Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do you ride? What gets you on your scooter that you wouldn't bother to do if you had to drive a car?

I ride my 650 to work, but would take the car in bad weather so that doesn't count. I ride the scooter for fresh air. I ride the scooter to explore. I ride to show off a bit. I make excuses to run to the grocery or the video rental or the hardware store or the wherever. These trips I would skip as unnecessary if I had to take the car. Like to get some milk, even though we aren't out. Or to pick up some batteries from the hardware store even though I don't really need any. I ride the scooter to friends houses, even though I never visited them in my car. I ride the scooter to relative's houses and offer rides to nieces and nephews.

Why do you ride?

Dave B.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Motorcycles provide the getting looked at, the friendship of a club, and the means to get away from it all and unwind. Of course, most people I know that own a motorcycle use their car during the week to go to work and back. They can't carry their briefcase on a motorcycle, or can't stop and run errands. If a person has to get a gallon of milk on the way home from work, in most cases, that person is going to have to drive their car.

But Scooters, well, they make no apologies. Scooters do 80% of everything modern motorcycles do but admitedly, they lack the extreme performance of some bikes and the look of a cruiser that seems to be all the rage.

Oh, back to the question. I ride because of ALL of the motorcycle reasons but also because my Burgman 400 is my economy car. I can run errands with it, take it to work, and get over 60MPG while I am doing that. I am sort of a tree hugger at heart and do not believe in using more natural resources than required to do something. The Burgman 400 has very little impact during operation and that's good. We own a Ford Ranger 4cyl/5speed, our SUV is a Honda CR-V; both vehilces being at the top of the heep when it comes to MPG and overall impact on the environment.

Taking the Burgman when possible keeps miles off of my truck also. Except for a two year hiatis between 2000 and 2002, I have been riding for 14 years. I have averaged over 10K miles each year and most of those miles were NOT touring or pleasure, but rather were basic point A to point B travel.

Since the Burgman 400 was designed for Europe to be basic transportation, I guess I use my Burgman for exactly what it was designed to do.

Oh, and last but not least...IT'S FUN!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Number one, first and foremost...to save gas. Also? Well, to showoff/share the technology. As importantly, to enjoy the wind, sun, and views. Since I am pretty sedentary, it also gives me reason to stretch my arms, neck, legs, and brain.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I ride for fun. Simple. I may be using the scooter to run an errand, but I'm still riding it for fun. If my car was a Corvette or a Porsche, I'd drive it for fun. But it is a Ford Taurus. An appliance, like the refrigerator, washing machine and toaster - it does a job and I need it for that. But the scooter makes me come alive and puts a grin on my face whenever I ride it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Fun, fun, fun! That's what this is about. In other countries, people will use these babies as a sole means of transport. But we are so fortunate that in our great and blessed nation, we can use these for fun and recreation.

:eek:

·
Registered
496 Posts
I ride my scooter because it is a challenge. I do perfectly fine with my Honda CRV. However, riding allows me to revisit my youth. To go beyond my fears of failure, and to just enjoy the smells, unimpaired vision of moving at a different level and to enjoy all those who are envious of doing what they are afraid to try :!:

Everyday is a challenge when I ride my scoot. Almost like playing a golf course. The lie is always different: (the wind inevitably changing thus calculating the differences between air speed, distance, and landing), moving in unfamiliar terrain, ignoring the people around you who would distract one from finishing in a certain manner...

I was scared riding today, because the wind was so powerful that it's gust's really blew me for the 1st time on a Burgman all over the road. However, I managed to hang in there thru the interstate, but withdrew once I got to my destination, and then returned on the backroads for a slower trip.

All I can say is: Do not say to "Hell with it and Go". Just take the extra time and do all that you can to protect yourself, your loved ones, and future progeny in whatever you do.

Evelyn

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been riding two-wheelers since about the age of four. Little Bike, Medium Bike, Big Bike, Moped, Medium Scooter, Bigger Scooter, and now my biggest 650 Burgman. Having been riding all along, being on two wheels is second nature to me. My mind and body consider them a simple extension of myself. I knew intuitively how to ride all the scoots I test rode. One little circle around the parking lot to get the balance and weight programmed in, then out into traffic. Two-wheeler and I as one entity.

So I ride to complete me. It puts to use those reflexes learned at 4 and polished over the years. It wakes all my senses and thrills them. I don't have feet on my rides I have wheels, and I know as well how to use them as to walk. It's the synergy of me and bike. Better together than either apart. 8)

Dave B.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
For me my scooter is both enjoyment and basic transportation. out of 21000 miles about 6,000 have been just going for a ride -the other 15,000 has saved me well over 1,000 on gas.
Don't want it to sound like a hardship, I enjoy the scooter more then the cage but it's still basic (read cheep) transportation .
The fact that I enjoy myself does not change that facts. :lol:
In fact this year I only put about 5000 miles on my pick-em-up.

·
Registered
316 Posts
To relax, to explore, to think, to breath fresh air.

I like the freedom, the economy, the fun, the view from, the convenience of a scooter.

I also find myself being a bit more social when I'm on the bike. I tend to find it easier to drop by and visit people. But I also find it tough to work on nice summer days when I could be out riding.

There is nothing quite like a motorcycle/scooter for exploring. Some major road trips are coming on this summer, I think.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's my get-away vehicle. Get away from work. Get away from home. Get away from aggravation. Get away from responsibilities. Get away from duties. Get away to a great country road. Get away to Blockbuster. Get away to the grocery store or bank. Get-away cross country one of these days. Get away to just get away!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Darcy said:
I also find it tough to work on nice summer days when I could be out riding.
Tough? Try IMPOSSIBLE!

Reasons for me are ALL of the above.

I love my car to death. It's very rare, very exotic, great fun to drive. But given the choice, I'll be riding one of my bikes.

Steve

·
Registered
296 Posts
I ride for fun, adventure, solitude, to be with my buddies, discover new places, photography, the smell, the views, the ocean air, zooming through the mountains, meeting people and at times with my wife for a picnic or a ocean side restaurant meal. I am fortunate in that I can ride year round in some of the most scenic areas in Canada. My favorite ride is along the two-lane roads ocean side, through all the small villages and towns that dot the coast of Vancouver Island. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts