Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone asked me why I bother with paying 10K for a Burgy with the warranty. They are a fan of other types of bikes (like not scooters types). I told them I love that it is fully automatic and I don't have to piss around with shifting and all that noise. I can just enjoy things and not have to think every move out to the nth degree while on my ride. Of course, if there was another reasonable fully automatic maxi scooter that gave me the same HP for cheaper than I would consider something other than a Burgy. BMW to spendy....Silverwing (RIP) was also up there in the rafters....Burgys are pricey enough. I wouldn't want smaller engine size and I like the classic cruiser look not into racing bikes at all. BMW sort of has that motorbike racing look and I find that unappealing. I have always loved the look of Honda Goldwing so something that is less heavy but has enough HWY power and is fully auto...that is perfect for me.

I do wish that Suzuki offered a 650 that wasn't so heavy but I imagine that is a physics issue. My life on a bike is about freedom and less stress... not more. I could never figure out why people like overly noise complicated crap when it is so much easier to take all that out of the equation. For me, the Burgman is all the things I like but it could use a bit of improvement in select areas. Overall the only other bikes I have had that I liked were a Silverwing (RIP) and a Majesty which are very close to a Burgy.

So I think it is really a matter of personal pref and style, some people want to flaunt 'badass' and their interpretation of that is a loud obnoxious Harley....or they want to flash off as thrill seekers and so a racing bike like a Ninja is more what they would want to sport around on --but I have often thought those type of bikes sound like blenders with an attitude (the high whiny pitch of the engine...shirking is just as annoying as thundering loud backfiring noises). Neither of those extremes is pleseant for me-- I would find that stressful. For me, I don't want to be badass or thrill seeker. I just want to have fun and ride safely ---have a sense of freedom in it (supposedly as stress free as possible). I couldn't manage that on a Vespa either, because they do not have enough engine to cut the highway speed. I would feel stressed not being able to stay with the flow. In my mind this is just an another innvervation of muscle cars verus tweaked racers...only on two wheels. I want a steady built machine it really is about a classic style not the bully ride or the sleek cheetah of the group or the wimp ride.....

So my bike is perfect fit for me and my personality but Burgys aren't for everyone (they are the lion builds of the scooter world) and I have had some rather rude hackers heckle me about the whole 'scooter thing'-- until I blow their arse off in hwy traffic because I can exceed the speed they assume possible from a scooter. You would be surprised by the assumptions....

I do try to be polite as I share the road with many people but that same politeness is not always reflected back to me. I try to be reasonable about my approach in life and so why would that be different in my choice when it comes to two wheels? I would have figured my friend would get this about me. Obviously they had to ask so he don't. But I gave them my 20-cents on it. I told him-- he should not judge one until he gets on one and takes it for a long ride and he might be super surprised how well he likes it.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Nice write up....great outlook on things around you.
Your thoughts and karma have lifted the value of my 06 B650
and reinforced my suspicions that Burgman Riders are Undercover
Cool Dudes humbly working their Mojo.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
In early '07, I sold my Valkyrie bagger, and bought a brand new Exec. My riding buddy razzed me, gave me a heads-up that when we would stop for lunch (during our day trips) he wouldn't know me, called me "scooter trash," and other good-natured ribbing. (Of course, we really still had lunches together.)

He was mostly riding a vintage BMW at the time, an R100S. In any event, we would, as our usual custom, switch bikes for chunks of day trips, especially during stints on the scenic Taconic Parkway here in upstate NY. So he got to ride my Exec a bunch (when no one was watching, of course).

Came spring of '08, what does he do? He went out and bought a brand new Exec. He told me, "Hey, these things are just too much fun," or something like that.

That's all I got.

Well, almost. As time moved along, I sold my '07 Exec in 2012, and got a Victory bagger. And he bought a new R1200RT the year after that. He kept his '08 Exec, and a different vintage Beemer (an R90S), but pretty much only rode the RT.

Fast forward to 2016, and we were about to do one of our annual track days, but this time in Palmer, MA. I told him that an Exec would probably do well at a tight-n-twisty track like that, and "Can I borrow yours?" He said sure, so I did. And a couple of months later, I bought it from him. And a year after that, I sold my Victory.

So, the moral of this story is two-fold: you gotta try these scoots to really appreciate them, no matter what your pre-conceived notions, and; once you try them, you gotta love them.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Edit: oops, sorry, double-post.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I sometimes smile when I pass a Harley rider with his nose in the air (not picking on Harley, substitute anyone who thinks they are a badass). This kind of guy doesn't acknowlege ordinary bikes or, God forbid, scooters, because this guy is a rebel and doesn't give a **** what others think.

But the fact is, what others think means everything to him.

That's why these guys wear very specific costumes, ranging from do rags to jean jackets to leather jackets. That's why they ride Harleys and too-loud choppers. They want attention. They need be seen. What others think validates them.

The true independent? The guy who really doesn't give a rip what you think?

That's the guy on a Burgman. Or a Silver Wing. Or a BMW C 650 GT. He's enjoying an automatic transmission that's easy, fun and safer. He has smart, built in storage space. He's riding with ABS, protection from the elements and much more.

You want a bike that can carry you from New York to California without a hint of trouble?

Or a great commuter bike? Or one that's a blast on mountain roads?

The Burgman guy is sitting on it.

That's why I sometimes smile at the bad boys on their bad bikes.

They have no idea what they're missing by not being a rebel and trying something different.

·
Registered
58 Posts
AMEN! I live very near Sturgis and see a ton of the Harley "Ride free or die" crowd. The problem is 99% of them are sheep that need to buy the exact same bike and the exact same clothes as their buddies to feel like they fit in. Doesn't sound like "freedom" to me. :) I realize it's a stereotype and not all fall into it, but from my experience it's very true.

I'll stick with you, my rebel brothers and sisters, and ride a bike that I know to be superior in most ways to their Harleys.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I would say it's superior to any chopper/cruiser bike, as it has a sporting element in addition to the rest of it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've blown by a few Harleys on the DR650... I always wonder what they think when a "dirt bike" smokes 'em. Heck, I know the B400 isn't anything like the B650, but I've passed a fair number of cruisers on the 400 while blasting through the twisties.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I don't know if anyone on here can answer 'why.' With words, you just need to ride one about a half mile, and you'll see.
I've 'forced' Harley guys to ride mine, both came back with a smile and said 'Wow, that's different, that's somethin else! Not my cup of tea, but I have a whole new understanding why you ride that thing'. I'll take that as a compliment.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
For me it's really simple.

• Auto-trans because I have arthritis in my hands and pulling a clutch all day is just not going to happen.
  • Comfort. The laid back, feet forward riding position (with a full backrest) is just very nice for day-long riding.
  • It's QUIET. No loud thumping pipes or corn-popper exhaust. Just the Burgman burble.
  • Weather protection. Big screen, big fairing and while that costs me some gas mileage, oh the comfort.
  • The ability to tour with luggage for multi-week trips for a reasonable cost.
  • Lots of storage space.

·
Registered
185 Posts
" ... no corn-popper exhaust. Just the Burgman burble."

Love "corn popper exhaust." Haven't heard that before.

But ... "the Burgman burble?" Is that something special with Canadian models? ;o)

I hear a faint bit of diesel clatter. But once the SECVT starts to wind up (or down), it's a commercial jet on a runway. The CVT whine is the coolest sound I've heard on two wheels, equal to the growl a BMW scooter makes (post 2016).

I don't know if this is urban legend, but I heard Harley intentionally mistimes their engines to create that distinctive splat-pop-rumble sound. Soon as I heard that I knew I'd never own a Harley.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe HD has a patent protected asymmetrical cam? Instead of going 1, 2, 3, 4,, it goes 1-2, 3-4? Does that make sense?
I don't know if this is urban legend, but I heard Harley intentionally mistimes their engines to create that distinctive splat-pop-rumble sound. Soon as I heard that I knew I'd never own a Harley.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Someone asked me why I bother with paying 10K for a Burgy with the warranty. They are a fan of other types of bikes (like not scooters types). I told them I love that it is fully automatic and I don't have to piss around with shifting and all that noise. I can just enjoy things and not have to think every move out to the nth degree while on my ride. Of course, if there was another reasonable fully automatic maxi scooter that gave me the same HP for cheaper than I would consider something other than a Burgy. BMW to spendy....Silverwing (RIP) was also up there in the rafters....Burgys are pricey enough. I wouldn't want smaller engine size and I like the classic cruiser look not into racing bikes at all. BMW sort of has that motorbike racing look and I find that unappealing. I have always loved the look of Honda Goldwing so something that is less heavy but has enough HWY power and is fully auto...that is perfect for me.

I do wish that Suzuki offered a 650 that wasn't so heavy but I imagine that is a physics issue. My life on a bike is about freedom and less stress... not more. I could never figure out why people like overly noise complicated crap when it is so much easier to take all that out of the equation. For me, the Burgman is all the things I like but it could use a bit of improvement in select areas. Overall the only other bikes I have had that I liked were a Silverwing (RIP) and a Majesty which are very close to a Burgy.

So I think it is really a matter of personal pref and style, some people want to flaunt 'badass' and their interpretation of that is a loud obnoxious Harley....or they want to flash off as thrill seekers and so a racing bike like a Ninja is more what they would want to sport around on --but I have often thought those type of bikes sound like blenders with an attitude (the high whiny pitch of the engine...shirking is just as annoying as thundering loud backfiring noises). Neither of those extremes is pleseant for me-- I would find that stressful. For me, I don't want to be badass or thrill seeker. I just want to have fun and ride safely ---have a sense of freedom in it (supposedly as stress free as possible). I couldn't manage that on a Vespa either, because they do not have enough engine to cut the highway speed. I would feel stressed not being able to stay with the flow. In my mind this is just an another innvervation of muscle cars verus tweaked racers...only on two wheels. I want a steady built machine it really is about a classic style not the bully ride or the sleek cheetah of the group or the wimp ride.....

So my bike is perfect fit for me and my personality but Burgys aren't for everyone (they are the lion builds of the scooter world) and I have had some rather rude hackers heckle me about the whole 'scooter thing'-- until I blow their arse off in hwy traffic because I can exceed the speed they assume possible from a scooter. You would be surprised by the assumptions....

I do try to be polite as I share the road with many people but that same politeness is not always reflected back to me. I try to be reasonable about my approach in life and so why would that be different in my choice when it comes to two wheels? I would have figured my friend would get this about me. Obviously they had to ask so he don't. But I gave them my 20-cents on it. I told him-- he should not judge one until he gets on one and takes it for a long ride and he might be super surprised how well he likes it.
I’m 65 and been riding everything with a motor and two wheels for 50 years. From a 50cc Benelli two stroke to several 1500cc Valkyries. I honestly can’t remember how many motorcycles I have owned. I thought I was through riding after selling a KLR, but a pristine 2007 Burgman 650 came up for sale near me. I think I saved the best for last. It’s simply the best. We, who ride them, don’t have a **** thing to prove to anyone. There are several groups who might turn there nose up to our bikes, but I just smile and think of all the branded clothing I dont need to buy. Love the Burg.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well in truth, my scooters have never been costly since I bought used. I've had 2 bikes in my garage for a long time but for the past year or two I am just not riding as much. I figured I'd sell one and keep the RT. Well, I had to admit that was overkill for my rides which consist of commutes and a day ride on the weekend. Sold the RT last week and bought another scooter that gets delivered Tues. from FL. I think I have had 3 Burgmans over my ride time. I've also had a TMax as well. I decided to get a 16 C650 Sport. I think it will meet my needs better than the GT. Been to the Beemer scooter forum but it is really lacking in commentary so you'll will have to let me back in as a former Burgman owner. 😀 Twist n go, decent storage, great commuters, what's not to like? If you happen to be an attention ***** (I am not), you'll appreciate all the folks that just come up out of the blue to talk to you about your ride. How costly was it? $6500 with 1900 miles on it with a Givi TopBox already on it.

I use to have a CB1100 and I would ride it out to HD bike nights and I would get lots of riders come up and ask me about it. Nothing against HD but they are pricey, heavy, and don't handle the twisties as good as the scooters.

Have not been here in awhile. I will have to check and see how many DFW riders are out there now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my 2012 650 Burgman about a year ago. I paid and extra $500. for a two year warranty. Glad I did, the Clutch started to 'slip' so I took it in. They said it literally disintegrated. So a new 'Life-time Belt' and Clutch. The dealer gave me some grief regarding the warranty wasn't approved "yet". But having indicated that I only purchased the warranty for the Clutch... He acquiesced, and I'm back on my bike. Just wish he honored the warranty with the back and forth.

I ride 90 miles a day round trip to Orlando. Happily cruising at +80 mph for the most part on my 2012 Burgman Ex.. I added the Givi top case (+49 liters), coupled with the 50 liters below, make it a great commuter bike. Love the fairing, low wind, no bugs, good rain protection, and the Pillion rider is well taken care of, just ask my daughter, if she can hear you over her headphones.

As far as the image of riding a scooter, man I really don't care. My retired friends all have a HD, and I catch a little sh** at the pub, where some started calling me 'Scooter'. I smile and offer the keys, but after a few pints, they mostly turn down the the chance for a ride. They know me and that I could buy pretty much any bike that I want, and I obviously wanted a Burgman.

So I love the auto trans, the protection from the elements, the storage, definitely the storage, and it has got plenty of power for my needs. I would like a stripped down Triumph, or Honda one day for the 'around town Pub crawl, but I know I will not the wind assault etc. that come with a standard bike.

So I'm a Burgy guy, which means I'm practical. I have a couple of cars too. But choose the bike most days.

Be safe everyone. ATGATT.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Hey Gary50, great write up ....keep ‘em coming. You riding a Burgman thru the orange groves of Florida is reminiscent of the countless movie depictions of scooter rides thru the Italian vineyards...hope to bump into you at a future Pub Crawl 🍻

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Sharkey, could you start a new thread comparing the German Scoot to the Burgman 650.
It was the German Scoot and a trip to Europe that got me itching for a scooter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts