Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Which Bike to Keep - Burgman 650 or Vstrom 650

11K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  Rustydust 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2006 the Vstrom 650 last year and enjoy it for the most part however I did have to upgrade to a Sargent seat to make it rideable for a decent length of time.

I used to own a 1981 Honda Silverwing which was probably the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Since that time I've been trying to find a bike that that provides nice comfort but is practical and fun to ride as well. That's how I ended up with the Vstrom. But I went to the motorcycle show recently I decided to give a used Bergman a try after sitting on one. I picked up an almost new 2008 executive for a good price.

I really enjoy the practicality of the of the bike and the sitting position however I am having a real problem with the seat comfort and to me if the seat isn't comfortable there's not much sense in riding the bike since you can't enjoy the ride.:( I haven't got the space for the money to keep both the bikes so now I'm trying to decide between one or the other and I'm going back-and-forth.

Does anyone know of a good solution for the comfort issue on the Burgman 650? Does anyone have any experience with the Corbin seat for instance? Are there any other aftermarket seats available for the Burgman 650 that others have had experience with? Any comments or suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Butt bumper extension and an Airhawk seat pad. You can ride all day in comfort and will only set you back $135 total; far less than a Corbin which I don't find very at all.

It gives good back support and an inch or two of legroom. The pad increased my ride time tremendously. It's adjustable and spreads out the load evenly on the seat. Just take a little getting used to.

This is the extension I use, but there are many others. http://host.jwcinc.net/2472/3brothersperformance/650br.html

#3 ·
Thanks. Is the butt bumper extension useful for someone only 5'8"? I don't really have any trouble with how far back I sit. My biggest issue is that the seat seems to push up in the centre rather than be a little concave. I tend to get numb butt in about a half hour or so. Does the Airhawk lift you up a lot? I only have a 30" inseam so don't want to lose much space there.

#4 · (Edited)
I only have a 29" inseam. The Airhawk is adjustable, you can raise or lower the height as you see fit. But most put just enough air in to have you "hover" above the actual seat. The idea is just spread out the load evenly on the supporting seat, while having it support your behind. The air-pockets are connected and will adjust to do this if you should shift your seating position as you ride.

The extensions just move the bumper up six inches or so and it can still be adjusted back or forth with the OEM hardware. The backrest I use can hold some weight, so you can put 10-20% of your weight on it, thus lessening the amount on your rear. Plus it puts you in a reclining position, very comfortable.

I can ride 6-7 hours, 350+ miles, and feel no numbness at all with this setup. I did 680 a weekend a ago and felt fine.

#5 ·
Myself and 3 of the folks I ride with all have Corbin seats on our 650s. We all find them more comfortable than the stock seats. That includes when going on multi day rides that total 2,000 to 3,000 miles. Whether you would find one comfortable I can't say. The biggest knock I hear about them from folks is they think the seat foam is to hard.

#6 ·
Right, and that wouldn't be so bad except that I find the suspension on the Burg to be quite harsh compared to my Vstrom already. Too bad a person can't try out seats as they are quite an investment. The overall support "looks" to be better. I just wish I could sit in one for a while to have a better idea.

#30 ·
That's very interesting. I bought a 12 Burgman 650, planning to sell my 09 V-Strom, but after 100 miles on the Burg, I'm rethinking it. Very rough ride. I thought it was just me but now I see a lot of discussion here on that very subject.

#7 ·
Thanks for that added info Liamjs. That helps. I am in Canada and I may be able to order one with a return policy. It may be worth checking out. I can see how it could help. I will certainly consider this. I really want to like the Burg but there are just a few things I am having trouble accepting, like the rough ride and the seat comfort.

#8 ·
Yup, the suspension is almost universally panned by everyone.

As is the seat... However this is not a burg thing. I've yet to meet a stock seat on ANY BIKE that I thought was comfortable. Conspiracy theories of the manufacturers and Corbin go WAY back to the 80s. It is incredulous that the people who put out these fine machines can somehow not figure out foam.

#9 · (Edited)
I found the Beadrider far more useful than the Airhawk as well as much cheaper - it feels like it should not work...feels hard...works the charm ride and ride....
Airhawk is finicky about the pressure you set and over priced in my view.

I have a Sargent seat on my KLR 650 and it was a big improvement
I thought I would want the Beadrider on the KLR but in fact I don't and got considerably better ride comfort here in Australia.

This rider found the same for the Burgman 650

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/17-aftermarket-accessories/7072-my-sargent-seat.html

Yelnats

put up where you are in Canada and maybe join up at GTAMotorcycle and spread the Burgman 650 grin.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ase-you-were-wondering-about-those-big-scoots

#10 ·
Yeah, I'm here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Maybe someone from around here has a Burg with a Corbin or some of the options mentioned by some of you. I'd love to have a closer look.

By the way, I didn't know Sargent made a seat for the Burgman 650. How do you like it? Is it available in NA? Thanks for everyone's input.

#28 ·
I'm in Calgary, Brentwood. We have 3brothers extensions for the backrest. They lift the butt pad and shift it back, giving really effective lumbar support. We ride all day long and don't suffer for it. Send me a PM with your phone number and we can meet. You can check it out and see for yourself.

Regards
Scott Fraser

#11 ·
[By the way, I didn't know Sargent made a seat for the Burgman 650. How do you like it? Is it available in NA? Thanks for everyone's input.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I'm new to this. Just went to the Sargent link and learned a bit more. :)

#22 ·
[By the way, I didn't know Sargent made a seat for the Burgman 650. How do you like it? Is it available in NA? Thanks for everyone's input.
Sorry, I'm new to this. Just went to the Sargent link and learned a bit more. :)[/QUOTE]

I too went to the Sargent Seats website and I don't see a seat for the Burgman 650 listed. Now they do have "custom" seats but that means I would have to take my seat off and ship it to them and wait for however long they are building a new seat on top of my seat pan and then wait for it to be shipped back. Plus I have no idea of how much money I would be spending to get this seat.

#12 ·
Hey MacDoc, thanks for the "big scoots..." link. That was a cool read and gave me more pause to think about keeping the Burg over the V. Now I'm really torn. If I can only solve that comfort issue...

#13 ·
How tall are you?
For comfort and twists and storage the Burgman wins.

For suspension, power and being able to go on dirt the Weestrom wins.
It sucks for storage unless you hang stuff off it.

They are both good machines.

If you are over 5' 11 it's say the Weestrom might be more suitable if you are not doing a lot of errands and commuting.

If you are in a mix of dirt roads and pavement the Weestrom is a very nice machine and will certainly out accelerate the Burgman 650 tho not by a lot and for sure more top end.

Rough pavement the SV is sweet....commuting the Burgman rules.

I'm sort of in the same position in Australian tho my range is wider.....ST1100 and KLR650.

Trying to find a middle ground which in the best of worlds would be a kitted out CB500x.

The Weestrom is a bit tall for my 30" inseam tho it can be lowered....I think it's too heavy for light off road....that's where the CB500x is unreal - it's so light.

I don't have a Sargent for the Burgman 650 I got lucky with the gold standard and found a Russell - Daylong for $650 shipped.

I did not know Sargent had a 650 seat either and if I did not have the Daylong I'd be considering it tho I still think a high backrest is critical.

That backrest and the Beadrider means very very long riding days. My hands and neck do me in before my butt gets tired.

#14 ·
Putting a Corbin seat on my 650 Burgman is, without a doubt, the single best thing I've done to the bike.

I have a 34" inseam and chose the Corbin "tall" seat.

I found the original ergonomics of the Burgman intolerable. Removing the seat bumper helped quite a bit, but the Corbin seat transformed it into the most comfortable bike I've ever experienced.

#18 ·
Thanks! I am hearing this now from a few of you. Does it feel okay even with the stiff suspension? If this would transform the bike, I would risk spending the extra money. I just wish there was a way to be more sure. With less padding, I would be more worried about the bumping around on rough roads.

#16 ·
So I am 5'9", 180 lbs 30" inseam and 56 yrs old. I've ridden since I was 16 - started out with a Honda 90 street bike and sold it after about a year or so for a new CB350 in around '75. I kept it for about a year and then sold it for a small car since I was now working full time and needed a proper way to get back and forth to work in the winter.

I didn't get back into riding until about 20 years ago when I bought a 78 CB750. I did quite a bit of work on it and then sold it a couple years later for an 81 Honda Silverwing. As I mentioned earlier, the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Problem is, I didn't realize most bikes were so uncomfortable now!

I rode that bike for about 14 years and finally decided to sell as there were too many things I felt needed replacing soon but I loved the shaft drive and the reliability of the bike. I must say, though, that after having a bike with fuel injection, I wouldn't go back to carburation. It is just too nice to start up and go.

From there I tried a Suzuki C50 but it was just not right for me. No wind protection, too bumpy and feet way too far forward. I sold that within a couple months and bought the 2006 Vstrom. I like that bike for the most part but still missed the creature comforts like the front dash storage, the comfortable seat, excellent wind protection and the easy natural sitting position. Plus, it soaked up bumps like a luxury automobile.

Anyway, while I was at the bike show here in Calgary early this year, sitting on the Burgman sparked my interest. It seemed to have a lot of what I was looking for. I purchased a 2008 with 600kms on it in January.

Here is what I like and don't like about the two bikes I have now.

Vstrom likes:

Suspension
Versatility (takes on pretty much any type of road. I still don't do gravel but it takes the bad roads really well)
Luggage capability (I have nice Givi side bags and a Givi top case. I usually only ride with the case but it's nice to have the options.)
Quick and strong power (although I'm not an aggressive rider but the power feels good)
Fuel capacity
Fairly easy to work on

Dislikes:

Chain maintenance
Height and weight of bike (I do have to be careful getting on and off, starting and stopping.)
Still not quite the sitting position I want.

Burgman likes:
Sitting position
Ease of riding (twist and go)
No shifting (yes and no - it's odd. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't. Will I forget how to ride a standard?)
Dash conveniences
Wind protection
Ease of moving it around with two feet on the ground. (I don't find it hard as I hear some do.)
Low centre of gravity
Nimbleness. (Once I got used to it, I could flick it faster and easier than my Vstrom.)
No chain!
Fun to jump on and go.
Under seat luggage space. (although I think I could still use a top case occasionally)
Foldable mirrors. (I know it's a bit gimmicky but it is great for me going in and out of the 5' wide shed I store it in.)

Dislikes:
Seat comfort (Feels like a rubber balloon under my parts and gives me numb butt after a half hour)
Suspension - bumps around like a mario cart on a rough road
Lack of shifting (I know - but sometimes I just miss the power after the next shift)
Un-cool factor (so many people ask me why I would buy a scooter. It's hard to convince them that it's a real motorcycle)

So there you have it. Sorry for the long post but it might help you understand where I am coming from in making this decision. I should probably sell one soon so I don't miss the spring buying enthusiasm around here but I still don't know which way to go.

Thanks for your comments. :)

#17 ·
On my Burgman I had my local auto upholsterer Victor, remove two inches of foam from the front seat and replace it with two inches of high density foam. This in essence made it a Corbin seat. I had a Corbin seat on my KLR and they compared very well together in the density value.
The true test on this is I rode my Burgman on a 330 mile test jaunt with out my back brace and found the seat to be comfortable and not "bucket in" under my hips nor did it bother my back.
On my V-Strom 1000 I did the same thing except I had Victor make the seat two inches wider and 1/2 inch taller which cut out the inner leg pain I was getting while riding all day on my trips. Again its the stiffness that aides in keep your posterior from hurting.
I would think the Beadriders would also aide in keeping you cool as it allows air to circulate under your behind and reducing the effect of " Monkey Butt"

Greg

#21 ·
Anyone here ever tried the Luimoto Gold Gel? I was watching a video on the installation and it looks interesting.

http://luimoto.com/?p=397
I had a gel pad installed inside my stock PC800 saddle many years ago. I am not sure if was a Luimoto but it was the same color and shape. Anyway, the help it gave was there, but honestly it wasn't all that much. Not to my butt anyway. But what was bad was that the first time that I had my bike sitting out in the sun for several hours that gel got so freaking hot that I could not sit on the seat. I actually bought a newspaper (Sunday edition!) to place between me and the seat. And mean that it stayed hot for a long time too.

I still have the pad but it is no longer in my PC seat. I enjoy rump roast but not when it's my rump that is being roasted!

#20 ·
The Corbin is sculpted and you sit "in" it instead of on it.

I don't feel any additional bumpiness from the seat.

I'll put it this way.

I like the 650 Burgman very much,...but I wouldn't still own it if it wasn't for the Corbin seat.

I've been thinking seriously about buying one of the new 650 Burgmans,..but I have to wait until Corbin starts making seats for it.

#23 ·
That' the same thing with Daylong
Find another stock seat off a wreck

#27 · (Edited)
So, have any of you tried Cary's (Burgman Seats) Puffy Seat? Can anyone compare them to the Corbin? I am finally in the market for a new seat and am looking to those two. I owned a Corbin on my PC800 and loved it. Just now sure about one now in light of Corbin's history of quality control problems I have been hearing about on the internet.

Oh, and to the OP. Keep both bikes. Looks as if I am going to be keeping both of mine as it seems that no one wants to pay what I am asking for my Wee-Strom and I will keep it before I give it away.

#32 ·
I have a 650 Strom as well. I ride a 400 Burg and rode many miles on a 650 Burg. Don't buy all the jibberish that with just x,y,z it will transform the bike and you can ride all day. The 650 Burg suspension is ok on good roads and poor on poor roads. You ride all smooth roads all the time? Few do. 2 things: Don't worry about stopping and getting off bike when your butt hurts. Crazy to do otherwise and you are not running a race. Also, the more you ride it the more accustomed your butt will be and you can ride further....but it is not a pillow. Air Hawks to me feel like water beds and I don't care for that on a m/c but many others do. Corbin seats on an motorcycle seem to start out hard and take a while to break in.

#33 ·
As to the harsh ride on the Burgman. Yes, on bad pavement the ride is harsh but I have grown used to it. Don't really even notice it any more. The ride is no more harsh than another bike I had set up with racing suspension. One big difference was shock rebound, it just isn't there on the Burgman which is a big difference from my bike that had the racing suspension. But, as is said, you can get used to about anything. For those who just can't adjust to it there are a couple of threads here on BurgmanUSA about fitting better shocks to the rear and setting the front tubes up to be better.

Doug from Kentucky

#34 · (Edited)
I'm going to pop back in here and make a few comments since I started the discussion.

So, in the end, I decided to sell my Vstrom and go with the Burgman. I want to give it a good year and I can always buy another used Vstrom if I think I want that after riding my Burg for a season.

I'm not sure if it's because the frost heaves have finally subsided or the shocks have broken in a bit but the bike does seem to ride a bit better now. It's not like my old butter like ride 81 Silverwing 500 but it doesn't seem too much worse than my Vstrom.

Regarding the seat, I actually took off the seat, removed the staples from the front section of the cover, took out the front foam and carefully ground out about a 2" slight valley or trough from about 2" from the back of the foam to near the front. I carved a slight hollow out down the centre to about a depth of about 1/4 inch at its deepest point tapering it off about an inch or so near the front. I actually used my portable 4" grinder and was super careful. I then used 80 grit sandpaper and gently and patiently sanded away any minor edges. When I was done, I had a very nice 1 1/2 - 2" wide hollow down the centre, as I say, from about 2" from the back to about an inch or so from the front.

I then used my air stapler (uses almost the very same staples I took out) and carefully re-assembled the cover in exactly the same position as before I removed it. When I was done, you would never know there was a relief in the centre from looking at it. But when sliding my hand across the seat, you could feel the indentation down the center.

For some reason, this made a world of difference for me as far as comfort is concerned.

I wouldn't recommend this to just anyone to try but I am very careful at what I do and it ended up just great for me.

I have been enjoying the Burgman and for the type of riding I do, it really is a great bike - plenty of power, really easy to manoeuvre and very practical for around town or on long trips. (I've already put on more kilometers on the Burg than I did all season last year on the Vstrom.) It's not quite as exciting to ride but it is fun and I think I made the right choice for me anyway. :)

Thanks for everyone's comments.

#36 ·
I rode my Burgman all summer and into the fall. I put over 7000 km on it, the most I've ridden a bike ever! I can honestly say I love this thing and have no intentions of getting a different bike. I have no regrets with keeping the Burgman. I'm anxiously waiting for spring now so I can get out and ride again. I definitely made the right decision - for me anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.