Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
There is a whole list of things that are specific to the rider and the bike. From my own experience, it happens most in extreme heat, hard braking, and under inflated tires. If you don't mind a little wobble, you can keep riding with it. I had a perfectly good tire do that to me in under 200 miles on day at temperatures above 100 f.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
make sure your wheel is properly balanced when installing a new tire.

double check your forks, make sure that they are not bent or miss-aligned.

make sure the wheel is resinstalled correctly on to the scoot and torqued accordingly.

double check your brakes both front and rear, make sure you don't have sticky calipers.

Check your tire pressure regularly and keep them at a steady regular pressure.

Tires can vary in materials when fabricated.

If it is a reoccurring symptom, you may want to take the forks out and service them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Had mine do that after 5,000 miles. It was mainly for low tire inflation. The wobble was so annoying I just went ahead and replaced it with a determination to be more intentional with tire pressure in the future. Aloha!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
The Bridgestone front tires have always worn that way on both of my 650's. I just consider it a normanl wear thing with those tires.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Bridgestone front tires have always worn that way on both of my 650's. I just consider it a normanl wear thing with those tires.
Thanks for the feed back. I think the above is about right, as the front on my previous 400 did about the same thing. I'm pretty good about checking tire pressure and don't ride aggressively in twistees - maybe a little on the super slab. I noticed it staring to do this at about 5k on it and has gotten progressively worse. No wobble at present just feels like the road is a little bumpy. Not a biggy yet, it just takes away that super smooth Burgman ride:(

I ride a lot of backroads. They are pretty "grainy" around here. I wondered if that might have something to do with it?

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I ride a lot of backroads. They are pretty "grainy" around here. I wondered if that might have something to do with it?
Dunno, I ride mostly grooved concrete freeway to/from work on it with some asphalt city streets.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
It looks like just normal wear to me--read the article linked by model28a, it is the only valid assessment of the "left-side wear" issue I have seen...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have to admit that I just reposted that link. Someone on this forum first posted it and I thought I would repost it here as it may have help answer questions the OP had.:p

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Two things surprised me, that I remembered a year old post and how fast a year has passed.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
There is nothing normal about that tire wear pattern, you have a miss aligned front end that needs addressing or something else is causing it.

Start by servicing your forks and make sure they are put back on the scout correctly.

Add a small spacer to the right side where the collar is to compensate for the offset.

I haven't run b-stones in a while but the last few I did, never exhibited that wear pattern.

The only good thing about the b-stones front tire was its long life, about 20k miles.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is nothing normal about that tire wear pattern, you have a miss aligned front end that needs addressing or something else is causing it.
A little mo info. The scoot is a 07 650. I bought from 2nd owner with 4319 on the OD. Replaced tires because of age. The tire that came on it had no signs of this wear pattern, but it only had 6200 on it when I replaced it. This tire has almost 11k on it. I check the air pressure regularly, so I don't believe it is because of low air pressure. Like I said, I noticed the pattern to begin to develop maybe 5k or so. Now at nearly 11K it is very noticeable visually: BUT the only thing you notice when riding is that it is just a little bumpy .... And that just started on my most recent outing a week and a half ago. Hard to think that the forks are an issue because I've ridden 80-90 mph many times and the thing is smooth as silk. Except now for a little- barely discernable- bumpiness.

Guess I'll just watch and see how it progresses. BTW, I don't recall having this issue with motorcycles I owned in the past, have had the issue on two scooters that I've owned. On the other hand I've never put this many miles on any bike in this short period of time... 11K since May.

Thanks for all your replies!

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
20 Posts
Double-check your tire gauge against another one. Few years back I was getting lousy mileage from my rear tire on my GL1800... Checked my gauge against the one my Dad carries on his bike & it seems my old one was reading 3-4 PSI high.

Instead of running my tires @ 42 they were actually closer to 38... No wonder I was only getting 7-8k miles from them! :/

Cheers!
-Art

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Bridgestone Bax did the same thing. I have a compressor and check psi everytime I go riding. I mounted new Michelin Gold Standard and loosened up triple clamp bolts and adjusted steering head bearing play. It was out quite abit. Then made sure the fork tubes were equally positioned (up and down) in triple clamps. Then tapped the the triple clamps with a nylon hammer (won't scratch) then held the front wheel in place and moved the handlebars back and forth with little pressure. This is so the forks will center up without binding. After that I took it for a ride. That made the ride seemed like it was on rails. Tracks and steers a lot better and more stable at speed.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I continue to think about why the tire is wearing in this fashion. I appreciate all the replies and responses here. Gave me a lot to think about. Everything seems to be in order with the scoot. I do have a compressor and keep a close check on air pressure. I think, in my case, my riding style may play a role. Here are the factors I believe are impacting the tire wear for me.....
1-the roads I ride - I ride four lanes, side roads, back roads and some pig paths.
Four lanes are of course Interstates and connector roads. Most are reasonably smooth. Side roads around here are "state" roads - being maintained by the state .... Theses are two lanes and generally pretty smooth. Back roads are either state roads or road keep up by the county. The county roads are not as smooth as the other roads and can be course surfaces. Pig paths are course/rough surfaces. These surfaces may be part of the issue? I ride side roads and backroads and pig path the most.
2- my riding style. I dart a lot when riding. I ride to be seen. So I'm constantly changing lanes positions.... From 1-3 depending on what's happening around me. I suppose others do this as well. But I know I dart back and forth in the lane rather than a smoother drift motion.
3- my riding style in twistees / curves is lazy. I normally don't take the curves as smooth as I should. So I go in slow-almost straight up sometimes, and then drop the lean and then straighten up as I leave the curve. I expect that dips and rolls the edges of the front tire some. I should ride more smoothly but most days I'm just lolly-gagging along .... No where to go and all day to get there. I don't usually ride aggressively so I don't have to worry about being to technical in the turns.
4- I'm a PHD. "Pretty heavy dude". Don't know if this has any impact on tire scalloping or not.

I guess for now I just consider it normal for me. Scoot rides /tracks smooth as can be. No wobble or vibration. Just a little bit of bumpiness from the tire. I got about 11.5 K on the tire now and it looks like it'll go another 3-5 K. So as long as the "bumpiness" doesn't get any worse ill just ride it out.

Sirkitrider

1 - 18 of 18 Posts