Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read the Dress code topic started by sid. I am getting my 650 end of this week and dont know which type of helmet to use.

I plan to built in a CB and intercom.

Which one I should use.

1. full face
2. full face with chin opening
3. no chin only perspex

Maybe you can help me with advantages or diadvantages of each model.

Thanks

Slepejs

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'll step up to bat.

A full face will give you the best protection.

A jet helmet (open face) will be most comfortable in warm weather but it's risky for obvious reasons.

I use a flip-up Syncrotech. For me it's an acceptable compromise between safety and comfort. I keep it down when riding at speed, and sometimes flip it up while riding at slow speeds, at toll booths, etc. It's also nice to be able to pop into a store or talk to someone without having to take it off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use an HJC flip helpmet. Seeing my husbands helmet after he had his accident, he certainly would have had a concussion and a large section of his face would have been gone. The broken leg and arm would have been the least of his injuries. The helmet saved him. This was a low speed accident and could have been must more serious than it was. He should be the poster boy for full face helmets.

Of course, if he had been riding a Burgman, he probably wouldn't have had the accident and been able to stop in a shorter distance. But, he was on a Honda Valkryie and that monster just couldn't stop in time.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'll join the crowd. I'll only wear a full face helmet. I use a HJC SYMAX for the Burgman and a HJC AC10 for the Bandit.

With the GIVI screen and corbin seat, I can usually ride with the shield open. For sustained highway speeds, I put in earplugs and lower the visor.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Full face all the way for me. Like Mary said in the event you should go down the full face will give your face that extra protection.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
3/4 helmet here, me and my wife, cooler and allows for better communication. We have face shields for when it rains.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
i have a HJC full face. One of these days I will buy the flip up but can't justify it with the new FF already. I have a half helmet when I ride passenger. However lately been just wearing my FF because of personal preference.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Slepejs wrote
I just read the Dress code topic started by sid. I am getting my 650 end of this week and dont know which type of helmet to use.
I use a 3/4 most of the time, and a Zeuse flip-up for longer rides .But forget what other people use,
not all helmets fit the same you should try them on.
The best helmet money can buy offers no protection if it's uncomfortable and you leave hanging on a hook

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have two Shoei full face helmets. The older RF-800 is the better cold weather helmet. The new Z-Two ventilates better, but is slightly noisier - I use it in the hot weather. I also have a 3/4 helmet. Wore it just once last summer. I prefer the better protection, and the Z-Two was actually more comfortable on a hot day.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nolan N100E flip-front (modular). With the modular I have no trouble getting it on/off over my glasses. It has lots of ventilation and the shield can be left open a crack (or up, if you really want). On the "con" side, the vents make it somewhat noisy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Slepejs,

If you are asking the question my guess is you have not taken a motorcycle safety course. A full face that is both DOT and Snell approved will give you the best protection.

Take the course!

·
Registered
822 Posts
BobG said:
Hi Slepejs,

If you are asking the question my guess is you have not taken a motorcycle safety course. A full face that is both DOT and Snell approved will give you the best protection.

Take the course!
Slepejs is in the Czech Republic, according to his info. I don't know if the MSF operates over there but there may be something similar.

Slepejs, Bob is right about taking some kind of motorcycle safety course. If you haven't taken that, and you're new to riding, I would highly recommend holding off on building in the CB and intercom until you've mastered riding comfortably... you'll need 100% of your focus on driving!

On the other hand if we're wrong and you're not new to riding, my apologies.... go with the flip-up (my opinion)... best of both worlds. Can flip it up instead of taking it off when at a short stop, can use it with glasses, gives protection almost as well as a full-face helmet. Personally, I use the Vega Summit XPV and its by far the best helmet I've had yet!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Chuck,
FWIW The flip-ups do not have the Snell approval. There was a discussion of this on the beginnerbikes.com forum. The consensus was they do not provide the same level of protection as a full-face. Sorry I can't give you the link because that board crashed and they lost their archives.

·
Registered
822 Posts
BobG said:
Hi Chuck,
FWIW The flip-ups do not have the Snell approval. There was a discussion of this on the beginnerbikes.com forum. The consensus was they do not provide the same level of protection as a full-face. Sorry I can't give you the link because that board crashed and they lost their archives.
I think I've been on that board quite some time ago.

From my understanding, they don't have the Snell approval because none of the manufacturers submitted their flip-ups to Snell for testing.

The flip-ups may not offer the same level of protection as the full-face, but the protection is definitely better than the 3/4 helmets. I also understand they're getting better every year.

·
Registered
239 Posts
chuck807 said:
BobG said:
Hi Chuck,
I think I've been on that board quite some time ago.

From my understanding, they don't have the Snell approval because none of the manufacturers submitted their flip-ups to Snell for testing.

The flip-ups may not offer the same level of protection as the full-face, but the protection is definitely better than the 3/4 helmets. I also understand they're getting better every year.
You are correct that they have not been submitted to Snell which begs the question...why not? I'm guessing the manufacturers know they would not meet Snell standards.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I read somewhere (I forget where) that Snell doesn't have standards for the flip-up helmets. If standards don't exist, then you can't very well meet them.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Why won't Snell certify some types of helmets like flip up front designs?
Snell does not dismiss out of hand any helmet design that strays from the conventional. Snell does not point out any design specifications other than general requirements in our standards. We are however, always concerned with innovations and new designs that may effect the helmet's ability to protect the wearer, or in some cases the helmets potential to cause injury. At present the Foundation has not had the opportunity to test any of the flip up front type helmets for certification. We do not find any fault with these designs as long as they are used according to the manufacturers instructions and meet all of the requirements of the standard. We will also certify any size of helmet as long as it meets the same requirements as any other Snell certified helmet

this is from the Snell website.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts