Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother was giving me grief over my "scooter" during an adult beverage discussion. Of course, I was extolling the virtues of our wondrous ride. He just couldn't believe they are a good touring bike, even though I just rode 200 miles. I said they are every bit as good as other bikes and the #1 reason, I made the switch was the high number of old HD and GW rider on this site that have made the switch. His response was "if that's true, why don't you see more Burgmans on the road?" I really didn't have a good answer.

So, why aren't there more Burgmans on the open road?

·
Registered
48 Posts
One answer is peer pressure. A lot of riders are interested in the Burgman but are afraid of what their riding buddies will say if they ride a "scooter". Somehow their image is tied up in what other people think of them and they are scared to death of not fitting in. Quite a pitiful way to live if you ask me.

Here in America the scooter is looked down upon. If one doesn't have the biggest, fastest, baddest, coolest, whatever, then you don't measure up. Around the world scooters are seen as transportation not as recreational vehicles to see and be seen as here in America.

As for me, I'm glad I found the Burgman. It does everything I want to do with ease and in great comfort. It's the best kept secret in motorcycling and I don't mind if it stays that way.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Peer pressure never stopped us from riding the Burgman to a bike gathering. Usually the Burgie draws a bigger crowd of people checking it out than my VMax does...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I totally agree it doesn't stop me either but I know (image to maintain) guys that would never be caught dead on a scooter because it's not cool.

Another reason may be pricing. Dropping 10 large on a scooter is hard to swallow especially when you consider that many a good motorcycle can be had for a whole lot less. The Burgman pushed all my buttons so the price never really bothered me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi SilverDollar, I see you are from Ft. Worth, me too. I just purchased a 2007 Burgman after having some 40-45 motorcycles over many years of riding. I guess I would say a 68, six months ago I would have said, "What's a Burgman".

John

·
Registered
351 Posts
One answer is peer pressure. A lot of riders are interested in the Burgman but are afraid of what their riding buddies will say if they ride a "scooter". Somehow their image is tied up in what other people think of them and they are scared to death of not fitting in. Quite a pitiful way to live if you ask me.
Bravo - Well said!

When my HD-riding co-worker tries to give me crap about the scooter, I just say, "I've put 3,500 miles on my Burgman 650 in the past 3 months while working 6 days a week (2 jobs). How many miles have you put on your HD?" I usually get a harruuummph as he turns and walks away.

I heard a great saying years ago about why most people get into financial problems: They borrow money they don't have - to buy things they don't need - to impress people they don't know.

Going back to the scooter question, it's mostly about insecure people being scared to death of not fitting in, just like Curly said.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Here in America the scooter is looked down upon. If one doesn't have the biggest, fastest, baddest, coolest, whatever, then you don't measure up. Around the world scooters are seen as transportation not as recreational vehicles to see and be seen as here in America.
Very true, if its not the best, then it must be something lesser, and lesser doesn't cut it America. When I got my 400, people said "nice, but its a scooter." My brother-in-law asked why I didn't get the 650. Now I have a 650, but why didn't I get the executive model.

If you have a 650, has anybody ever asked you why you didn't get the 400? I'm guessing no. The bigger-is-better presumption pervades here in the USA.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I didn't know what a Burgman was until this summer when I saw two old guys (who turned out to be younger than me!) at a Hardee's in Jackson Kentucky. They were from the Carolina's, on their way out West. Both riding 650's. One had a car tire on his bike(another new one on me)
They were having the time of their lives, and right then, I knew a Burgman was in my future! A few months later, and I had my Burgman!

·
Registered
515 Posts
A similar question was asked the other day on the BMWMOA forum Scooter section.
The poster wanted to know how many BMW Scooters had been sold since the introduction. There was no clear answer, since BMW does not willingly share that info for some reason. It sounded like there was some bigger initial interest and some sales but they have dropped off considerably lately. Plus their recalls and reliability issues do not help I am sure.

It is true that scooter and Maxi scooter sales get mixed in together from what I can tell so the numbers of each type are hard to pick out.

In other countries scooters are recognized as daily transportation , more affordable than a car and widely used. Also accepted by the general public without the silly stereotypes we get here in the states.

I admit that at times I still feel like an odd duck showing up on my Burgman surrounded by thunder, and speed . I still wish I was able to ride using the hand clutch on a standard motorcycle and do try it now and again.
The reality for me at least is, if it were not for the CVT /Burgman I would have had to give up riding.

When we get to the twisty bits, I smile and NONE of them can get away from me. I have no trouble keeping up on the highway and always arrive more relaxed than the motorcycle riders due to the excellent wind protection I get.
The actual ergonomics of the Burgman are not optimal for me but I can live with it.

For those who scoff at a Maxi Scooter and thumb their nose at us, all I can say is kiss my :booty:

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
There are no television shows about scooters and since we are a media society the masses are uneducated as to the improvements over the original scooters/mopeds. :rolleyes:
I asked a guy yesterday why he was buying a HD and he said because it looked badass on TV on his favorite show...Sons of Anarchy.
We need a Scoots of Anarchy show to promote scooters I guess.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Some late summer evening encountered a chap on the GS500 riding bravely in T-short and short pants. My apparel wasn't much different. The fellow traveler stably kept 75 with the fabric flapping much like flag on a mast during the storm.

Sooner or later the road led through a lower valley where temperature drops by some couple degrees. During the trailer overtake @ 85 the lad eventually gave up.

Conclusion. Not a very good point for Burgie -- it easily allows driver to forget about AGATT.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Actually, there was a recent big Hollywood movie that prominently featured scooters - 'Larry Crown' with Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. The main character is a sincere/nice guy/semi-doofus. In other words, he lacks the sex appeal that could excite the 20-something crowd more in touch with their own hormones than the practicalities of spacious underseat storage. (Much like my avatar. Which I definitely need to change!)

Take a look at this promo blackat54 posted on another thread:

I think this is effective advertising for an in-town scooter. Add some footage of a ride on some iconic roads - Big Sur, Tioga Pass - and you've got your 400/650 ad.

·
Registered
240 Posts
A similar question was asked the other day on the BMWMOA forum Scooter section.
The poster wanted to know how many BMW Scooters had been sold since the introduction. There was no clear answer, since BMW does not willingly share that info for some reason. It sounded like there was some bigger initial interest and some sales but they have dropped off considerably lately. Plus their recalls and reliability issues do not help I am sure.

It is true that scooter and Maxi scooter sales get mixed in together from what I can tell so the numbers of each type are hard to pick out.

In other countries scooters are recognized as daily transportation , more affordable than a car and widely used. Also accepted by the general public without the silly stereotypes we get here in the states.

I admit that at times I still feel like an odd duck showing up on my Burgman surrounded by thunder, and speed . I still wish I was able to ride using the hand clutch on a standard motorcycle and do try it now and again.
The reality for me at least is, if it were not for the CVT /Burgman I would have had to give up riding.

When we get to the twisty bits, I smile and NONE of them can get away from me. I have no trouble keeping up on the highway and always arrive more relaxed than the motorcycle riders due to the excellent wind protection I get.
The actual ergonomics of the Burgman are not optimal for me but I can live with it.

For those who scoff at a Maxi Scooter and thumb their nose at us, all I can say is kiss my :booty:
+1 Doug.....My aches and pains restrict me from riding my 1200 Bandit as much as I'd like, but I love riding my 400 and my 650 Burg as often as possible.

I take no notice of the negative comments I hear about 'scooters', when I attend many of the bike meets we go to.....if I do bother to answer a comment, I usually ask ...'have you ever ridden one'?

When they say no, I usually come back with a well used saying here in the UK.....'dont knock them if you've never tried them'!...and then walk away.

Many bike riders here in the UK.... 'STILL DON'T GET IT'....I just LOVE it when I know something that they don't !!!;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I only see the small scoots around town here in Ar. Most are ridden by students or maybe someone who has lost their lic. I bought mine to pull behind my Lance Truck Camper. I don't stay in one place to long at a time and it's nice not having to unload my camper in order to run into town to pick up a few things. I have had mine for about a year now and have finally gotten over the "hey look at the fat guy on the scooter" complex. I am 65 years old and found that I don't give a **** what any one has to say about my scooter because I have had a ball run around town and places of interest. I don't think I would like to take cross country trip on mine, but for what I have mine for it's the greatest few dollars I've ever spent. Sorry I don't really have an answer as to way more aren't out there, but when I was looking for one there were quite a few listed on Craig's List so they are out there.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
You could have told him that most people are not man enough to handle wizeass's like you giving them grief over there scooter. :thefinger:
Or perhaps they need something big between there legs to make up for the lack there of. :sign12:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here in Australia its the same thing ,a scooter is any thing that has an auto gear box so you must have gears and a clutch and the loud exhaust to be a motorbike. Now my background is, I am a retired motorcycle mechanic and having owned some 600 bikes personally and have ridden almost any thing on two wheels. I have come to realise that it dose not matter what you ride ,its that feeling you get when you are riding your choice of bike style, if other bike riders bag you for your choice then they have a lot more learning to do about the reason of riding motorcycles

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At 51, I don't give a rat's furry rear end about what anyone thinks (especially my brother, lol). And, I certainly don't have to prove my manhood to anyone. But, given the clear superiority of Burgmans, I'm still surprised there are not more on the road.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Not only Burgmans but Silverwings, Majestys, BMWs, Tmaxs, MP3s(for those that need 3 wheels) even Kymco's. There is a scooter out there to fit most anyones taste or wallet. We do see a lot of scooters here in Florida but still not like you see bikes. I guess a lot of big egos and little brains. Oh well to each his own.:confused:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I asked a guy yesterday why he was buying a HD and he said because it looked badass on TV on his favorite show...Sons of Anarchy.
"Looked" is the operative word. I've always thought HDs were vanity bikes. All show and no go. And they will give you a "bad ass" after a ride or two.

I rode an HD home for a friend once after he purchased it (didn't have his license yet, dumbas.). He asked how it was. I said I needed dental work after riding it. :tongue9:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Here in Australia its the same thing ,a scooter is any thing that has an auto gear box so you must have gears and a clutch and the loud exhaust to be a motorbike. Now my background is, I am a retired motorcycle mechanic and having owned some 600 bikes personally and have ridden almost any thing on two wheels. I have come to realise that it dose not matter what you ride ,its that feeling you get when you are riding your choice of bike style, if other bike riders bag you for your choice then they have a lot more learning to do about the reason of riding motorcycles
Nicely said from a man who knows...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts