Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing research ahead of time, I'm having a difficult time which Burg to get. I have not ridden in about ten years, my last was a Kawi Ninja 1000. I'm not looking for mind blowing power, not interested anymore, I just want the ability to get on and cruise. I will be riding solo with some highway ventures and local shopping. It will be used mostly in Brooklyn NY. The 650 is more than I would like to spend and found the 400 to fit me well. I'm just concerned about take off speed when getting onto the highway and mantaining a cruising speed of about 65mph without stressing the engine to much. Any input on the topic would be greatly appreciated. One other thing, what is Hp rating of the 400 and top speed?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
InfernoST
Right now you have no idea how funny your post sounds to those of us that own a 400, :lol:
#1 you will have no problem getting up to highway speed if the other cars get out of the way. off the line you are faster then most cars anyway.
#2 at 65 the 400 in not breathing hard, it will hold 75 all day long.
True your not going to hit the throttle and go flying past anyone at that speed, but nether will you get in anyone's way :)
!And for in town it just can't be beat :!:
Can't give you top speed, never took mine above 91 indicated, but that should be about it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Randy

Thanks for your input. Like I said I had the Ninja and the only scooter I owned was Honda CH150 deluxe that barely made 50 with a back wind. I just want to make the right choice. Not to mention the Wife isn't to keen on this. It's hard to get a test drive up here that's why I'm asking

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Having lived in Queens half of my life I know what your up against.
I can tell you that you would be hard pressed to find a better balance of power, economy, and weight.
But I sure hope your not going to park it in the street :D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The 400 has 32HP at the engine flywheel and approximately 24.5HP at the rear wheel as measured on a dyno. I topped mine out at 95 (indicated) and might have been able to eek out only another couple of miles per hour. While it has a distinctive "singing" of a single at high speeds, it'll cruise 70 MPH all day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dang, why did I wait until I was 42? :?

I regularly cruise with the traffic, rather than the posted limits. Have no problem going a steady 75, except at altitude, climbing a mountain...but then again the cages are slowing down too and I'm still keeping pace or passing :twisted:

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
The 400 will suffice. However, if you liked the thrust feeling of your old 1000 then the 650 is closer to that.

I like the 650's power mode and manual mode options. I don't think I would have bought it if these "gimmicks" weren't available. I prsnly don't see them as that, but many of our more lampine scootistas do. I still have a lil bit of drag/road racer left in me, but prefer at the same time to just slide along quietly without having to clutch and stick.

90% of my riding is local and I've found the big burger EZ to manuver, park, push (within limits,) and way better than my old car on gas. 46 - 47mpg is fine with me thank you. When I get on the Interstate, I can go past most any suicidal traffic. If I want to go "a ton" - it a full twist and a few seconds away.

Tiptronic rules.
Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts