Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just wondering why you decided to get a scooter? Just for the fun of it? Cheaper on gas than a car? Always had a bike, and the older you got has caused you to get a lighter bike? Mid-life crisis perhaps? Or maybe some other reasons...
Just curious..

·
Registered
408 Posts
This seems to come up from time to time. I rode when I was younger and after the kids got grown and I had spare cash, I wanted back in the saddle. Problem was, now I have nerve damage in my right leg, bad knees, and a back that's not that great. I started looking and found the maxi scoots. Ran across this forum and was impressed with the number of ex-Goldwing, ex-Harley, and ex-Everything else rider was riding Burgmans. Bottom line is it started with physical limitations and ended up with a great bike. I don't think I'd give up my Burgman for a "regular" bike, even if I could.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just like the smooth operation of a scooter, and in particular, a 650 Burgman. The whole taking off with a smooth operating CVT and no shifting makes it very pleasant experience. It's comfortable for my wife riding two-up and the whole riding experience is unintimidating for her.

I have other bikes as well, but my 650 Burgman fills a niche that nothing else does.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Riding for over 50 years - Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and last one a Harley Roadking for 15 years. Got tired of the Harley not starting (carb), the noise, not wanting to stop, clunking of gears. Always admired Burgmans and found a gem 2006 with 22,000 miles owned by a 77 year old man. Bought it last May and now wonder why I didn't do this years ago - a whole new riding experience. Smooth, quiet, comfy, dependable. One thing I don't like - it eats expensive tires.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I rode an 1800cc Goldwing for several years before trading it in for a Burgman 650. While riding the Goldwing, I could only go about 50 miles before my hips started to hurt. For two years I had to get pain injections into each hip joint for relief. I believe my discomfort was caused by the width of the Goldwing (which stretching my hips apart) and the sports-like sitting position that left my feet further back than I would have preferred. My hip pain disappeared once I rode the Burgman. The seating position is perfect for me. I keep my legs extended slightly and my feet extended against the firewall. There is no gas tank to pry my legs/hips apart. For me, the maxi-scooter provides a much more comfortable riding platform. If I didn't transition to it, I wouldn't be riding at all.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I got a scooter because........
the engine in my old pickup truck was beginning
to go sour, & if it died, I needed a way to get
back & forth 20 miles each way to work.
Got out my good old Schwinn bicycle, to begin
to 'limber-up'....except my knees hurt so bad
after about 2 miles...just couldn't pedal anymore.
Got the Ruckus...& 6 weeks later, the pickup
truck engine imploded. Now..ride the Ruckus to
work & back. Took about 4 weeks to work out the
replacement of a Remanufactured engine in
the truck...the Ruckus became a very good friend.
Rode the Ruckus for about 14 months...had some
new skills to learn. Once my financial status was
straightened out, got myself the Burgman.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I got a new job that's only 15 miles from home, and I have 3 different routes I can take. Seemed like a prime job for a motorized 2-wheeler of some kind. I've owned "regular" motorcycles before, and knew if I bought a bike I'd want a windshield and saddlebags. Add up the cost of the bike + acc's and the price went up in a hurry. With a "maxi-scooter," all that was included. ;)
I've really enjoyed the Burg so far, too bad winter arrived in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Serendipity!

Sold my wonderful 05 Concours and 97 Shadow VT1100 :cry: when I left AZ in 2008. Seller's regret but it was easier to move that way.

Was looking for a mid-sized bike, with low cost and good MPG important. I can get 42 mpg with my Saturn, so why ride a 2-wheeled gas-hog?

Couldn't find good Suzook GS500. Nor a good Ninja 500. Ready to settle for a KLR650 when I started seeing Burgman 400 for reasonable prices. Originally thought that a 400 single was a tiny slow bike.

What a fun machine. I looked at B650 but was put off by their complexity.

I still like people asking me, When are you getting a real motorcycle :cool:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Because ever since I rode my first scooter (Vespa 125) way back in 1967 I always thought they were kinda cool. Just cool in a different way.

For a lot of years I put it on the back burner. But about 8 years ago I went on a group ride with several other riders. I had a BMW R1100RT at the time and most of the other riders were on similar sized bikes. Most were Goldwings but a variety of other bikes as well.

Two of the riders were on 650 Burgmans. A woman and a man. The guy was leg amputee and he liked not having to worry about any foot controls. And this guy could really hustle that Burgman. I liked to ride pretty aggressively back then and when the road got tight and curvy I usually put the rest of the pack behind me somewhat. That RT sure enjoyed a curvy road. And that Burgman rider would stay right with me on some of the gnarliest roads we encountered. And he had a ball doing it as well.

Anyway, thought that if I ever come across one of those 650 Burgmans for a good price I would pick me one up. I did and I did and what fun I have been having with it. I still prefer my GL1800 for anything much longer than 200 mile rides but for a bike to just jump on a go that Burgman is the one I like.

Don't get me wrong now- I still very much enjoy riding my KLR 650 and my trusty Honda PC800 and have no plans on ever selling either of them ever. But the Burgman? Well, what can I say? Smooth, comfortable, and most of all fun. Makes it pretty hard to keep off of. Matter of fact, if it was not raining today I would out riding it instead of sitting here in front of my computer. I hate rainy days.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I like bikes and scooters and wanted something, quiet, comfortable, easy, and relaxing, and I found it!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought it to try to persuade my wife into riding again (she dropped her Buell 500 while learning to drive and never went back)

Didn't work but I have been enjoying my 650 so much I don't care if she want a 400 for herself or not.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bought mine on account of an accident in Sept '13, I needed to get back on 2 wheels and with my injuries I had to have an automatic. Because I already had a great 650 (Wee-Strom) and a terrible Chinese 150 I found a good deal on a 400 to split the difference. Now I don't have the Wee anymore :( or the Chinese 150 :p but I do get to ride my "magic carpet" everytime I go out. :D I love how you just "twist 'n' go".

·
Registered
347 Posts
My first memories of motorized two wheels was a scooter. Finally convinced of the maxi scooter reliability and sophistication, there was no need to have a sport bike and road cruiser and the ancillary expenses that go with two bikes. No longer do I have to decide what mood I am in and pick a bike. My maxi scooter will fulfill any mood I am in. My Burgman is a civilized machine that has brought back the fun factor of riding. I also bought a scooter because of their biggest flaw, low resale value, I don't have a banker riding with me. I don't twist and go, I twist and gone.:D

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I just plain got sick and tired of all the up and down shifting , WTF I've shifted for 50 years that's enough . Truthfully I never looked back , once in while I ride a friends bike and it's fun for a few minutes and that's about it .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
857 Posts
I started with a Suzuki 550 MC and when that went belly up I had always wanted a scooter so I moved to the Honda Helix, and now ride a Burgman 400. I have about a 25 mile round trip and couldn't ask for a better ride. A motorcycle would be too big and a vespa too small. The burgman really fills a niche for me.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I had been riding MCs for many years when I read an article about a guy who rode a Honda Helix in the Iron Butt rally, 10k miles in 10 days. Interest piqued. So I rented one in San Fransisco with my girlfriend, wife now, and we had an absolute blast riding that thing all over town; up and down those hills, accross the Golden Gate Bridge. The bike had no problems, even two up. So I bought a helix to keep my ST1100 company. After a year of not being ridden, the ST was shown the door and I've been all scooter ever since.

So far as the Burgman, I was riding the Helix to work one day on the freeway in 2006, not the Helix's strong suit, when a brand new 400 flew past me. I fell in love instantly. I didn't even know what it was (I've still yet to see a pre 07 400 in Los Angeles), but I saw "Suzuki" on the side and there was a dealership down the street from my work. Lets just say I took a detour from work.

There it was, in that beautiful blue. I purchased it new that day and it has been my faithful steed ever since. The best material thing I've ever owned. I Still love it to this day.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Been riding over 50 years. Came down with Rheumatoid Arthritis, left hand got painful pulling the clutch on my V-Strom 650. My doctor wanted to do a fusion of the base joint in my left hand, I decided to go clutchless. I already had a 2001 Honda Helix 250cc that I had bought back in 2005 or so that I rode some (it had taken me on multi-state trips) but it wasn't able to pull my wife and I two-up very well so I traded it in on my new to me 2009 Suzuki Burgman 650cc. Put my loved V-Strom up for sale after a couple of months because I wasn't riding it, I liked the Burgman so well. Took me a year to sell the V-Strom (put less than 100 miles on it during that year) and finally sold it a little over a month ago.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Geography! Toronto sits on the north shore of Lake Ontario, so south is water. East or West is endless, flat suburb (Pickering to Hamilton). Nothing much to see and the traffic is terrible. North isn't much better, but there's some countryside left for now. It takes a solid hour to get out, an hour to get back and some time in-between. 2-3 hours of slab (one way) if you want to get somewhere like Algonquin Park. In other words, if you don't fit the bike, you're not going far.

The bikes I choose initially were considered relaxed. I couldn't last more than a few hours before sore butt and numb toes got to me. A short range, expensive insurance and fatigue-inducing ergonomics made bike ownership difficult to justify. They sucked as commuters, though I enjoy shifting.

So I had a choice: stop riding or find the floppiest of the loafer bikes. Forget looks and performance. I need comfort, or at least not pain. Briefly considered a dual sport, but gravel roads are scarce and no real network of trails like you have in the States. This led me to the House Of Burgman.

Didn't expect the trunk to be so useful. Beyond it's usual virtues, the trunk really made the Burg a proper car-substitute during the riding season (5 months solid at the moment). Sort the suspension a bit and it's a proper UJM. Only the NC700x comes close in my mind as a daily rider, but Hondas command a silly premium here. Pretty close to 10k for one and the seat is terrible.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Like many others here I've had many different bikes, from my wonderful bulletproof Honda S-90 to my fantastic V-Stom 1000 all were good bikes. I traded in my Vee and bought my used 09 650 from the local dealership after riding my buddies 06 650. This machine for my requirements is the best all around machine I've owned to date. The smoothness, quietness and that automatic is truly wonderful.

Greg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts