Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They never wave... The guy is a doctor or a lawyer 5 days a week. On the weekend he puts on the same made in China leather vest and dew rag as the other 24.7 million pathetic posers who ride Hardleys do. Now he thinks he is an OUTLAW. Somehow different from the masses, a total badass. He is on a bike that was designed 40 years ago and priced 5 times what it is worth. He is a total coformist in every way. The complete opposite of what he thinks he is. Yet somehow he is superior to everyone else. How pathetic. :evil:

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
Harley Riders

You will find those type of people riding anything. It's not restricted to "Harley Riders". I have found many Harley Riders very friendly, and have found many Jerks on Sport Bikes, Scooters, and Crusers. Like the saying says, Don't judge a book by it's cover.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I tend to agree. I've had many Harley riders wave... more do than don't...
It's pretty much the same no matter what someone's riding...

Personally, I try to make it a point to be friendly and wave at every bike that passes whether they do or not. I figure that maybe if I wave, and they don't, perhaps they'll decide to be a little more friendly in the future...

Kenny

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I owned a bike for two years up in Oregon. Everybody waved at everybody. I did not feel any animosity toward Harley riders at that time(4 years ago). I am judging the book after I read it and before I know what the cover looks like. Example: I wave, they don't. I make judgement and then I see it is a Harley and not a Japanesse clone as it passes me by. It may just be different here in AZ. Whatever the case I no longer initiate a wave to any one on a cruiser and rarely to anyone else. I will always return one however.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hmmm...I wonder if there are regional differences. Up here in the Washington, DC metro area, only one Harley rider has waved to me. At least a dozen have not. I wave to everyone, and virtually all riders of non-Harleys seem to wave around this area.

Kenny said:
I tend to agree. I've had many Harley riders wave... more do than don't...
It's pretty much the same no matter what someone's riding...
Kenny

·
Registered
79 Posts
Attitudes are probably different in different areas. Also keep in mind what the road is like. There are times when I can't be distracted by a wave. Where I see others waving most is on A1A by the beach - 2 lanes, no cross traffic, and only a few driveways - not a lot of traffic either. So it's more relaxed there. I wouldn't ever expect anyone to wave from across a multilane road (who would?), although sometimes I notice them looking and might get a head nod.

I remember when I had my little 50cc scooter, I *never* got waves. I guess a 50cc isn't considered a real bike? But then again, since getting the 650, I've been near some 50's, and they don't wave, and I really haven't had a chance to initiate... but if I get the chance I will.... I've been there, and know what it's like to feel left out. :wink:

Kenny

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Like some one else said there are non-wavers in every class of riding. Let me tell you a Harley story though. I was out for a ride 1 day when I happened to run the bike out of gas about 15-20 km out of civilization. As I climbed of the bike a Harley rider rounded the corner heading in the opposite dierction. He promptly pulled over as I waved him down. Upon telling him my situation he agreed to backtrack and take me to a gas station, where he waited as I bought a gas can and got fuel. This guy was no doctor or lawyer I pressumed by the full length arm tattos. He was a classic bad boy biker image. He rode me back to my bike and even waited for me to get it started before he rode off. I dropped him a $10 bill for his efforts. Therefore I wave at everybody I notice, you never know 1 day.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hardlyboyz

One of the worst things about owning a Burgman (or to be precise, having
my wife own the Burgman), is her scooter getting all the attention from the
poseurs on HD's, while my Roadstar gets jeered as a "Copy" !
Maybe, I'll sell the Roadie and get a 650 Burgie (nah, I'll just bug her till
she lets me ride hers! )
Best beginner machine on the road-Burgman 400!
A great lightweight tourer, too!
Scoot on!

·
Registered
100 Posts
hardlys

i rode harleys for 20 years 1982 -2002. when i was on my harley(it was the wrong kind, a sportster) other harley guys wouldn't wave at me. not all, just some. in new mexico whether i'm on my burger or my intruder, just about everybody waves. probably because you may not see another human for the next 100 miles or so. iwave at everybody. whats funny about the burgman is i have had people in cars wave at me. let's face it guys & gals, you can't get any cooler than being on a burgman.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I agree with migz123 about just getting along... And besides an approaching rider doesn't always have time to socialize.

Back in '92, while riding my VX800 from Saint Louis back to San Francisco, I waved at an eastbound biker across I-70 only to get the finger instead.
I laughed for at least two days afterwards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good stories here! For myself, I wave at all those I see, and generally get waves back. I have a lot of friends that have Harley's and tatoos....and they've all supported me on my Burgman, and my learning to ride. They will even ride with me! :p Sometimes I don't see a fellow rider as I'm still trying to learn all this "lean, look, roll", "look through the turn", brakes, rpm, all the stuff I'm trying to do, and watch the cagers around me. So, if I missed a wave, Daveman, I'm sorry. I'll do my best to wave at all riders I see!!! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Covert,
Where have you been?? I haven't seen you post in awhile. I thought you might have left the forum.
Anyhow, the day I posted about the Harley riders I was in a real bad mood. My friend dropped my bike right in front of me after I let him take it for a spin. Not good. Although I still meant every word of what I said about Harley riders I probably would have kept it to myself if I wasn't still so pissed off. Also, I said in still another post that I would never wave at another Harley rider, but I still do. Acknowledging fellow bikers is an important part of my riding. I guess its part of my "lifestyle" if not theirs. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
hardleys

covert, you are evil,really evil. i like that. but the harley phenom will pass, then we will be back to the core of cycle & scootr riders. scum.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Brothers....

Hey, you guys & gals are lucky....my 2 brothers own Harleys, but have for years....I'm only into ridin' about 1.5 yrs. I'm just wonderin'....why didn't that middle-age syndrome hit me a little sooner. But, in riding, I found myself sometimes just flickin' the old high beam....I'd say 8 out 10 times bikers respond....and yes, you're all pretty much right....location, speed, and mood sometimes will detract or enhance a response from the other biker. As for me, as Thanksgiving once again rolls around....I am super happy that I'm sittin' on a Burgy.....smooth, powerful, great design, comfortable, and to me, the best Maxi-Scooter that's currently on the market....at least here in the States....and I owned the Atlantic 500 for a year.....yeah, it's a nice scoot....but, in a true comparison, the Burgy 650 is in it's own class. Within a short time, I'll be outfitting the unit with the topbox, special brake lighting system, and unique lighting on the bottom of the side panels...and then acquire the Gerbing gloves and vest....for here in Pa., my motto.....If there's no snow, I'm on the go."
Take care, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
goingfaster.com---you gotta go there!

Those of us who do not appreciate the HD image, and the people who live
the corporate HD lifestyle would get a blast out of the website
http://www.goingfaster.com
When you get there, go to the section labelled "american angst".
Prepare to laugh your head off!
Note, that the language used there may not be suitable for all......

1 - 20 of 48 Posts