Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
21,753 Posts
With all the Asian car manufactures that are making CVT's to move a 3500 pound car/suv you'd think Suzuki could partner up with one to have a CVT for a 170 horsepower 750 pound "Cavelcade" big cruiser again.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Suzuki said no new 650 Burgman for the US, until we get with the metric system like the rest of the world.
Something about printing both quarts and liters, PSI, etc.. driving up the manual’s cost
what a crock, so many "manuals" now are digital, all you get from the dealer is a memory stick or a web site to go to . I just finished printing every stinking page of old ironseats operators and maintenance manual.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
It seems like the dct drive is gaining popularity in the US, but most "motorcycle guys" I've talked to lump them in the same group as scoots. They view anything without a clutch lever as a toy. Not that we care and that's a different topic that's been covered here already lol. I think people will gravitate towards an automatic motorcycle vs a scooter just because it looks like a motorcycle and lastly because they don't know about maxi scoots to begin with.
last I heard honda is getting 40% of it's sales from dct bikes. I looked at the 1100 rebel, it has provisions for crash bars although no crash bars for it are on the market yet. I have old stone seat in the shop to have bars designed and welded on it.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
I think suzuki is not taking advantage of that need in the us with the 650. give it a sportier look. keep it the same, just make it look aggressive. definitely they could steal sales from tmax fans. it would attract younger folks. some nice marketing videos to hype people up. straighten out some of the curves a bit, more evil headlights, led tailights (those ak lights look stellar), slap the price tag and lets go.

maybe its time for better color options? grey and white need some help.
the old cobalt blue and even red and that orange rust limited back 10 years ago really looked snazzy

maybe add a pimp edition with speakers in the glove boxes and some chrome hahaha
dont fergit some nekk,,, uh nice lookin ladies with some extry curves helpin to advertise, Maybe a callender or magaz,,, pictcher or something 👼

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is tough to find a good maxi today. When I call the dealerships near me about what is on their website they do not want to talk. I found a 2020 C 650 GT, I just wanted to sit on. No one knew where it was located even though it was on their website. So now Suzuki & BMW are no longer making the bigger models for the US...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,169 Posts
Sadly the market for typical "maxi-scooters" is soft enough to be almost non-existent. For those of us with the big burgers, they are a bike without equal compared to similar bikes over the years. I haven't been to the local BMW dealer in some time but last time there, they still had two of their models in house. With the number of other bikes available and the cost of development for a new platform, I think there will be fewer new models brought out by the smaller OEMs. The ever growing regulatory burden placed on the OEMs by governments is a hindrance to be sure. I am all for safety and certain other issues but we have reached the point of saturation in those new rules for vehicle manufacturers. I still hold out hope for a little more displacement and another gallon of fuel but until it appears I'll keep my present bike. 32K and counting.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm hoping Honda brings the Forza 750 to the states. Everything I have seen on it looks like a really nice bike. Bigger tires, bigger engine, and a DCT transmission. I'm thinking that after a year or two, they'll bring it to this side of the pond.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I'm hoping Honda brings the Forza 750 to the states. Everything I have seen on it looks like a really nice bike. Bigger tires, bigger engine, and a DCT transmission. I'm thinking that after a year or two, they'll bring it to this side of the pond.
the Forza has been out for several years and would be here now if it was going to come. Getting one here to the US from Europe is a real nightmare even though it now meets euro level 5 emissions. Just a silly and hidden form of trade protection which makes no senes as there are no US scooter manufacturers. Maybe Harley should being back the Topper.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Honestly, I'm not that impressed with the Forza, from what I've seen/read online. THAT SAID... I hope they bring it to the US and it sells like gangbusters! THEN, maybe Kymco can have some competition, Suzuki will get back into the game, and we'll get some more bikes out of the deal.

I'm almost considering starting a letter writing campaign. Suzuki is out, for now. But if Honda has a bike ready, anyway... maybe? Interesting thought exercise, anyway.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I kind of like the Forza 750. Reviews by motorcycle media seem to be generally positive; that is, it's seen as a decent and nifty but not outstanding motorcycle. I didn't see the "scooter" elements of the bike really get covered beyond noting that a full-face helmet (but not much else) fits under the seat and that OEM external luggage is available. Price in the EU market doesn't seem outlandish, but that's without luggage.

If you wanted a 750cc scooter (loosely defined) and don't mind the storage being bolted on rather than under the seat, this fits the bill. I've seen a lot of grousing about the Burgman 650's engine size over the years... I guess we'll see how serious that was.

- Rusty
(Just wants a modernized '89-98 PC800 Pacific Coast with a 750DCT powertrain -- is that too much to ask, Honda? It's not too soon to try again!)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I kind of like the Forza 750. Reviews by motorcycle media seem to be generally positive; that is, it's seen as a decent and nifty but not outstanding motorcycle. I didn't see the "scooter" elements of the bike really get covered beyond noting that a full-face helmet (but not much else) fits under the seat and that OEM external luggage is available. Price in the EU market doesn't seem outlandish, but that's without luggage.

If you wanted a 750cc scooter (loosely defined) and don't mind the storage being bolted on rather than under the seat, this fits the bill. I've seen a lot of grousing about the Burgman 650's engine size over the years... I guess we'll see how serious that was.

- Rusty
(Just wants a modernized '89-98 PC800 Pacific Coast with a 750DCT powertrain -- is that too much to ask, Honda? It's not too soon to try again!)
Had 2 Pacific Coasts (1 white & 1 red) and it would now be even better with a DCT trans. don't think the Forza or Honda's off-road scooter is headed for the US. A real shame but hope someone else does write a letter. I sent a letter to Honda HQ in Torrance 3 years ago about large scooters for the US but never heard a word back. the issue in the US is that so few use motorcycles or scooters for daily transportation, unlike Europe or Asia.

·
Registered
398 Posts
While not a scooter, I can’t help but think the embarrassing sales of the unusual Honda NM4, scared the decision makers into fearing anything but the standard ol bike styling for a while in the US

·
Registered
149 Posts
While not a scooter, I can’t help but think the embarrassing sales of the unusual Honda NM4, scared the decision makers into fearing anything but the standard ol bike styling for a while in the US
Shoot, even for me, a scooter rider exclusively, I found that NM4 fugly as all get out and you wouldn't catch me on one even if you gave it to me. However, that fold up backrest did look mighty comfy.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Had 2 Pacific Coasts (1 white & 1 red) and it would now be even better with a DCT trans. don't think the Forza or Honda's off-road scooter is headed for the US.
We ARE getting the ADV 150 (or maybe already have? My local Honda dealership says they are getting one for the showroom floor). So MAYBE... we'll get the larger X model IF the 150 sells very well. But I seriously doubt it.

Honestly, I'm not sure who the audience is for this bike. Don't get me wrong... I get it. But on one hand, who rides a scooter OFF ROAD? And, even though many experienced riders would take the off-road stance/suspension and put more road-friendly tires (non-knobbies... No-bies?) for a better ride... A lot of new riders won't see that option. They'll see it as an off-road bike, and that's it. So the sales folks will either have to work harder to sell it... or just sell them a PCX or whatever the new Cubs are. Or a Grom.

So I think, in the end, this will split the Honda sales from one bike that sells really well into two bikes that... meh. So they won't really follow it up. I could be wrong. Hope I am.

·
Administrator
21,753 Posts
I went for a 160 mile ride yesterday with Daboo. He was on his BMW F850. We did a lot of bad twisty roads and the Burgman kept up OK. We did get into some gravel parking lots and again I had no issues.

I would take an Adventure Scooter in the 550-850cc range.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Shoot, even for me, a scooter rider exclusively, I found that NM4 fugly as all get out and you wouldn't catch me on one even if you gave it to me. However, that fold up backrest did look mighty comfy.
I actually tried to talk myself into one, as I liked that it was so unusual. Actually sat on one. No room for the little lady on the back, ruled it out for me. Plus overpriced.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I actually tried to talk myself into one, as I liked that it was so unusual. Actually sat on one. No room for the little lady on the back, ruled it out for me. Plus overpriced.
I couldn't get passed the looks to even notice the price. lol
Actually I might have been able to get passed the looks if enough practicality could have swayed me, but outside of the pillon magically turning into a backrest, there was none. They put 2 small compartments in the front up out of reach of the riders seat. You had to dismount to get to them. The saddlebags available were quite large looking on the outside, but when opened, had a much smaller actual/usable storage space. I don't remember if there was even underseat storage of any amount. But that is neither here nor there, as it seems that no one bought them and they went the way of the Dodo.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
you've hit a hot spot but the NM4 was a zombie because of price and that fact it was neither fish (motorcycle) nor fowl (good scooter)

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
3,952 Posts
I still think/hope the Kymco AK 550 does well here. Or at least continues to be available beyond just this year. It has just a bit more HP than the TMax and is very similar to the Burgman 650 even after the Euro 5 updates that happened just a few months ago for the Euro models. Kymco has been number one in some countries in Europe and is still within the top 5 (or maybe the top 3) brands in all of Europe.

DCT is a very sought after feature in the Sport Touring crowd I ride with (ST-Owners members and others who all ride ST1300, ST1100, BMW K1600, BMW R1200, V-Strom, Versys, Gold Wings, etc). I'm usually the only Burgman at the camping events. Every time one of those riders goes out looking for a "new" bike it seems that DCT is at the top of their wish list of features.

In this country it is definitely the perceived stigma of what a Scooter is that keeps riders from considering a super scooter as their main ride. Many of the guys I go camping with do have small scooters for just around town though. They all are impressed with my Burgman 650... especially after seeing me attend a camping/riding event that is an 1800 mile trip for me. There just needs to be an educated adjustment to the mindset of riders in this country.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts