Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I’ve mentioned before, I live in a small town here in Alabama. Not much unlike any other town in the world that’s small, however, it is well off the beaten path. There are a lot of interesting roads close by this town, and previous to this weekend, I pretty much have been running a usual, boring path. A little curvy, but nothing that can’t be handled.

On Saturday, I decided to try a different path, one that I knew to have a lot more twisties. Fortunately, the roads are not well populated (basically these are country roads with flattop), and have no other discernable purpose as they are not good for moving from Point A to Point B. Along this one road, apparently, the sound of the scooter spooked a wild turkey that had been resting in the bushes about 3 feet off the road. He (she or it) jumped into the air and started flying, and was not more than 3 or 4 feet from the bike and me. I had a good look at the Turkey, and even though it was a close call, I was able to keep on driving.

Today, I’ve decided that pets and cars are not the only obstacles that we riders need to worry about. At another point in my afternoon ride, I pulled up to an intersection and was readying to turn left, when I hear a strange sound – a roaring sound coming from my right. I waited on this to see what it was and around the bend came a sight I haven’t seen in a while… An original Hummer – the H1 version – complete with underwater snorkel.

I tucked in behind the Hummer and it steadily pulled away from me, more so from my lack of desire to chase than from his desire to lose me. Eventually, I lost him altogether, until I came upon a cloud of dust and I decided that the Hummer had turned off road (after all, they were designed for that) to my immediate right. I caught a glimpse of tall mound of dirt, but that was all I could see.

Not 100 yards further up the road, the Hummer must have spooked a critter that came bounding across the road not 40 feet in front of me. I tried to identify this critter that cleared the road in two bounds when I was not more than 15 feet from it’s path. Instinctively, I knew this was a feline. Just had that look, but it was a Large feline because it was at least as long as a car is wide. The first thing that popped in my head was Mountain Lion, but I discounted that immediately as this cat did not have a tail. What kind of big cat doesn’t have a tail, I asked myself… A Bobcat doesn’t. What I had seen was a very large bobcat. At this point I looked down at the speedometer and saw I was only going about 10 miles an hour. So, I did as the makers of the bikes intended… I did a Twist and Go. I didn’t know if the bobcat had seen me or not or had decided that it might could catch me, but I wasn’t going to take any chances.

The twisties were a lot more fun after that.

Sorry for the length, I just had to share this.

Joe

1 - 1 of 1 Posts