Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
23,310 Posts
My 08 has a crack. GIVI installed accordingly to instructions. Cracked at 35,000 miles. Unknown reason why the under frame bracket is also broken, both crack and break are on Left upper hole. JB-welded the bracket and drilled the crack. Have busted the ton + a few times, OK more than a few, ALRIGHT ALRIGHT, MANY TIMES, sometimes a few times a day. :D Average speed is 72 MPH.

·
Administrator
23,310 Posts
SO, What is up with almost all these cracks being LEFT and TOP????? Different manufactures, still LEFT TOP. ?????

·
Administrator
23,310 Posts
MJR said:
Dave_J said:
SO, What is up with almost all these cracks being LEFT and TOP????? Different manufactures, still LEFT TOP. ?????
Maybe the wind blows harder on the left side. :lol:
One cheek sneek to the left side. :twisted:

And when I say left side, I mean as you set on the seat, not looking from the front. :D I don't know what it looks like from the front, I am setting in the seat as I'm doing 75 MPH. :lol:

·
Administrator
23,310 Posts
I guess I could cobble up some stainless steel strapping, one for the inside and one for the outside, line the surface touching the shield with thin foam and cover it with the stock front mask but extended up about 2 to 3 inches. It would have to help. I may work on this this weekend, tomorrow thru Tues.

If I had some stainless wire I could weld a cross brace to help even more. I do not have a TIG welder, only a wire feed MIG welder. But I could see about copper straps and braze them.

Something like this:[attachment=0:ucnbnwmz]HD.jpg[/attachment:ucnbnwmz]

·
Administrator
23,310 Posts
I would think that if I were manufacturing windscreens and there was a flaw with a bike, I would make a work-a-round. How hard would it be for GIVI/CLEARVIEW/CEE BALEY to make a larger support frame for under and a larger mask up top????

I looked in my garage for some stainless strapping. I thought I had some but it is hidden somewhere. I may just drop by my metal supply and get some. I need new well-nuts too. You can get 10 well-nut from Ebay for like $12 with free shipping.

I was going to make a under H support but just weld it with standard steel wire and paint the metal so the welds don't rust.

Theres a thing about Washington State. In Flordia the South Beach girls get tan's that are so deep and golden. :D Up here we don't TAN, we RUST. :thumbup: :cheers:

·
Administrator
23,310 Posts
Because the curvature of each windshield from each manufacture will be different there can not be a "One fits all" support system. Each one would need longer or shorter curves across from left top hole to right top hole.

I could make one for a GIVI, BUT do not know if it would fit others. If I were to try making them for other owners with GIVI's I could not weld them so you could polish them up, as a TIG welder and setup would cost me about $1600 just to start. But if I made them bolt together with some GNARLY SPIKE BOLTS, they could be polished to mirror finish.

I suppose I could slot the top bolt slightly and you could curve the steel to fit the curve of the shield and bolt it on, cover it with the mask. Anyone could make these and the cost would be so low I am sure there is no "Get Rich" market for me. It would be for cost + shipping and a beer or two. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.