Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unlike auto sales data motorcycle/scooter sales data is much harder to come by. Just wondering if the intro of new auto trans motorcycles here is the big reason for the lack of OEM sales interest in 500+ CC scooters here in the US?

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,080 Posts
The big companies aren't going to ship to the US if there's minimal demand. It's just simple economics.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The big companies aren't going to ship to the US if there's minimal demand. It's just simple economics.
try and find a decent used 650 if there is no demand. the market supply of used 650s has changed over the last 3 years and not for the better

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,080 Posts
try and find a decent used 650 if there is no demand. the market supply has changed over the last 3 years and not for the better
That's how I found mine two years ago. I was looking new but didn't have the money and found an amazing 2013 650 kept by a retired navy officer. Meticulous with just a few cosmetic issues. Love it to death. One more in a long line of scoots for me.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I think suzuki is not taking advantage of that need in the us with the 650. give it a sportier look. keep it the same, just make it look aggressive. definitely they could steal sales from tmax fans. it would attract younger folks. some nice marketing videos to hype people up. straighten out some of the curves a bit, more evil headlights, led tailights (those ak lights look stellar), slap the price tag and lets go.

maybe its time for better color options? grey and white need some help.
the old cobalt blue and even red and that orange rust limited back 10 years ago really looked snazzy

maybe add a pimp edition with speakers in the glove boxes and some chrome hahaha

·
Registered
388 Posts
Suzuki said no new 650 Burgman for the US, until we get with the metric system like the rest of the world.
Something about printing both quarts and liters, PSI, etc.. driving up the manual’s cost

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I bought my bike a couple years ago because a salesman knew what I was looking for an had the foresight (and a used model on the floor) to show me. Otherwise, I may have never even known that Burgmans were a thing, or how well they perform.

In order for sales numbers to ever REALLY grow in the US would require a fair bit of marketing spend. So, in addition to the cost of the bikes, shipping, etc... are they going to spend all the marketing in the HOPES of growing this market?

Look at the membership of this forum against similar ones for cruisers, racers, goldwings, etc... Motorcycles in the US have a certain image. If you want a scooter, you get a little thing for commuting around town. If you want a motorcycle, you get... well... a "motorcycle." Most people, in the US, don't even know larger scoots are a thing. And, probably, fewer care.

It's sad... but I fear we are something of a dying breed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think suzuki is not taking advantage of that need in the us with the 650. give it a sportier look. keep it the same, just make it look aggressive. definitely they could steal sales from tmax fans. it would attract younger folks. some nice marketing videos to hype people up. straighten out some of the curves a bit, more evil headlights, led tailights (those ak lights look stellar), slap the price tag and lets go.

maybe its time for better color options? grey and white need some help.
the old cobalt blue and even red and that orange rust limited back 10 years ago really looked snazzy

maybe add a pimp edition with speakers in the glove boxes and some chrome hahaha
I don't think Suzuki is building the 650 for any locations now

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
I don't think Suzuki is building the 650 for any locations now
They are prototyping a Hydrogen Cell B125 somewhere.
This one shows fueling but it’s in Japanese.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are prototyping a Hydrogen Cell B125 somewhere.
This one shows fueling but it’s in Japanese.
hydrogen fueling is a nightmare in terms of station availability and cost of building and running each refill station.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I do think the auto bikes, especially Hondas DCT bikes, will put a serious dent in what little maxi scooter market there is in North America.

I know for me personally I'm looking for a used africa twin dct. I like the idea of traction control married with abs and the ability to go off road. I've looked at a few NC700X and NC750X as well. I don't actually need the step through feature of a scooter, but it is convenient.

There are a few trade offs though. Less or no storage vs the scoot. Chain vs shaft drive usually. Higher COG for the africa twin, but not necessarily for the NC750X. On the other side, the bikes have larger tires and are lighter vs my 650. The ability to add crash bars to the bikes is apparently something I should have. (I've seen the German company that makes them for the burgman.) Also, having an actual clutch vs a cvt belt is a plus in my book. No more hoping the belt doesn't go prematurely.

It seems like the dct drive is gaining popularity in the US, but most "motorcycle guys" I've talked to lump them in the same group as scoots. They view anything without a clutch lever as a toy. Not that we care and that's a different topic that's been covered here already lol. I think people will gravitate towards an automatic motorcycle vs a scooter just because it looks like a motorcycle and lastly because they don't know about maxi scoots to begin with.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I don't think for insurance reasons you can ride anything over a 150cc or 250cc over seas, which is where the money is on scooters. And man, do they have some cool small scooters that I'd love to be able to buy in the USA! So, if they are only in 'demand' in a few countries, why would they spend all the money to really up date, change, or build a whole new platform for something that we all know are few and far between? Instead they'll give it some new plastics, maybe change a shock, battery location, electronics, and call it all new, when the actual parts are from day 1 on the first Burgman ever built.

·
Administrator
21,745 Posts
I'd bet they are selling "New - Old stock" 2018's as 2021's.

It's easy for a manufacture to wash the 2018's paperwork and submit 2021's. The true test is to look over some of the parts on the bike for 'Date' codes

Reactions: rjs987 and Mike33

·
Super Moderator
15,538 Posts
For what it's worth for those in the Seattle area Seattle Cycle does have the new AK550.
Seems to be a well received bike in Europe. Looks OK; albeit your choice of gray is not my idea of a choice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do think the auto bikes, especially Hondas DCT bikes, will put a serious dent in what little maxi scooter market there is in North America.

I know for me personally I'm looking for a used africa twin dct. I like the idea of traction control married with abs and the ability to go off road. I've looked at a few NC700X and NC750X as well. I don't actually need the step through feature of a scooter, but it is convenient.

There are a few trade offs though. Less or no storage vs the scoot. Chain vs shaft drive usually. Higher COG for the africa twin, but not necessarily for the NC750X. On the other side, the bikes have larger tires and are lighter vs my 650. The ability to add crash bars to the bikes is apparently something I should have. (I've seen the German company that makes them for the burgman.) Also, having an actual clutch vs a cvt belt is a plus in my book. No more hoping the belt doesn't go prematurely.

It seems like the dct drive is gaining popularity in the US, but most "motorcycle guys" I've talked to lump them in the same group as scoots. They view anything without a clutch lever as a toy. Not that we care and that's a different topic that's been covered here already lol. I think people will gravitate towards an automatic motorcycle vs a scooter just because it looks like a motorcycle and lastly because they don't know about maxi scoots to begin with.
I have had clutch and DCT, if you live in or drive to a dense area handling a clutch gets old after awhile. My Burgman spoiled me rotten when commuting. I really regret trading in my Burgie to get my wife out from under a bad car loan. To me if I was to go to a larger bike again it would be a Goldwing DCT but they are overpriced. Harleys need way to much maintenance and most bikes today just do not appeal to me. If Suzuki was smart they would give Goldwing a run for their money and up their size and features.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts