Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 650 Burgman that was purchased new in June '06 and still has the original battery. What is the longest period of time anyone has gone without replacing a useable battery in their scoot. I keep saying I'm going to replace it, but it just keeps on going....

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
My 2006 400 still has the battery that came in it. I'll replace it when it shows signs of weakness when I'm starting the bike. The battery in my 2007 650 reached that point summer before last and I replaced it at that time.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Both of your batteries have held out impressively well ! Do you guys keep them on Battery Tenders or chargers when you aren't riding them? I'd like to know your "secrets"

My 08's battery quit "suddenly" on me recently - no warning at all. I did not ride it at all over about three months due to medical issues and surgery. But after I was "cleared" to ride it started up just fine quite a number of times for about a month before quitting.

But I should have put it on the Battery Tender during the "no ride" period but I didn't. So I paid the price by getting stranded quite some distance from home and having to be towed home because nearby dealers were either closed or did not have a replacement battery in stock.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
I don't keep mine on a battery tender. I also don't give them any special care. I do however ride my bikes at least once a week and my rides are not normally just short hops to the store. it's unusual for me to ride less than 15 to 20 miles and more often than not my rides are 100 to 400+ miles. That means when I fire the bike up the battery gets fully charged back up before I shut the bike down.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do use a battery tender on occasion. Usually when one of the scoots has been sitting for a while, I'll hook up the tender while I'm checking tire pressure and oil. So far the little green light has almost immediately come on, letting me know all is fine. One of the first things I do when I buy a bike is attach a quick connect terminal to the battery.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
My 2004 Lardy was sold in 2010 with the original battery.a battery tender used routinely because it helps to prevent the plates sulphurisation. So 6 years.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I bought mine from the original owner and he said the battery was the one that came with the scoot... Its an 03 and the battery is still going strong... I do have a battery tender wired but I ride almost every day so I keep it going...
If I have to replace it,,, I think I will go for a good gel pac...

BTW Norman,,, Is a Lardy just another name for a scoot???

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hmmm, strange about these batteries. Like Buffalo, I haven't done anything special with my battery either but I ride during all four seasons. And all of my rides are always at least 20 miles at least once a week and an occasional 6 mile round trip to town & back.

I hadn't used the Battery Tender since early 2004 when I had two motorcycles and I was working over 60 hrs per week. This time the low back problem and subsequent surgery threw me a curve and I couldn't ride for three months.

I wonder if the brand of battery that came with my Burg might have been an inferior brand? It was a Furukawa Battery manufactured for Suzuki Motor Corp. I replaced it with a Yuasa brand which I thought was the most used OEM brand.

The 1993 Honda CB750 that I owned for over 11 years only required one replacement battery during the time that it was mine. It had a non-maintenance free Yuasa battery.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just last week I replaced the original battery in my '03 Burgman 650.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
So I might have another 2 years on my 05 battery? That's nice to know.
I have noticed that it only holds a charge of 11.96 volts so it is getting weaker so I might just get a back up.... JIC.

Edited to add: A Motobatt advert just popped up as soon as I originally posted. :lol:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Original battery in my 2004 400. Take battery out & use a charger periodically over the winter season; during riding season, even if it sits idle for several weeks still holds charge & starts no problem.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
My '03 400 has the original battery at 23.5k miles. No battery tender here like Buffalo. Also like him I ride 99.44 days out of every 100, at least 10 to 15 miles each ride...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts