Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little back ground...

Mrs got her '09 scooter a year ago. She loves it. Time to change the oil and plugs.

Who the **** was the engineer who designed this thing! Can't get a funnel to sit close to level unless the bike is on the center stand. And then it's only barely....gotta use a fuel funnel?...sux.

Puts the radiator on a hinge...and expects someone with midget hands to be able to pull the packs off the plugs with finger tips?...have to disassemble the socket/extension and wrench...and still have wires mounted to the head right over the plug holes?...

I gotta tell ya...draining the oil and changing filter was a breeze...after that...fuggetaboutit.

pisspoor design who ever it was.

End of rant.

Again...she really loves the scooter.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You haven't worked on any car made since 1980 have you? Granted things are tight but they are that way on a LOT of other vehicles. BTW you should work on a bike/scoot with it on the center stand or a lift so that it is level and stable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...a lift will be on the wish list.

Just caught me by surprise is all. If they'd have put the hinge on the bottom of the radiator...things prolly wouldn'tve been so bad...but ****. That right side plug....for a old guy with foggin up readers...and a right thumb that's freshly a bit shorter than the left.....

Lets just say...there was a lil bit of cussin goin on in my garage .

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
If you've got thick hands I could see it being and issue but otherwise with the right tools and procedure I find they are easy to get to. With a #2 Phillips screwdriver, 1/4" drive ratchet, 10mm 1/4" drive deep socket, 5/8" spark plug socket, 3/8" drive 3" extension, long handle 3/8" drive flex head socket, and a 2-6" Irwin quick-grip bar clamp.

Remove the engine cover, removed the plastic radiator surround, use the 10mm socket to take out the one bolt for the radiator, turn the handlebars fully left, remove the left radiator bolt, swing it out and use the clamp to hold it a way to the front brake disc, reach in and unplug the coils, unfold the wire retainer and move the wiring, remove the coils, and insert the socket/extension and then attach the ratchet. :) I do have slimmer hands and I am a professional auto mechanic though.

·
Registered
735 Posts
MJR is on top of it. I have XXL-sized hands with arthritis and plug-changing wasn't a problem after I watched LeDude's video. Can't remember if I had a problem getting the torque wrench in there or not. Seems to me that I did, so I just torqued them by feel. Frankly, I'd much rather work on the 650 than work on one of my ******* cages!

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
changing the plugs isn't that hard, just takes a bit of patience and a good vocabulary when it comes to #(!&@@ when you scrap your knuckles.

Just take your time, push the radiator as far as you can, keep it open using a bungee cord. A small ratchet makes the job much easier.

I had a hard time the first time I did mine but have gotten my routine down now.

Elevating the bike can make the job easier too.

good luck

·
Registered
630 Posts
. :) I do have slimmer hands and I am a professional auto mechanic though.
Just might help a bit, eh? :rolleyes: Pretty much any motorcycle is a pain to work with; they're tightly packaged vehicles. The OEM rear shocks are pretty smart with the preload adjusters. The front fender is a bugbear if you want it off without removing the wheel first. Two of the bolts are on the inside, just above the brake calipers. Bodywork always complicates matters.

Sometimes I think LeDude knows so much because he IS a 650 Burgman and tells his human owner what to do.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
The front fender is a bugbear if you want it off without removing the wheel first. Two of the bolts are on the inside, just above the brake calipers.
My slimmer hands and good dexterity make removing the front fender easy with a combination wrench up in there to loosen/tighten and fingers to remove those two bolts laying down in front of the bike. ;)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I have no problems with design considering the design constraints. I deal with what little difficulties there are performing scheduled maintenance for the performance I receive from the machine, the BURGMAN GRIN is priceless.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
They don't make bikes to work on , they make bikes to SELL ! Best bet for any one who has never worked on a bike or that particular bike , is to watch a video like LaDude and others have on you-tube , and look your shop manual over before hand . Get a plan of attack , have the proper tools , take you time and work methodically step by step . Think of the job as 50 or a hundred little jobs or steps , then just do each one , one by one . Above all DO NOT get in a hurry , haste makes waist . You never know , some day you may learn to enjoy the process . The more you know about your bike the less likely you are to get stranded .

Relax & enjoy . TheReaper!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Ok, did all that. How in heck do those coils come off? I seriously cannot get them to pop off the plugs.
Just pull off, maybe gently with a long screwdriver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts