Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Burgman 400 has 4500 miles and is in perfect shape. Kelly Blue Book for this bike is $5280 and I have a price of $4950 on it. It's in my local Craiglist (Long Island, NY), and on display on the main road in my town out on the end of Long Island.

I've had no response from Craigslist. Every day people stop and look at the bike on the road, spend some time looking it over, write down the phone number, drive away, and only 3 people have talked to me. No one has made a serious offer.

I'm mystified. Is there some review out there that slams the Burgman? I figured I'd get some action on Craigslist because I think that would be the first place someone interested in a Burgman would look.

For the shape the bike is in and the mileage, I don't think I'm overpriced. But I could be wrong.

Do you think the price is scaring people off? Is the Burgman just too unusual?

What kind of a price would a dealer offer? Are dealers even interested in used stock?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Maybe reason is not good enough?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Reality is things don't sell because the price is too high. Not necessarily higher than what it's worth to the right buyer, but because it's too high for the general audience--and selling things (anything) on the used market for thousands of dollars is difficult.

Despite how the lapdog media tries to spin it the economy sucks and people just don't have that kind of disposable cash on hand. Financing a used bike, except through a dealer, is next to impossible.

A dealer would likely offer $3000, because they would only be interested in buying it if they can turn a big enough profit. Keep in mind they will have to inspect it, service it and provide some sort of warranty.

The MSRP of a 2015 400 is $7,999--that means a larger dealership can buy a new one for around $5500, maybe less...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I would also add your location might be hindering you. Orient NY is not exactly a traffic haven....I'm sure it's a beautiful place but, a potential buyer may have to drive a couple of hours or more to get to you.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My 2012 Burgman 400 has 4500 miles and is in perfect shape. Kelly Blue Book for this bike is $5280 and I have a price of $4950 on it.
That's why. $320 below book? That ain't no bargain. Drop your price to $4000.

If something doesn't sell, it's because the price is too high, plain and simple.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
That's why. $320 below book? That ain't no bargain. Drop your price to $4000.

If something doesn't sell, it's because the price is too high, plain and simple.

I tend to agree. When someone selling something mentions the words "Kelly Blue Book" in an ad. I usually pass their ad right up. To me it means: "they have done online research that has led them to believe they can get more $ than their item is worth in the real world.".

It means to me they are not going to negotiate much , and they will hold on to their item hard headedly for years if need be.

Kelly Blue Book also means to me "if I pay that price, I'm letting myself get ripped off". I will add however, maintenance records, immaculate condition, and an owner that has shown passion in keeping their property in tip top shape are the things that will get me to pay a little more than I should.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Actually Burgmans are selling very well especially the 650's . But and it's a BIG BUT !! the 650's have to be low mileage pristine condition and priced below $4,000 . The 400's pretty much the same , pristine condition low mileage and around $2,800 . That is the market and the market is what the market is . Buyers want the sellers to eat the majority of the depreciation for them . I've been watching nation wide Craigslist Burgman 650 listings for the past month or so , and when one comes up with low miles in pristine condition and priced under $4,000 , it sell in 48 hours on average. That's right , I said an average 48 hours .

This seller says he is asking below "book value" , well book value in this market means ZIP ! Book value may mean some thing when you're settling up with your insurance co. , but in this market it means NOTHING !

I see new ads all the time asking BOOK VALUE and NO LOW BALL OFFERS !
I always laugh because I know all to well that LOW BALL is the new retail .
Check this out a 2009 Tmax with a Russell Day Long seat just sold for $3,000 on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/301639585748?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
A guy here had a 400 for sale with less that 300 miles on it for $3,999 for 3 FRICKING YEARS , and there were no takers .

The simple truth is bikes are selling , but they are not selling for book value or any where near that . We have bikes here on the local Craigslist for years at BOOK VALUE , the sellers are stubborn and won't sell unless the get their price . So they will die with them I guess ?

Take a good look at the above Tmax , even with a Russell Day Long seat it went for 1/3 of what it was new . So your 400 Burgman 400 is in reality worth about HALF of book .

That's the new reality .....TheReaper!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I sold my 2013 Burg 400 with 10,800 miles last October for $4,400 cash. To close the deal, I agreed to DELIVER it to Austin, TX (700 miles from Albuquerque). I rode there in two long days. I was glad to get that price after trying to sell it for more than 90 days. It was advertised nationally on CycleTrader, and in more than a dozen different cities on Craigslist. You gotta do whatever it takes in this miserable economy.

·
Registered
857 Posts
So I think you have your answer. If you want to sell it you need to drop the price 20% or so. There are just too many options out there to pay anywhere near book value for a scooter which is just a luxury for most people. I ride mine practically daily and would go without a car if I had a way to carry larger items and for about a month in the winter time, its just too cold.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Here is my suggestion: Take a week or so and watch the auctions on ebay. While it may or may not apply to you, you will then be able to see the the actual final price, and there you will have the actual value of your Burgman. You will have to put the Burgmans on your "Watch" list. This way you can go back to them at anytime thru the link in the email you will get before the auction ends.

Patients also helps, a lot......

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't forget that there's a big difference between WANTING to sell and HAVING to sell. I've sold numerous vehicles at prices that were laughed at as being too high. Fortunately, I've always had the time to wait for THAT ONE person that just had to have it. On the other hand, I've picked up quite a few bargains from sellers that were desperate for a quick sale; they could've gotten more if they just had the time to wait. Just keep chipping away at the price, you'll soon have some interested buyers. GLWS.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My 2012 Burgman 400 has 4500 miles and is in perfect shape. Kelly Blue Book for this bike is $5280 and I have a price of $4950 on it. It's in my local Craiglist (Long Island, NY), and on display on the main road in my town out on the end of Long Island.
There are a lot of TMAX 500s for sale at a price much less than the $4950 you are asking for your Burgman 400. Just sayin'....

I think the "blue book" price is just unrealistically high. No one is getting that kind of money for that machine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you do not have to sell, wait for the right buyer. There will always be someone looking to pay a little more for a well maintained, low miles bike. If on the other hand you seriously need this gone, lower the price until someone decides they want a bargain.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My 2012 Burgman 400 has 4500 miles and is in perfect shape. Kelly Blue Book for this bike is $5280 and I have a price of $4950 on it.
http://www.cycletrader.com/Burgman-400-400-Suzuki-Motorcycles----CycleTrader.com/search-results?type=356953&make=Suzuki|2320128&model=Burgman+400|764948728&trim=400|3222&year=2012:2012&modelkeyword=1&sort=price:asc&newsort=1

2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 ABS: $3999
Used, Scooter Motorcycle, SILVER, 450 cc, 2,277 mi.

2012 Suzuki AN400 Burgman AN 400 ABS Scooter: $4,295
Used, Scooter Motorcycle, GREY, 953 mi.

2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 ABS: $4,499
Used, Scooter Motorcycle, 6,980 mi.

2012 Suzuki Burgman 400: $4,699
Used, Scooter Motorcycle, dark silver grey, 1,430 mi.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have sometimes remarked to friends that I was interested in "picking up a 'X'" if the price was right. This often results in their bring things to my attention that are put forth as a "good" or "fair" deal

To which I have responded "I am not looking for a good or fair deal--I am looking to screw somebody over."

For most second hand consumer products "good" and "fair" deals are a dime a dozen...

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I work part-time at the local used-car dealers auto auction.
A new car dealer brought in a 2013 Suzuki 4 cylinder something
rice-rocket...607 miles, taken in trade for a high-dollar pickup truck...
says no reserve...it's got to go.
Another dealer bought it for himself...it sold for $2200.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts