Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yesterday I did one of the most stupid things I've done (lately). Was at a stop light on the 650 Burg. I know that the road narrows from 2 lanes to one lane ahead and I'm in the lane that doesn't merge. I've got a white car beside me. Now I'm pretty sick and tired of cars trying to get ahead of me and cutting me off just cause I'm on a scooter. Light turns green and I go - car stays beside me - I give it more gas - car still trying to stay with me - I crank it a bit and pull ahead - look at the speedo and I'm doing 90 Km/hr in a 50 - but YEAH I'm winning. I then glance behind me to see the face of the driver. But before I can see the driver's face I realize it's a COP CAR I'm racing! I flip on the right turn signal, hammer on the brakes and quickly pull into a car dealership. I know I have no excuse - he has me dead-to-rights. But he keeps on going, doesn't even turn around to come get me. Now either he was going to an accident scene and didn't have time for me or (I like this one better) he didn't want to write up in his traffic book that he was beat by a SCOOTER!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Lucky you!

My son (18) got his first ticket yesterday for 69 in a 55 while passing on a 2 lane road. They clocked him right at the end while he was getting back into the lane. Like me, he normally travels just a couple over the posted speed limit. In addiation, they got him for not having insurance. His proof of insurance was out of date. The trooper did tell him that all he needs to do is get the proof of insurance updated and take it to court and they'll drop that part of the ticket. He can also have the speeding ticket removed by taking a drivers education course. So no (huge) insurance rate increase...this time.

On the positive side, it'll only end up costing him $40 (for the drivers ed course) and end up saving me cash. When he went to the insurance company, he found out they still had coverage on a car I sold at the same time I added coverage for the Burgman.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ah, the unmarked patrol car...

Over here, they only actually stop you if there are two of them in the car, so if you do stray over the sped limit you keep your eyes peeled for two adult males in a 3.0 litre sedan.

Best to graciously let people go and them haunt them on the bends - and once they get tired of ou filling their mirrors they'll either try let you go past, or try too hard and crash. They do the latter often on rainy days when they really are convinced that a car should be much faster than a bike. Not always, my friend... not one night last June.

Needless to say, that was an especially satisfying moment. Driver had no injuries.

Take it easy out there.
Lycheed

·
Registered
231 Posts
Arby that is just too funny. I am a police officer myself here in Georgia. As far as what happened in this case hard to say. May have been going to a "non-emergency" call. Or may have been about time to get off thus did not want to mess with it. Or maybe did not have radar in the car and simply had no idea how fast you were going. But probably more than likely the Krispy Kreme (doughnut shop for those who don't know) had just had a fresh batch come out and he was on his way :wink: Hey on a side note today we had a guy get ran over by a car while riding his bicycle. The car was actually on top of the guy. He was dragged a few feet before she got the car stopped. He was pinned right under front part of car under the engine. Was actually concious and talking. He was life-flighted to trauma center and I do not know as of yet if he lived or not will try and check next date. Just proves you have got to be careful and alert!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wasn't even an unmarked cruiser. I just didn't check my mirrors to see all markings and light bar on top.

Up here in Ontario Canada we only have about 2-3 Crispy Creme stores. We are the area of proliferation of Tim Horton's donut shops.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I think I would have been surprised if he had stopped you,
# 1 you made a right so no problem ,
# 2 you may have hit 50 but by the time the offers could even look to see his own speed you were making a right into a business (how fast could you be going and still turn),
# 3 you could not have been very far from the light considering how fast the 650 is off the line.
somehow a ticket for speeding ( from a standstill within 1 block?) I don't think a judge would believe it.8)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Uh oh I got this video clip from my police buddy who lives in the town where this incident took place. Looks like the truth has now came out.

:wink:

·
Registered
320 Posts
:lol: Don't try this at home, kids! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts