Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we had a post months ago about this topic, but thought i'd re-open it to all the new members that have joined.

My ideal trip: Glacier park, Montana and up into Canada, then to Alaska. Skip Yellowstone. Been there, done that - too many tourists and really not that impressive - once you've seen one geyser/mudpot/small elk, you've seen them all.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I get a kick out of going anywhere I haven't been before. Even Kansas! :lol: I do a bit of that each year.

Ideally, I like mountain roads with good pavement, and no motorhomes or old farts in Buicks bogging me down. Disclaimer: I am fast approaching "old fart" status myself, but I'll hopefully never buy a Buick. :lol:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'd like to do Vermont to Florida in the fall.

Janine :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd love to travel throughout the UK, then across the channel to the Benelux region.

·
Registered
550 Posts
My dream is to take a tour up the eastern seaboard, I'd like to see Boston and Philadelphia etc, then end up in Washington D.C. I'd like to see all the famous sites from our country's early history. The only time I've ever been east of Louisiana was when I went to Disney World.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Dave,

Get an AirHawk seat pillow. Your butt will thank you.

Janine :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Next big trip

Over the last 40 or so years of riding, we have been in all 48 contiguous states at least once, including all the state capitals, as well as much of Canada. I am now hatching a plan to do a single trip to all 48 via scooter. I pitched the idea to Suzuki as a promotion for scootering, in particular, the 650 Burgman, but was met with indifference. I am now working on something similar with other brands.
This is nothing new, as there are many such documented rides/drives, including a 48-state and 48-plus listed on the Iron Butt site, with a variety of variations. Depending on whose scooter I end up riding, I will probably build in a series of stops at dealerships around the country, as well as media releases and website postings. I have not yet decided on whether to ride solo or two-up. The ride will be predicated on enjoying the country in comfort and not on speed. I hope it will also encourage the geezer crowd, of which I am certainly a member, to continue to pursue dreams and challege themselves rather than easing into a sedentary retirement and lifestyle.
At this point, I am targeting June or July, 2006 for the "assault", though I will be somewhat leisurely about the pace.
(The IBA posted record for the 48-state ride, by the way, is 5 days, 12 hours, 42 minutes.)
At the very least, the planning will occupy any potential lulls in my mental activity during the coming winter.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I have every intention of taking a road trip either late next spring or early next summer to Deals Gap. I hope to get my girlfriend to take her Silverwing and my son to take his, as yet, unpurchased Cycle. He wants a crotch rocket, so it should be fun to watch him trying to pack the stuff he wants to carry in a book bag. :lol:

However, I'm going to have to spend some good time in the saddle of the burg to be able to do that. The burg is certainly capable of it, but I seriously question if my butt is. :oops:

Here's my plan... I don't want to be the fastest through the tail. I want to be the slowest, non-stop rider to ever do the tail. At least that's my plan and even if I don't have the slowest speed, it will be fun and I hope reasonably safe.

I think I will need to plan some shorter trips in the meantime, to help me get my body ready for the longer trips. I think I'd like to try the backroads to Anniston. Nothing in Anniston, just a trip would be nice.

Joe

·
Registered
329 Posts
Deals Gap

Re: being slowest
Be sure that you do not create a hazard by making yourself into a moving chicane. Obeying the posted limits will be safest for everyone. The local gendarmarie have enough trouble dealing with the traffic and Ricky Racer wannabe types who show up there to put them into the mood to deal sternly with anthing that they may consider to be unsafe operation or behavior.
I used to live near there 20 years ago and road the area frequently. It is definitely worth the time to go, though there is much more than just the Dragon to enjoy.

·
Registered
329 Posts
48-state ride

Thanks, 4D for the thoughts. I am and will remain open to suggestions and research on the best method from you or anyone else on or off this forum. I probably will be starting from Eastern Ohio or Wheeling, West Virginia in early/mid June. Weather and prevailing winds will play into the route selection, as well. Although I am not interested in a speed record, I do not intend to let my meat loaf, either.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Why would I want to go anywhere ? When I'm where everybody wants to be, Florida.
On a more serious note though, I would like to tour up to New England & especially Maine, & see some cousins in Vermont & Rhode Island. From what I have heard it is jaw dropping beauty.

Butch

·
Registered
848 Posts
I would like to go across Canada from Vancouver Island to Newfoundland, do a diagonal cut across the US towards Texas, New Mexico and Arizona then northwards back home. Now here's the catch - I want to do it on a small scooter like the Vespa GT200 towing something like a PAV trailer or at the biggest a Burgman 400, hmmmm maybe a Morphous. I've heard far too many people tell me it shouldn't be done on something so small. I'm going to find out if they are right or wrong in '07. Now, I've got to get to work on that time AND money thing......

·
Registered
296 Posts
Come September when all the kids are back in school I think that I will do a tour and some photography down highway 101 & 1 starting at Port Angeles WA to Big Sur CA. I have done the trip a couple of dozen times in the cage but never on a motorcycle. The weather is usually great on the west coast in September with minimal traffic so it could be a great trip. :)

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Spring/ Summer 06, Start south east Texas coast and follow the coast across to Florida, stay on the gulf coast to Key West. Go north on the east coast, all beach roads if possible all the way to Prince Edward's Island. Don't take any short cuts, visit all the islands on the east coast, Geckjel Island in Georgia, Jersey Shore, Long Island, Cape Cod, NH, Maine coast to PEI. Eat lobester for a week. Return to Maine on the boat, stay two to three weeks in New England. Return trip will depend on time, money and weather.
Happy trails
Poppy

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've been known to be a bit crazy (read: extreme) and so far I can't find anyone to do MY ideal trip: Starting in Southern California, hop onto the Pan American Highway (more of a term rather than a real highway) and take it through Mexico and beyond into Central America. The furthest that you can go would be Panama. At that point you'd have to either freighter the bike past Columbia's Darien National Forest and then continue on down through South America or turn around and head back. That's something I'd really like to do!! And yes, I've seen "Motorcycle Diaries"!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Anywhere that will take me far away from where I live :D

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sedona and Flagstaff

We got some torrential rainstorms here in Phoenix last night and for the first time in many many weeks, our high will be below 100 degrees. Rain is pouring down the dry creekbeds, and I would really like to take a ride to the north and up to Sedona and Flagstaff to see some green and smell some rain. The Twisties between Sedona and Flagstaff would be awesome....

Someday soon. Very soon hopefully. New baby at home makes it difficult to get away...!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts