Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a cut & paste of the first two messages of a message thread from a Yamaha V-Star Forum:

First Message:

To: ALL (1 of 18)

Today we had a bad wreck here in northern nevada. The traffic was backed up over 5 miles. Being illegal to lane split in nevada I followed the rules stop and go stop and go etc. After about 2 miles it was getting harder to find neutral. My clutch though properly adjusted was getting hot . Finally it was to the point that I had to go illegal or not. I know I could have pulled over and turned the wheel at the lever to get more pressure but It seems like I shouldnt of had to. Anybody have this happen?. Does Your state allow lanesplitting? .
Thanks JB

2nd message:

To: jbz564 (2 of 18)

7441.2 in reply to 7441.1

No lane splitting here in VA. I've seen it in CA where it's evidently legal even at highway speeds - no thanks, you folks are nuts.I have noticed hard shifting and difficulty finding neutral in mostly-stop-a-little-go traffic in hot weather (not to mention that burning sensation in your legs, especially on the exhaust pipe side...). I cut the engine if I'll be sitting for a minute or two and have been known to coast down hills. Everything returns to normal with a little air flow.
Pete
Sargeant-at-Arms, STAR Chapter 208, Richmond, VA
http://www.startouring.org/chapter208ISRA #14303

... I don't know about everyone else but I HATE being on a freeway with stopped (or even stop-n-go) traffic... and that's WITH the automatic tranny of the Burgy!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't usually say this cause I'm too old and I'm pretty caucasion and stuff but it seems warranted this time so...

WORD.

;)

-Moo

·
Registered
857 Posts
chuck807 said:
... I don't know about everyone else but I HATE being on a freeway with stopped (or even stop-n-go) traffic... and that's WITH the automatic tranny of the Burgy!
I totally agree, but lane-splitting is not for me. 110 degrees here in Phoenix, and probably 120+ on the freeways, and I still won't consider lane-splitting even when traffic is completely stopped. I doubt i'd do it if it were legal. Just way too risky to me...

Yes, that auto tranny makes it much more comfortable in stop and go highway traffic. The smells are amazing - burnt out brakes, overheating radiators...wow. Thank goodness none of the smells (except some sweat) are from me!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried lane-splitting on the way back from a 500-mile trip (a one-day trip). Iwas exhausted and this was the last 20 miles. Smooth sailing all day except for that last 20. I lane-split for about 1/2 mile and decided I'm way too tired and mentally exhausted to keep up the concentration. Felt more comfortable going with (or should I stay 'staying with') the flow. If I hadn't put on 500 miles it would have been a lot easier (not to mention that it IS legal here in California).
I've been in that kind of hot weather before... I usually get off the freeway and take back roads just to keep moving.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
If it were legal to lane split here in TN, I would use it during 'rush hour' traffic and when traffic is backed up on the Interstate. As a local scooter rider from France (now living in Nashville) said to me, "Not being able to lane split negates a lot of the advantage of commuting on a small scooter."

·
Registered
572 Posts
Lane splitting is not legal here, but a lot of people do it. It really burns me and I think it gives all motorcyclists a bad reputation. I know how upset it gets me when I'm sitting in my car--I imagine all the wonderful things that could happen. There's no way I would lane-split--there's enough people wanting to run me over already.

·
Registered
553 Posts
chuck807 said:
Tried lane-splitting on the way back from a 500-mile trip (a one-day trip). Iwas exhausted and this was the last 20 miles. Smooth sailing all day except for that last 20. I lane-split for about 1/2 mile and decided I'm way too tired and mentally exhausted to keep up the concentration. Felt more comfortable going with (or should I stay 'staying with') the flow. If I hadn't put on 500 miles it would have been a lot easier (not to mention that it IS legal here in California).
I've been in that kind of hot weather before... I usually get off the freeway and take back roads just to keep moving.
I don't lane split, but I have gotton over on the shoulder on the interstate while all the cars were stopped and gotton off at the next exit. But there is plenty of room on the shoulder ( I know that's not spelled correctly) for a motorcycle without being to close to any of the cages.
But lane splitting, I don't think so, way too dangerous.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Here in Massachusetts there's a law against not only lane-splitting, but also riding two abreast and "failure to stay within marked lanes", which precludes riding on the shoulder. Use of a breakdown lane, even in stopped traffic, (unless marked or directed by a P.O.) also carries a $200.00 fine.

Thank God for CVT's!

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts