·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Can I get fries with that ?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
A little glimmer of hope for Businesses here on Day 2 of the shut down! :love:

That operation knows good publicity. A while back they were donating tents to the homeless... with their logo on them.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Guess Who Didn’t Get a Haircut ?

I hope they get the Martha Stewart Orange Award !

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've left my 401k alone and have not panicked. I screwed up in 2008 pulling everything out and ended up losing more. I dropped $200 in my index saving fund today since most everything is on sale.

Maybe now I will be able to get the wife to agree to move out of the big city.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts

·
Administrator
17,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
May jink the day. 45 minuets till NYSE closing bell.

So far today the markets are UP and been green all day. Averaging between 8.5% and 9.7%.

·
Premium Member
14,150 Posts
Up because they think the Senate will finally get off the mark and past the first procedural vote on the relief bill. Have been watching C-span all day listening to the debate. Not holding out a lot of hope that it will happen. If it doesn't watch the market fall again.

If they can get past this first hurdle there are two more votes that will need to happen before they can send it to the House with more debate between those two votes. .

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
"Bare-knuckle Fed fires nuclear kitchen sink named ‘Big Bertha’ out of its bazooka: Morning Brief" Feds have now written a blank paycheck for the banks and companies in bailouts. Dropped interest rates to 0. Will be buying treasury bonds and stocks. Trillions of dollars printed for the banks repo accounts. I just do not understand if the U.S. economy was so "robust" in February why all these measures had to be taken. That's the reason for the surge today.

I wish I threw my money in yesterday if I thought this was coming but all I seem to read is bad news.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Even with the good turn today you will see some fluctuation for some time to come. If the markets have reached the bottom then it will be a rocky and bumpy roller coaster for a few weeks, something like it has been for a week now. Even if the overall trend is up the average will still be only up slightly for a while compared with where it is now and where it was in the middle of February. There will be plenty of time to consider buying back in, or increasing your stake in, investments. Even if you buy in after a few days of an up swing and then it goes down again I really don't think the market will be down significantly more than it has been. At this point a drop of 7 or 8 points is not all that significant other than in numbers considering the markets are down almost 30% since February 19. The Dow will have to add 50% to return to where it was and that will take likely a year or more. A real significant rise would be more like 12-15% or more and that may take all week or many weeks. It might return half that in the next month or two and then rise more slowly after that if it does recover quickly. I expect another minor drop from where ever it gets to come this October if there is any question about the elections soon to happen. Or it could continue to jump at that time if a certain candidate looks to run away with it like what happened 4 years ago. The markets do tend to favor one side over the other. So it could go either way but just be on watch for it to get interesting.

·
Premium Member
14,150 Posts
Interesting it will be. Trump is in a no win situation. He is set up to get blamed no matter what he does.

If he continues to follow a tack that favors attacking the medical side of the problem he is going to get blamed for the inevitable hit the economy is going to take from the shut down. If he takes a tack that favors attacking the economic side of the problem he is going to get blamed for the inevitable increase in virus cases that is going to happen.

His only hope is to try to find a path that walks a line between keeping the economy from cratering while also keeping virus spread from getting totally out of hand. No one is going to be real happy with that and I am not sure it is even possible.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Not possible. He'll be blamed for not doing enough for either no matter what he does. The media WILL find a way.

·
Premium Member
14,150 Posts
I'm not a Trump fan or supporter but I do feel a little sorry for him in this situation. Especially when I look at the other side and see choices that I am even less a fan or supporter of.

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
there are always 3 sides to every coin, most people only see 2 lincoln got blamed for a war washington got credit for winning one,Clinton mapped the human genome, or not, I remember something about ,, a mile, and moccasins what was it? see a water moccasin run a mile,, no thats not it

·
Premium Member
14,150 Posts
Trump started this mess by gutting science closing the pandemic dept in 2018, and eliminating the CDC rep stationed in china. He made most of this mess, I do not feel sorry for him.
Even if all that is true do you think it would have made any material difference. I don't, the virus would have come here just the same and the impact would be just as bad. Just ask all the people in Europe where none of that happened and the virus still whacked them over the head.

·
Super Moderator
8,417 Posts
Well we would have at least a month or 2 headstart on this. Also the fact he lies whenever he opens his mouth does not give a very accurate assessment of the situation, delaying any helpful solutions.

Now his plan to left any restrictions by Easter is totally irresponsible and just underlines his incompetence.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Psychologically speaking the people have to have an end date....to say after Easter gives us a sight to set our hopes on. If an extension is needed we can think we made it this far another two weeks is doable.

41 - 60 of 132 Posts