Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why when ride several hour get home let bike sit on center stand 5-10 minute oil glass show it overfill, when bike cold put on center stand let run 5-6 minute, stop, wait 5-6 minute, oil glass show a bit below full mark.

Am I overfill ?

Which I trust for level?

Thank all for reply,

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Cold oil like everything else expands when hot, it also drains back
to the sump quicker when hot as it is thinner so a small difference
is to be expected.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
According to other threads on this topic, the correct way to check your oil level is not on the center stand. I have found that on the stand my level shows overfull. Off the stand it shows pretty exactly right. The difference is about 1/2 cup. If I remember correctly, Daboo fills his to the top of the sight glass on the center stand and, when checked on 'the level' shows just about right.

I have also noticed that there is a slight but noticable difference between sitting on the bike and not so I would expect that your suspension setting would have an effect also. This appears to be a pretty sensitive measurement to take correctly and I wonder if any of these methoids I describe are truly correct (whatever correct mightmean). The definitive method is probably just to premeasure the proper quantity of oil (1.2 or 1.3 L) and call it good. After doing that, use your own preferred method of checking and whatever you see on the sight glass is your personal version of full.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I always put too much in and get it right up to the top line, then, like you said, you get it hot and it's above the full line. It drives me nuts too, lol. I'm more worried about too much oil in it, then not enough. Like you, I don't know how much oil is too much oil before it causes a problem.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speak with Ma/Pa shop, owner is mechanic, have 35 year experience repair and service motorcycle and scooter, 20 year Suzuki mechanic in stealership, he service regularly 6 Burgman.

He say it better to change oil filter with oil change, put 3 liter new oil with new filter, 3 liter place oil in middle of level when cold, when oil very hot it bit below full mark.

He prefer this way and then add bit oil at a time when oil get lower.

3 Liter = 3.1 U.S quart

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
My apologies Chérie. I just noticed you are riding a 650 and it has significantly greater oil volume. According to the 650 specs, 3L would be a fine amount of oil.

Your mechanic seems to have a good perspective.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Chérie said:
Why when ride several hour get home let bike sit on center stand 5-10 minute oil glass show it overfill, when bike cold put on center stand let run 5-6 minute, stop, wait 5-6 minute, oil glass show a bit below full mark.

Am I overfill ?

Which I trust for level?

Thank all for reply,
Check it warm on the centerstand. As long as it's aroun the F mark your fine, some above or below is ok and nothing to worry about as long as you can see the level.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
As I have said before, why not put in the correct amount of oil that Suzuki said is needed? The information is in the owners manual. That way you would not have to worry about over filling or under filling the oil. Nuff said.

Bill

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Suzuki didn't design the sight glass to be viewed off the centre stand - with someone holding the bike upright whilst you crouch down to read the level - or worse, as a solo attempt which would very soon instigate a bunch of law suits for falling bikes and squashed bones! No, always check the oil on the centerstand. As previously said, a bit above or below the F mark is nothing to worry about as long as you can see the level in the sight glass.

·
Registered
739 Posts
That's what I thought.. everything I have read from LeDude & others says to check it on the center stand.. I just put up my own thread on this..
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58928

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Bill-Bill said:
As I have said before, why not put in the correct amount of oil that Suzuki said is needed? The information is in the owners manual. That way you would not have to worry about over filling or under filling the oil. Nuff said.
Except I do not live in a lab and draining oil will not be exactly the same every time depending on the way it's done. The spec is just a guide as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts