Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a backrest for my 07 Burgman 650. Would like to find one that is comfortable for the driver, doesn't make to difficult for a passenger to get on and off, and doesn't take away to much of the passenger area. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Utopia makes a great backrest. Styled and colored to fit your seat too. It is adjustable for up and down and front to back. They fold forward to make it easier for your passenger to get on and they have a quick connect/disconnect model that you can pull a pin and just take it off should you wish.

Sure is nice to be able to lean back and enjoy the ride. To me, it makes all the difference in a comfy ride and a super comfy ride.

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
The best one is the one you find comfortable and find affordable. Both those criteria vary from person to person.

There are a number of kits you can buy to convert your current buttstop into a backrest. You can make your one conversion piece to do the same thing. You can have someone modify the buttstop to change it's shape and make it taller. There is the Utopia Rustydust mentioned. There are a couple of different people that build backrest from car headrest.

All work to one degree or another and each has their own advocates. As far as I know the Utopia is the only one that will fold down to make it easier for the passenger to mount the bike. It is also probably the most expensive.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
There is a very good reason the Utopia is the most expensive , simply put IMO it is hands down the best . I love mine and wouldn't want to ride on the stock seat without it . I've tried the butt rest thing , the problem with it is you have to sit perfectly in the same spot all the time or the thing is digging in your back . A guy I know came to my house recently out of the blue to buy my extra 650 burg , he offered me a pretty good price so I sold it to him . While he was here he sat on my 650 with the Utopia on it . He sat back and said "Oh man is that sweet , where did you get this ?" He bought the bike and ordered a Utopia , once he tried it the price didn't matter . That's my 2 cents .

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
I've tried the butt rest thing , the problem with it is you have to sit perfectly in the same spot all the time or the thing is digging in your back .

TheReaper!
That's why when I decided to convert the buttrest on 400 I went the build my own conversion bracket route. I could custom fit it for height and angle to work for me. I have no problems with having to sit in one position because it fits where my back thinks it should be. On top of that it cost me less than $20 to make it.

The Utopia's are nice. I have a friend that has one and I have ridden his bike. In fact when he changed his stock seat to a Corbin seat I helped him modify the Utopia so that he could use it with the Corbin seat. On the Corbin seat it is as comfortable as my Corbin backrest. Of course we had to cut off the bottom of the Utopia mount and weld on a post that would fit in the Corbin backrest mount to make it work.

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
Click on the "My Gallery" link in my signature. Look for the album titled "Little Blue, my 400S". Open it and you can find pictures not only of the conversion mounted on the bike but the parts I made to accomplish the conversion.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Back rest

Utopia makes a great backrest. Styled and colored to fit your seat too. It is adjustable for up and down and front to back. They fold forward to make it easier for your passenger to get on and they have a quick connect/disconnect model that you can pull a pin and just take it off should you wish.

Sure is nice to be able to lean back and enjoy the ride. To me, it makes all the difference in a comfy ride and a super comfy ride.
+1 Really good choice!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I got to agree with some of the others on the Utopia. Sturdy, adjustable, foldable and with decent sized accessory pouch it is hard to beat. Along with an Airhawk cushion I can ride in comfort for a lot more miles and the cost for both is still much cheaper then most custom seats on the market. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts