Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I have to wait for my motorhome to sell before I buy my Burgman, I've had plenty of time to research the two Burgman models. I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter which one I pick as they both have many more positive attributes than negative and they both will do anything I will ask of them. Price will probably be the determining factor. Making a choice is complicated by the innumerable great deals out there for Burgman 650's. Many times one can find low mileage "excellent" and "like new" Burgman 650's for a comparable Burgman 400 at the same price or for only a few hundred more.

I'm looking for a 2005 or newer 650 or a 2008 or newer 400. I don't want to spend over $4,000.

90% of my riding will be errands to town (10 mi. away) and short day trips around Northern MI. On a few occasions, maybe once a year, I'll take an extended camping trip of a month or so. My camping kit, that I presently use for bicycle camping, is 50 lbs. I'd like to add a bigger tent, a nicer chair, and a little more substantial tarp. These "comfort" items will add up to another 20 lbs. So, added to my 250 lbs. (on a 6' frame) I'll be carrying 320 lbs. on the scooter.

The size of the scooter shouldn't be a problem. Although limited in experience compared to many on this site, I have owned and camped with three motorcycles -- Yamaha 400, Kawasaki 440 and a Harley Low Rider. (All bikes did an admirable job, although I was a svelt 200 lbs. at the time.)

By the way, I'm a notoriously slow rider. I always take the scenic route at slow speeds (45-60 mph) and, unless forced to do so, will never be on an interstate.

I think the Burgman 400 would serve all my needs. That would be my first choice. In addition to being less complex, which, for me, is a good thing, I also like the looks better, and when sitting on them, the 400 seems to fit me better.

However, I have this nagging feeling that, at my size, the Burgman 400 may be a bit small. I'd love it if any of you Burgman 400 owners can assure me otherwise.

Thanks, John

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I would say that given your stated riding needs the 400 will work just fine for you. It will have no problem carrying you and your camping gear at the speeds you say you ride and at higher speeds if need be. I'm your weight and my 400 has no problems carrying me around.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I bought my 2013 b400 last October. Since then I've racked up 4,700 miles, mostly solo. However, my wife and I have made several 200 mile days, including Interstate travel at 65-70 mph. No problems whatsoever. Our combined weight is 360 lbs, plus any gear on day trips. What's more interesting is that we live and ride at 5,000 to 7,500 ft elevation. And the really great thing is the overall fuel economy is 62.1 mpg on Fuelly! I was somewhat skeptical before buying, but no more. I really can't see the need for the 650 in my situation.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Yoda,

Spent some RV time in Elephant Butte, NM this winter. Beautiful country you have out there. Can't wait to get there with a scooter.

John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say that given your stated riding needs the 400 will work just fine for you. It will have no problem carrying you and your camping gear at the speeds you say you ride and at higher speeds if need be. I'm your weight and my 400 has no problems carrying me around.
Thanks Buffalo,

It's always good to hear from those who've "been there, done that."

John

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
I've had my '05-400 since June of '05.
Only made short trips the first few years.
Made trips from Indiana to Minnesota in
July of '12, then again in July of '13...
some miles on interstate when necessary,
but mostly on state roads. I usually ran
55/65 on those trips. No problem on a 400.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did you ever ride any other over the average scooter ? let's say, something as big as another 250 or something ? because the burgman 650 you're considering, is a whole different thing. The '400 will be more similar to eveverything else you did ride in the past.

The 650 is different. In order to take the most out of it you basically would need a degree in engineering.. On the 400 you just open the throttle and it goes. The transmission works by gravity like in any other scooter, from the piaggio 50 to the tmax 500 : the more it spins, the more it takes.. Instead on the 650 it's electronically driven to take advantage of the best ratio, no more no less than in a robotized gear, where the software decide for you depending on various factors, and believe me it's perfect, so by the throttle you can decide which gear to go, or if you're brave enough, you can lower your gear, gain speed and put it again in an upper ratio to relax....You could also switch manual in which you can switch 5 different gears plus one called overdrive not differently than in a car, by two "up/down" buttone. As if this wasn't complicated enough, you can also use a Power mode. In automatic it's always perfect for the engine longer life but until you tried and you were fascinated by the idea, go for the 400. In case you were wondering, yes, I got a 650.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds like the 400 should meet your needs.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Since you won't be racking up miles, I think you should spoil yourself with a 650.

The riding you plan to do is perfectly suited for the 650.

The big difference between the two are the smoothness of the 650.

The clutch engages at vere low rpm, and you just decide if you want to accelerate to the desired speed at 3.5k, 4k or 6k rpm, and the moment you reach the speed and gently turn back the throttle, you cruise on at the lowest possible rpm for that speed.

Power for coming out of a turn is always available in smooth doses, at the flick of the wrist.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you ever ride any other over the average scooter ? let's say, something as big as another 250 or something ? because the burgman 650 you're considering, is a whole different thing. The '400 will be more similar to eveverything else you did ride in the past.
For a number of years I rented an Aprilia Atlantic 200 in Greece.(Not as powerful, but the same size as the Burgmans) My wife and I had a business there and I became smitten with scooters. As far as "bigness" I think the Harley Low Rider (1200 cc's) would qualify as big -- obviously not in complexity.

John

·
Registered
137 Posts
Go with the 400, if you can. You will appreciate the 100 pound less weight. I am about 250 with a 34" inseam, and the scooter is comfortable. The 400 seat, to me, is much better than the 650 seat. The only advantage, in my opinion, having had both, is that the wind protection is much better on the 650. Of course I had a clearview large windshield on it. Coming from a golf course, doing 60 mph, I ran into a heavy downpour that lasted a few miles. I had three rain drops on my pants. My helmet and shoulders got wet, but the rest of me was pretty dry. I liked the 650, but like the 400 better.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think you could use either and be happy. Each have their attributes, but I would suggest searching around and seeing which you can find the best deal on. I like the smoothness of the 650 and the lighter weight of the 400, but I know that either would do what I want.

When I was looking, I found a better deal on a 650. I ended up buying it for about the same price as most of the 400's I looked at.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have owned both and am on my 2nd 650. The only reason I got another 650 was because I bought it from a friend at a very good price. I was happy with my 400 but didn't know it at the time and wanted something bigger and bought a couple of Goldwings. Now I'm back on scooters again and would be just as happy with a 400 also.

I've ridden 3000 miles on a 650 to Colorado and back from Texas and rode my 400 to Big Bend on a 2500 mile trip. My wife and I trailered our 400 to Colorado on vacation and had no problems climbing 10,000 ft. mountain passes and rode some of the coast highway in Southern California and the mountains in Sedona, Az. The 400 is very capable at doing everything you want to do and more.

The 650 to me is a very fast and powerful Maxiscooter capable at running a little faster than the 400 on the interstate. It is comparable to a Goldwing in it's power to weight ratio. Overtaking and passing cars on the 650 is awesome as I'm often surprised to look down and see 90 on the speedometer. The 400 was maxed out riding 2 up in the mountains in Colorado where the 650 could do it without straining. I like having a little extra reserve power in the 650. The 650 is about a hundred pounds heavier however coming off a 900 pound Goldwing the 600+ pound 650 is a flyweight to me. The 400 has a little more engine vibration at idle because it is a single cylinder compared to the parallel twin of the 650. It never bothered me though. The 400 sits a little lower and therefore has a lower COG for those who are vertically challenged. I find the 650 equally balanced as well. No bad choices here. Oh the 400 needs drive belt changed about 15k but a simple job for most. The 650 cvt belt will go 4-5 times that interval but is allot more expensive to replace. Anyway, some of my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
You can't go wrong. Either bike will suit your needs. Find your best deal in the best mechanical condition and get it. There is no downside for what you have described. Keep the rubber side down

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all,

You've confirmed my thoughts on the matter. Right now I'm keeping a list of bikes that, on paper, are just what I'm looking for. There are 4 400's and 4 650's. I believe I'd rather have a 400, however, as many have said, I can't go wrong with either, so just pick the best deal.

I'll prioritize a list and on the day my motorhome sells I'll start making offers. I'm sure I'll get one in no time.

Thanks again,

John

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have a very, very slight preference for the 400 as it is the better all around bike. I like the nimbleness and weight better, but boy, nothing brings a burgman smile to your face quicker than toasting a Harley off the line on a 650.

Either bike will do for you. Get the best deal and wear a full face helmet. Otherwise people are apt to speak of the crazy scooter guy with the permanent smile on his face. :D

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm 6'3" and about 245 and the 400 fits me just fine! Let us know which one you choose.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Personally I think the 400 will be laboring with 320 pounds on it . Will it work ? yeah but like I said it will be stressed IMO . With the 650 you won't even notice the extra weight . Here is the thing , used there isn't that much difference in price , so why would any one not get the 650 ? I have a 500cc T-max , with this one girl at the gym on the back who weighed 120 pounds the T-max was laboring . The same girl on the back of my 650 burg wasn't even noticeable . Together the girl and I weighed a little under 300 pounds .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
John, the 400 will do very nicely and in my view is preferable to the 650 for your type of use. The oil in the 400 engine will normally be at full working temperature after a 10 mile run even on a relatively cooler day. The 650 oil is often still warming on a cold day at 10 miles, especially on a back road slower ride meaning if you don't use it regularly for longer journeys, the oil contaminates will build up which is not so good for the engine. The 400 is perfect for your weight. It has power aplenty if you go for the 2007 and above engine. I own the 400z abs and ride it everyday, but I also ride a 650 too on a regular basis which I don't own. It too is good. I'm a big guy at 6'2" but I fit easily on both but I find the 400 more comfortable on longer journeys, even with a heavy passenger. I cover 380 mile day trips with absolute ease a motorway speeds (70mph) with a passenger. There is no shortage of power to do this and hills are not a problem. Of course, the 650 will do this even more easily but it's not like you have to work the 400 hard. Remember, the 400 thrives on revs. That's what it's designed to do and it is not stressed at high rpm. The 400 engine lasts and lasts without problems.

Good luck with your hunt for a bike and let us all know what you get.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dang, where do I sign on the dotted line? I'll take my 400 in Tangerine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts