Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife emailed me in Iraq and told me my grey tinted (as explained to me on the phone) Clearview XL arrived today. I wont be able to install it till Feb 17th ish. Has anyone ordered one and received it yet?
-Bryan
(Still in IRAQ!)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is the Clearview XL a larger screen than the Givi? If so how much larger? :?:

·
Registered
857 Posts
just got my Clearview XL installed Monday

I just got my new Shield on Monday, Clearview XL. Installation was pretty easy, but took me about 4 hours - i'm quite a novice at doing this stuff. :roll:

Test drove it with the relatively clear plastic cover on it to make sure it was ok. It was fine, so removed the plastic and finished the installation.

Was not able to drive it much, but hope to as soon as the rain lets up. Phoenix doesn't get rain often, but we are today. I've been traveling earlier this week, so its been killing me to not be home so I can give it a test drive.

The shield seems to be perfect in size. I just barely see over the top of it, and the wind goes just over my head. Much of the wind is off my hands as well, but still a bit of wind on my outer arms. I also got the grey tint model, but it is pretty light tinting.

Haven't gotten it on the highway, so don't know how much flex/vibration it will show, but it does seem thicker than the stock. I took some photos of it compared to the stock shield i had just taken off. I can email them to anyone if they are interested. I've not downloaded them from our camera, but they should be decent quality.

I realllllyyy like how much quieter it seems. I had my full face helmet on with the visor up, and I barely had any wind on my eyes.

A bit concerned that i'll be too hot in the Phx summer, but I guess I can put the stock back on if needed.

One issue about putting the new shield on: :idea:
The rubber grommets holding the shield on were a bit trickey, but I'm sure all you experts can figure it out quicker than I did. After removing the screws from the middle of the grommets, it's relatively easy to pull the stock shield off, but the grommets stay put. To put the new shield on, I pulled the grommets off, and pushed them into the holes of the new shield. Then I barely inserted the new screws (that came with the shield) into the grommets. Then, pushed the grommets (with shield attached) into the holes they go into. If the screws are not threaded a little into the grommets, it makes it very difficult to get them to go in.

Hope that makes sense, and helps out anyone who struggles with this like I did.
Flint

·
Registered
857 Posts
Clearview seems ok

The new Clearview shield seems to be working well. I do get some back pressure starting at about 65 mph, which i've read that the Givi does as well. The pressure starts at the helmet and moves down to the back as well at about 70 or so. At 80+, it gets a bit uncomfortable.

Guess it'll keep me from speeding too much unless I can figure out some way to reduce it a bit. I've read about the shield shims posted elsewhere. Strange, but the bolts that Clearview sent with the shield were longer than the OEM bolts. Perhaps they are sending a subtle message?

Anyway, the shield definitely keeps the air off my face very well, and I don't see a lot of movement/vibration in the shield thus far. Had a bit of head-wind today driving home.

Regarding the backpressure - one strange issue - the back of my neck gets cold. I've got a fairly high collar jacket and before this new shield, I was just fine. Seems like i'm getting a bit more air on my outer/under legs as well. Guess the air has to go somewhere.

Flint

·
Registered
35 Posts
Installed the clear XL Clearview Jan. 20 on my 650 and found it a major improvement- thicker material plus more curves give much less flutter, hand protection is better, and the additional height is not very obvious. I would have preferred a screen 1 or 2 " taller, but esthetics would suffer and Clearview did not seem to be anxious to build one taller, presumably due to additional stress on the mounting system. I have no experience with the GIVI so can't comment on that one. My guess is that you will like the Clearview. Regards

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The following are from flintbobbi. Enjoy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed the givi windscreen and tested it on atrip from tucson az to globe az,distance about 90 miles. Did notice some slight flexing which I never had with the givi on my honda reflex. I like the hand protection on the givi and am able to wear less restrictive gloves.
injun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts