Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a believer in not fixing something that's not broken. There's been much discussion of replacing fork oil here, but I just wonder if it's really necessary unless there's a leaking seal. I modified the front forks just after getting my 650 new using Recetech springs and cartridge emulators with 15 wt. oil. I now have 15,000 mi. on the bike and don't see any reason to change the fork oil. Repairs like this always involve some risk like scratching the shock tubes. Unless there's another reason to tear down the forks, why replace the oil?

·
Administrator
18,742 Posts
Paul, I am generally lazy when it comes to doing maintenance. I took a look at my fork oil at 24,000 miles and it was a bit cloudy but both forks were filled up to the same level. Then at 40,000 or so I replaced my rear shocks and found that the fronts were over 80% of the crappy ride so I drained mine, flushed with ATF+4 transmission fluid and filled them up to the "before" level. I then added the cut down Goldwing springs, replacing the steel spacer inside. I will check them out at about 65,000 miles. I did not replace any seals or o-rings.

In my fluid I removed and in the two flush cycles I ran thru a coffee filter, I got a bit of black residue but no metal. That is the only reason I can think of doing a tear-down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts