Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used a "Battery Tender Jr" for several years with a quick connect/disconnect pigtail which has worked well to preserve my battery on my Scooters. However, for the Bergman AN400, which seems to be the best? Harbor Freight has the Battery Float which I use on my truck for extended periods, there is a Battery Tender and of course the Battery Tender Jr. What exactly is the difference in all these???

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
From what I have read - they are pretty much all the same..........!!! BUT - I would not leave any battery on a standard charger any longer than to bring it to a full charge! The Battery Tender and Battery Tender Jr. will bring a battery to full charge and then electronically switch to a different mode called "FLOAT" where it just maintains it at full charge.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you- that is a good explanation. I do wonder the difference that the Battery Tender vs. Battery Tender Jr is. I will Google it to see what the manufacturer says.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You were correct- from manufacturer-
Short Description
The Battery Tender® Junior is much more than a trickle charger. It has a brain. It's lightweight, compact, and fully automatic; very easy to use, especially in small spaces. It will keep your battery fully charged so that it is ready to go when you are!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Myvespa said:
You were correct- from manufacturer-
Short Description
The Battery Tender® Junior is much more than a trickle charger. It has a brain. It's lightweight, compact, and fully automatic; very easy to use, especially in small spaces. It will keep your battery fully charged so that it is ready to go when you are!
The only think "bad" about any of the Battery Tenders.........is that they will NOT reacharge a totally dead battery.!!! I have both a Battery Tender and a Schumacher triple function which I bought on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-100 ... f_pe_p_t_2

1) Will recharge a totally dead battery

2) acts as a "Battery Tender"

3) 100 amp jumper battery

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
thepope said:
I understand that a battery tender takes a battery up to 80% and it does not cause caustic fumes.
NOPE.........!!!!!!! A Battery Tender charges the battery to 100%......AND.........does not produce caustic fumes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've used Battery Tender Jrs for years on lead-acid batteries under 15 amp-hours (motorcycle, ATV etc) and have found that leaving these tenders connected for extended periods (eg. over a winter) will have an effect on the electrolyte level in the battery. I have had some batteries lose as much as 1/3 of their electrolyte on 4 months. The electrolyte must be monitored during storage.

It may be important to some that the "Battery Tender PLUS" (as opposed to the regular "Battery Tender") was designed specifically for use with AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries which have different charging requirements than other battery types.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've used a battery tender plus on my goldwing for years and it kept the battery in great shape for 4years when I picked up my new burgman I picked up a new tender plus (gave the old one to the guy who brought the wing) 40 bucks is a great deal to keep a battery through the winter months without taking the battery out.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have 2 bike, 2 atv, 1 lawn mower, and 1 snowmobile battery I keep maintained with a Battery Tender JR, I just rotate about once a week. My oldest battery is from a 2005 ATV, and it turns over like it's brand new. No question in my mind they work! :thumbup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been using Ctek for years (cars and motorbikes). I used 5 of them for a 60 V electrical scooter.
It will not charge a complety flat battery, but connect another battery in paralell and it will start charging.
It can be connected to battery through out the winter.
http://smartercharger.com/

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Any of them will do the job. Even a large charger with trickle mode. I tend to by trickle chargers than can handle all my different batteries. A junior unit is not designed for larger batteries. A float charger is just that...just keeps it floating at charge. I have several 1.5 amp (max) chargers that do a great job of trickle charging. In my book, float and trickle do pretty much the same thing.

Myvespa said:
I have used a "Battery Tender Jr" for several years with a quick connect/disconnect pigtail which has worked well to preserve my battery on my Scooters. However, for the Bergman AN400, which seems to be the best? Harbor Freight has the Battery Float which I use on my truck for extended periods, there is a Battery Tender and of course the Battery Tender Jr. What exactly is the difference in all these???

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
and as noted, don't just hook t up and leave it sit all winter. I am wintering my Burgman now, but will periodically attach the charger and start and run the bike over the winter time it sits in the barn. I expect to ride it some as well, as I am prepared for cold weather. And getting it out and riding will do it, and me, good. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've had a couple of Battery Tender jrs. for years. I connect them to the batteries on my bikes about once a month and the light turns green indicating a full charge overnight. I just replaced the OEM battery in my BMW 03 R1200CLC last week and the battery in my 86 R80RT was put in it in 1998 or 1999 and it still works fine (Westco 30 amp). I left another tender on my antique car battey all winter a few years ago and it was dead in the spring.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Yea I have one of those subatomic Harbor Freight tenders....small I suppose for smaller batteries. I have two 1.5 amp chargers with tender/trickle mode simply because they can charge or trickle charge higher capacity batteries with no issues. I think you can get them from $15 on up to $30 or so.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I plug the charger into the mains with one of those timer switches set to
come on for a hour every day works for me.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I leave my Battery Tender connected all winter long to my 2006 650. I bought my 06 in May of 07. I have never had a problem with electrolyte level and I have not had to change the OEM battery yet. This same Battery Tender was used on my previous '95 BMW R100RT for 4 years and before that on a '79 R100RT with no ill effects.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts