Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What began as a battle of the motorcycle brands to show who makes the most reliable motorcycle, has resulted in a nationalist showdown. Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, and Kawasaki are all among the more reliable brands, based on our survey of more than 11,000 Consumer Reports subscribers, followed closely by Suzuki, Honda, and Kawasaki. The predicted failure rates for four-year-old motorcycles ranged from 11 to 15 percent in this group.

The domestic brands Victory and Harley-Davidson fell in between the extremes, with 17 and 26 percent, respectively.

The remaining brands—Triumph, Ducati, BMW, and Can-Am—were among the more trouble-prone. In fact, BMW and Canada-based Can-Am are both estimated to have failure rates of around 40 percent by the fourth year of ownership.

Reliablity by brand Brand......... Percent failed
Yamaha/Star ...............................11%
Suzuki ........................................12
Honda ........................................12
Kawasaki ....................................15
Victory .......................................17
Harley-Davidson ...........................26
Triumph ......................................29
Ducati .......................................,33
BMW ..........................................40
Can-Am.......................................42

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/makes-most-reliable-motorcycle-100025261.html

·
Registered
699 Posts
What does "failed" mean? Warranty claim? Out-of-warranty unscheduled service? Failure to start? Total disintegration?

I don't even know what to do with these numbers.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
753 Posts
You know, I had my BMW R1100RT for almost 11 years and I forget how many miles and other than it needed new shocks never had a thing go wrong with it. They did fix a errant neutral light under warranty but that is hardly worth mentioning. I had no reason to sell it except that when I bought my new Goldwing I did not see the reason to have two touring bikes so sold my oldest one. I do miss that RT. Sure was fun on curvy roads. Great bike.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, I had my BMW R1100RT for almost 11 years and I forget how many miles and other than it needed new shocks never had a thing go wrong with it. They did fix a errant neutral light under warranty but that is hardly worth mentioning. I had no reason to sell it except that when I bought my new Goldwing I did not see the reason to have two touring bikes so sold my oldest one. I do miss that RT. Sure was fun on curvy roads. Great bike.
Well that means you were part of the 60%

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well that means you were part of the 60%
I guess that it does at that.

But I had an even older one that never gave me any trouble either. Did not keep that one very long as it was too slow for me then. Wouldn't be now though.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I would have figured Harley to have failed more. I know of several riders here who ride Harleys but have all sorts of problems. Maybe there is some lying going on? The top 3 are what I figured - Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki. Kawasaki is forth and I kind of wonder if they are lower because of how many sport models they have and that kids on them trash them rather than maintain them. Can Am is at the bottom{of a very short list!}.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
So if you buy a Harley, there's a 25% chance you're going to have a problem, lol. I don't like those odds.
I'm guessing if you're speaking of Yamahas Star 250, Suzukis GS 250, Hondas Rebel 250 have to be near 100% bulletproof? No warrantee even needed on those sweethearts, and after the issues I'm having and tired of, the thought has crossed my mind. The wind/weather protection of the Burg though.......

·
Registered
158 Posts
My 5 year old Roadstar with 54,000 miles only had the problem of wearing rear tires bald. Most any tire lasted was 9,000mi. But no valve adjustment(hydraulic), belt drive no adjustment necessary after the first one at 2,000mi, 50 mpg on regular gas. Never should have traded it off. It was a real GTO gas/tires/oil........only.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One would think the bikes on the top of the list would produce higher owner satisfaction, and those bikes on the bottom of the list would have the least owner satisfaction. Nope.

Consumer Reports also surveyed "Owner Satisfaction"

Brand............... Would definitely buy again
Victory............... 80%
Harley-Davidson....72
Honda................ 70
BMW.................. 68
Can-Am.............. 67
Ducati................ 66
Yamaha.............. 65
Triumph.............. 63
Kawasaki............ 59
Suzuki................ 58

Article
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/motorcycle-brand-highest-owner-satisfaction-150000516.html

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Well I know this list has a lot to do with lying. Many people aren't really satisfied but rather feel they are "hip" because of what they own. I know this is true with many Harley owners and I would say probably also with BMW and Ducati. They enjoy it when it does run and feel like they are in a "special" club. This would explain why Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki are so low in this list. The only truly honest folks are Honda owners!:p

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I know this list has a lot to do with lying. Many people aren't really satisfied but rather feel they are "hip" because of what they own. I know this is true with many Harley owners and I would say probably also with BMW and Ducati. They enjoy it when it does run and feel like they are in a "special" club. This would explain why Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki are so low in this list. The only truly honest folks are Honda owners!:p
^^^+1^^^

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I have not owned all makes ,however, I would put my Silverwing against any make as far as ease of maint., and reliability

·
Registered
2 Posts
I traded my 07 C90 Suzuki in on my new ....well 11500 miles on it now CCT Victory.. The Suzuki was still running strong with 100000 miles on it but I was tired of changing stators (4 and ready for a 5th when I traded) Im a very high miles rider and will use my wifes 400 Burgman more now to save miles on the Vic. Both the Vic and C90 were VERY comfortable bikes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts