing the bike to do that. There's more force thats pushing against your body, the fairings, and the windshield.

I think having larger wheels (unless they were solid) would counter those forces--but since that's not going to happen I think it's just the nature of the beast.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Darcy - clockwise that is correct (it is shown in the owners manual too).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts