Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting back into cycling after an 12 yr absence. I was looking at a Vstar 1100 early on.

But then my wife starting showing interest in the bike as a way to and from work, on an nice day. Or an quick run up to the store, or for the two of us just to go out and cruise for an few hours.

With whatever bike, I buy she will go thru the MSCourse(heck, I may too).

I think 80% usage will be solo, 65% me, 35% her,80% will be less than 10 mile trips, 20% will be 15-80 mile trips, 2 up. Yearly usage, I cant see would be over 1500 miles annually. This will be an nice weather riding only ride , unless caught by surprise in a storm.

I'm interested in a scooter because my lovely wife cant drive an manual :) So adding the difficulty of riding an regular bike, is just asking for trouble.

I'm down to an 03 Silverwing or an 03 650. I like both, cost is similar. look of the 650 is an little nicer to us. But the 650 seems heavier than the listed 50 lbs difference. Again its not an concern to me, but I'm thinking of my wife.

I also liked the linked brakes on the SW. The computer controlled tranny, the extra toys, lcd screen on the 650 I think may become problems long term.... But again who knows

What say you, I'm very torn on this decision. Usually one unit always stands out and these two seem so close. For me the 650 seems more comfortable sitting on it, my wife agrees... which seems weird because I think its taller in the saddle than the SW.

BTW I'm 6'0" 180 and she's 5'4" 135lbs

Any and all advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Buy whichever has a closer and more competent service department/dealership. If the same, get whichever they give you the best price on. If the same, get whichever you like the most and feel the most comfortable on. If the same, get the burgman, since we're biased a bit toward it.

I put service department down first, since in my experience having no one to service and repair your scooter will kill it faster than small differences in it's design.

Hope that helped.

Dave B.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If your wife will be riding it solo on occasion, you might consider the 400 Burgman for its lower 27.5" seat height. It still has enough oomph to carry 2-up for most tooling around. On the interstate at 80 it will be working hard. But if you're going to stick with 2-lane roads for the most part, the 400 can handle that just fine with 2 people. It still has the same amount of storage space as the 650. And you'll save some cash, too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the thoughts.

Dealership support would be about the same, as the SW I might be buying is private party. The 650 would be from an dealer 50 miles away.

The SW does have a 3yr extd warranty remaining on it thou.

Decisions...Decisions

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Staci0, since you are not going to riding a lot, either would be OK. I would rank them first 650, 400, SW.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Staci just asked me an question that I couldnt answer, as Ive never been on an scoot myself.

When your on a MC in heavy traffic, your able to stay in low gear and if need be play with the clutch to maintain low speed and an upright vertical position.

However on a scoot, how does that work, if the clutchs dont engage till XXX rpm and they cut out again at 6mph. I read that somewhere I think.

Is the bike stable at very low speed, again is my wife going to beable to keep it upright in heavy bumper to bumper traffic. Or is it going to be weeble wobble effect

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
To keep the CVT engaged, you can keep on the throttle a little bit to keep the RPMs up and use the brake to maintain a slow speed. On the 400 I twist the throttle just enough to engage the CVT and keep me moving and then let off and coast. With a little practice, you can keep the bike at a slow walking pace.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Go with the warrenty...

Just my two cents... I'm biased for the Burgy, but with the warranty on the SW I would go with that - especially if buying a used machine.

p.s. It's okay, if you get the SW, we will still like ya :p

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
From what I read of your post, both the 650 and SW are more then you need, "O" I know, in our culture "bigger is better" but it's also heaver, more expense to buy, cost more on upkeep, and harder to "push" around.
By the way I would take the MSF course if I were you.
If for no other reason so your wife can't say "but the instructor said do it this way" :D
That's just my opinion, and it's worth no more then you paid for it.
Bottom line no matter what your riding if it's two wheels it's right. :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I'd suggest getting a used Burgman 400 first and seeing how much the wife will actually be riding it by herself. You might be in for a shock and her really start racking up some miles (and not letting you ride). If she does, you can then add another bike to your stable so you can both enjoy being out riding at the same time. :wink:

·
Registered
52 Posts
StaciO said:
I'm down to an 03 Silverwing or an 03 650. I like both, cost is similar. look of the 650 is an little nicer to us. But the 650 seems heavier than the listed 50 lbs difference. Again its not an concern to me, but I'm thinking of my wife.

BTW I'm 6'0" 180 and she's 5'4" 135lbs

Any and all advice would be appreciated
If your thinking of the wife you really shouldn't overlook the 400 burgman.
You say she's 5'4" the seat height on the 400 is 2" lower than the 650 burgman or the SW and will be much easier for someone of her size and weight to handle and the 400 will basically do everything the 650 will
from what you say you will be using it for. :wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry- I'm disgressing from your original question with some un-asked for advice-

It's free- take it for what it's worth.

There are exceptions to every rule but they are rare- IF your wife has no experinece driving (which I'm assuming from your post), please show your love by starting on a 400 and saving the 'big scoot' for later.

The 400 will be enough scoot for everything you've described.

The 400 will be enough scoot for you to re-gain your driving skills.

The 400 will actually be MORE scoot than your wife needs to learn on- BUT she'll handle it much, much better than a 650 or a S'wing.

I'm taller, longer-legged, and heavier than your wife- I started on a Silverwing with no experience and a husband that spent hours and hours and hours working with me- and I took MSF class and passed well-

I traded it off after 3000 miles of struggling- and thankfully before I killed myself on it. The Silverwing and the Burgman 650 are NOT suitable beginner bikes for MOST people.

Could I handle a S'wing or a Burg 650 now? Yeah, I imagine so. I ride a Honda Aero 750 at this point. Am I looking for one? Nope, I'm looking at the 400's-- because I'll handle it BETTER. Sometimes that's life and death out there on the road.

Off my soap box- good luck whichever you do and best to both of you!

x_cuesme

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nancy and others thank you for your advice,

I did take out both Burgmans today and came away as confused :)

Both bikes are easy to handle for me, the 400 would be easier for thou , no doubt. But I was concerned how lite in the wind the bike felt thou at highway speed.

I did not notice this on the 650, but the 400 has linked brakes, the 650 does not. I think my wife would be helped by that feature. Also I think the 400 would be more comfortable for in town driving, which is what most of it would be. The 650 in my mind is an mini goldwing

However that lite feeling of the bike did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling at 70mph.

Any thoughts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well-

A Burg 400 (I have not driven one- YET!) can't feel 'lighter' at 70mph than a Reflex does- and I safely drove my Reflex at 75mph (not often, I admit!), so I have to think you'll be okay on a Burg400.

There are trade-offs with smaller bikes- they are lighter, they usually get pushed a bit more in wind- but they are so much easier for a newbie to handle than they're large counter-parts. And the linked brakes are a blessing for a brand new driver-

What will probably be a wonderful solution for your current situation is a used Burg 400 if you can find one- in good shape- that your wife can learn on and keep. If she doesn't like driving, you can always trade it in on the 650- which will be more to your liking- or buy the 650 for yourself if she does love riding.

Because if she does, you WILL need two scoots- unless you like riding on the back! :shock:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
StaciO said:
But I was concerned how lite in the wind the bike felt thou at highway speed. <snip> Any thoughts
Yep. Try the 400 again and tighten up the preload on the shock. It made a big difference on my 400 at higher speeds. The 400 does get moved around a bit in wind and it threw me when I first took it out at higher speeds. See : http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1086 I quickly got used to it and don't think twice about going 70 (except in a 50 MPH zone). :roll:

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
StaciO,
Welcome to The Burgman Forum, I would get the 650. Another thing, your name. I live in East Texas and we have a Staci O, here in Tyler. I haven't seen where your from and wondered if you were that person.
The Staci O, I know is 26 to 28 years old. Again, I'll be watching for you.
Happy trails
Poppy

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I would also lean you towards the 400. I am quite happy with mine. Most of the freeway crosswinds (which you said you would hardly be doing any of compared to in-town riding) affects your upper body. There have been several threads around these forums about that and Bill pointed out one of them. There is a trade off of course. Lighter and more manuveurable in town will usually be a bit more susceptable to wind from trucks and buffeting. I rode my 400 all the way back to Texas from southern Florida and I would not recommend the 400 for your use if i didn't think it was safe. But it does take getting used to. Any 2 wheeler is susceptable tho I think. I've seen (as I've read others say also) Harley's be blown around pretty good from passing trucks and crosswinds, etc.
Another issue you did not mention is the terrain you will be riding in. If you will be climbing grades and lots of steep hills the 400 may not be a great choice for 2-up. If you will be on mostly flatlands or rolling hills I stand by the idea that the 400 is the right choice given what you have written. MPG, ease of use, in-town, over-all cost, etc.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with most everyone that from what you have stated the 400 would be just fine. The scoot is heavy enough for your wife to move it around esp. if you are going to back it into the garage. I ride the B400 everyday to work at 80 and I do not have a problem with performance. This scoot handles a whole lot better than my Savage ever did in the wind. If it gets too windy on the interstate I can pull off and go slower on the back roads.

The only reason I considered the 650 was ego. After I got passed that the 400 for me is practically perfect.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Now that you've added a third bike into the mix, the B400, you may want to consider other things not mentioned before. Like Insurance. I have no idea what the engine sizes are for the '03 model for any of these bikes, but for the '05 model year, the Swing is 583 cc, the B650 is 638 cc, and I'm not sure for the B400 (383 cc?).

Motorcycle insurance goes up once the cc goes past 600, at least in Alabama, but I would assume that it's the same in most places.

However, that may not bother you any, either. Didn't bother me.

As for performance, I think any of these bikes will work pretty well for you with the exception that you will have more power left on the swing and 650 than on the 400 when riding two-up on the highways.

Joe

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
january14 said:
I'm not sure for the B400 (383 cc?).
Close guess Joe. It's 385cc. When I was checking insurance prices, they wanted double the amount to insure a Burgman 650 over the 400.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts