Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it took me the better part of the day but I changed all the fluids and installed the new style stopper bolt. Previous owner told me he had just changed oil with Valvoline but I wanted synthetic in the engine, transmission and final drive. The old fluids didn't look bad at all but now I know for sure that all are synthetic (Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 engine and tranny). It was not difficult, just time consuming for my 1st time, took my time, referred to videos etc. But I have to say my 67 year old butt is tired.

FYI to those that say the synthetic fluids seem to have quieted their 650 down, I barely can tell any difference. Mine is especially noisy at idle but most here seem to say it's the nature of the 650. My idle speed was low at 1000 rpm so I did set it up to 1200 rpm. I wish I was in the "whisper quiet" group but it is what it is.

Thanks for this forum and all the years of experience and tips one is able to find here.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Don't forget that you still have almost a litre of the old Valvoline oil still floating around in the engine. During an oil change it is impossible to remove all the old oil - that is only achieved with a complete engine dismantle and rebuild.

More importantly though, the majority of the idle noise comes from the coupling between the engine and the CVT - this coupling is external to the engine and does not run in oil. As a result, changing the oil makes no difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't forget that you still have almost a litre of the old Valvoline oil still floating around in the engine. During an oil change it is impossible to remove all the old oil - that is only achieved with a complete engine dismantle and rebuild.
I didn't know that. So no harm in mixing synthetic with dino oil?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Noise while at idle still there.

Well it took me the better part of the day but I changed all the fluids and installed the new style stopper bolt. Previous owner told me he had just changed oil with Valvoline but I wanted synthetic in the engine, transmission and final drive. The old fluids didn't look bad at all but now I know for sure that all are synthetic (Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 engine and tranny). It was not difficult, just time consuming for my 1st time, took my time, referred to videos etc. But I have to say my 67 year old butt is tired.

FYI to those that say the synthetic fluids seem to have quieted their 650 down, I barely can tell any difference. Mine is especially noisy at idle but most here seem to say it's the nature of the 650. My idle speed was low at 1000 rpm so I did set it up to 1200 rpm. I wish I was in the "whisper quiet" group but it is what it is.

Thanks for this forum and all the years of experience and tips one is able to find here.
Well after changing all fluids and driving a few hundred miles I have to say the 650AN at idle is no quieter at all. As before, idle is extremely quiet upon first start up of the day but after warm up the noise (probably from the coupling between the engine and the CVT as mentioned) is still there. Coming from a Goldwing and a Silverwing I find the noise quite annoying. Perhaps the noise is not as pronounced as earlier models, I would still classify similar to a 'dieseling' sound. Once off idle I find the power, size and handling very enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
If you don't like the "diesel" noise then buy and install the Polish adapter.
He signature says he has an 05 and the Polish adapter works only on 03 and 04 models.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts