Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Also, how about HID kits not made in communist china. Thanks
lol. hard request, most US operations have been moved to either China, India you name it, etc. It's basic logistics as in the army. A good read on this is the book "Poorly made in China".

if you know a set made 100% in the US, let me know I may buy it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
but I haven't worked up the courage to put the headlights in the oven to soften the glue that keeps the clear lense in place.

It's not that hard a job Erik, and they do not need to be very hot, i did this on a set of headlights for a car i had some years ago, put them in the oven at 60 deg.C for 10 min. and give it a try, the clear lens is made of Lexan / Polycarbonate and can take much much higher temps. without damage.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Speaking of headlights, the previous owner put some scratches in my left-side lens, looks like he used a scotchbrite pad on it actually. I tried manually buffing it out with Meguiars but I was sure that I'd have tendonitis long before I had a clear lens. Any tips? thanks

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Look around on the PlanetHID site, there are threads about polishing the headlight lenses. Apparently, it's commonplace to do it on Hawaii, because the massive UV-radiation turns the car's headlights yellow and matte after a few years of exposure.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Just installed HIDs on my 2012 CF650TR which had H8 35W OSRAM bulbs standard. Far too few lumens for what are needed in PRC. I ideally wanted a upmarket HID Xenon 55W 6000K kit either manufactured for overseas markets by a foreign company or JV here in China, but unfortunately not really available for motorcycles/scooters... only cars. So took a gamble and bought a locally made kit anyway. The brand name of the kit therefore is unimportant.

The H8 bulb being that they're primarily used in fog/spot light applications, do not have a low/high element, unlike the H4's in the Burgman, Jetmax or my Dragstar 1100 classic. The latter two (Jetmax and Dragstar) I had previously installed HIDs which work okay. The H8's are better on the 650TR, as the install was easier - not requiring a live wire to the battery as the H4 systems do, and also as the reflector provides a more controlled beam with the H8s, unlike the H4 HIDs on the Jetmax and Dragstar.

I've held off installing HID kit into either of my AN650's simply because I opted to install Halogen 100/90W bulbs, which have worked good enough. Sure the Xenons could put out more light and a whiter colour depending on what I buy, but I do like the real convenience of Halogens, they're much easier to find to buy and install. I might get round to installing a set at some point though, as many vehicle drivers in PRC drive at night with full on high beam, not matter what any one else is doing! Blinding others and what not... so my headlights need to compete with that!

Jetmax review
HID install link
CF650TR review

·
Registered
735 Posts
I ran 100W/80W halogens in Cibie lenses I had on a Porsche long ago, they were fantastic except that (1) they caused the headlight relay and wiring to become VERY warm (alarmingly so), and (2) oncoming traffic always flashed me because they thought my low beams were high beams. I wish I could have heard the swearing when I gave them the 100W high beams in return!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts