Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let's see, there's the Jac Vinson back rest, the utopia back rest, the corbin seat and I'm not sure what else. I know the corbin seat is expensive but cost aside which of these really gives you the most comfort.
The older I get the more comfort I seem to want. :lol: And does the corbin seat give you more leg room as well?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
In my case, I _had_ to do something with my 400 seat, as it was not just uncomfortable but intolerably painful on rides over about 45 minutes. Since I bought the thing in part to take long trips on, well, something had to give. The pain was right at the base of my spine, on the tailbone, at a spot where I determined the factory seat has only a tiny fraction of an inch of padding.

At first, I tried cheap solotions. I'd just spent more than I really cared to on the scoot, so cheap was foremost in my mind just then. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a square of foam rubber for $1.47; it looked like hell but made me feel better. Still, it was not enough. So, I priced a Corbin seat, left the webiste screaming in pain, and commenced researching. After literally _weeks_ of study, I determined that if anything short of a Corbin was going to work, the AirHawk seat cushion for a cool $150 or so would. Sure, I wanted to pay less. But, I reasoned, the AirHawk was a sure thing.

It wasn't. Though it definitely made things better, it became very clear very quickly that the problem was inherent in a flawed seat design, one that the engineers had botched so badly that even modern high-tech seat-cushion design could not make up the difference. So, finally, I bit a most unwelcome bullet and bought a Corbin, paying over 10% of the cost of a new bike for the privilege. I've not been able to ride a whole lot since, but the Corbin appears to work. At least for me.

At that price, it **** well _should_.

You may wish to check out the 400 Corbin Seat thread in "Accessories" at http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3451

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
After he had just had it installed Lapine Rider said he didn't notice any additional legroom on his Corbin seat. When I parked my butt on his Burgman after riding my stock 400 seat, I did notice additional legroom. The Corbin felt great for my 6 foot height. If you are planning on replacing the shield and getting the Corbin, you aught to purchase the Corbin first or make allowance for the extra height the Corbin seat provides.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure

billmeek said:
you aught to purchase the Corbin first or make allowance for the extra height the Corbin seat provides.
Hi bill
I'm not sure what you mean (purchase the Corbin first or make allowance for the extra height the Corbin seat provides) Is the corbin higher than stock and if so by how much. (I really like the height of the stock seat. :?: and thanks guys

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I didn't measure but I'd guess it was at least an inch or 2 higher than the stock seat. If I see Lapine Rider again soon, I'll try and remember to measure and make a better comparison.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
swstiles, if you have never owned a Corbin seat, I would suggest you sit on one before you buy one. Some people like them, some do not. I had one (on a PC800) and found it uncomfortable. For me, Corbin make a good design but it is just too hard for my tastes.

More leg room - Have you removed your seat but rest?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I am 6' tall, 32" inseam and 34" sleeves. That said, I first put an utopia backrest on my stock seat and noticed an immediate improvement in comfort. However, I had to shave about an inch of foam out of the butt pad for increased legroom. Last Fall, I bought the regular Corbin with rider's backrest. In my opinion it is superior to the stock seat with the Utopia. It is firmer than stock but it does feel better. There is a noticable increase in legroom.

Important. If your dimensions are less than mine you should consider the close Corbin. The primary difference will be in the arm reach to the handlebars.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not available

roy_ryall said:
swstiles, if you have never owned a Corbin seat, I would suggest you sit on one before you buy one. Some people like them, some do not. I had one (on a PC800) and found it uncomfortable. For me, Corbin make a good design but it is just too hard for my tastes.

More leg room - Have you removed your seat but rest?
Yes I have removed the butt stop and I love the r extra room but there would have to be some padding added to make it a viable option. To my
knowlege there is not a corbin seat anywhere close to me that I could try out.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I believe that if you purchase direct from Corbin the seat can be returned minus a 15% restocking fee. I'd contact Corbin directly to verify it can be returned.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Dealers usually special order Corbin seats. Very few stock them. But if you can find a motorcycle that has a Corbin seat and sit on it, you will be able to see how they feel. Corbin seems to be consistent with their product. I've had Corbin seats on my last three motorcycles, and they have all felt the same. It is possible that a dealer might have a used bike in stock that has a Corbin seat, or they might be able to put you in touch with another customer that has one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was visiting the local BMW dealership here in Tacoma and sat on a BMW 650 with a seat they had sent to a place called Rich's in Seattle. The seat has been customized for somebody, but I was amazed at how comfortable it was. I do not know anythig about Rich's except what I read on a BMW forum last year. They always got good press, but like Corbin are expensive (I think). Might be an alternative to explore.

I bought a Wal-Mart camo self inflating pad right after I got my 650. Cost was $10 I think and after some adjusting I find it was well worth the money. I've got a 30" inseam and could flat foot the 650 when stopped. I now use my toe tips to stay upright, but the difference is okay for the comfort gained. I'm installing my Utopia next week in hopes of completing the seat mods to eliminate the pain I felt after 60 mins on my scoot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts