Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to tap into the tail and brake light wires. I'd like to tap in someplace other than at the tail light sockets at the back. Where is a good spot for this tap?

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Those wires run up the left side of the frame to a plug that is behind where the 40 AMP fuse is located. You could tap in there but you will have to remove the left rear quarter panel to gain access. The wire from that plug disappears into the wiring harness at that point so the next available place would up at the fuse panel.

From an ease of access standpoint the best place is at the taillights.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I removed the Givi mounting plate and then removed the top section of the rear panel.
It is very easy to tap into wires below the light sockets.
Mine had crimp connections where they attached wires together originally.
If you have a set of allen head 3/8" metric sockets and a ratchet it is a breeze to remove the Givi plate.

·
Registered
590 Posts
When I installed my Admore run/turn/brake LED's in the Givi top case, I tapped into the wiring below the rear centre frame cover using Positap connectors.

My '09 wire color codes are ...

Ground: Black with White Stripe
Left Turn Signal: Black
Right Turn Signal: Green
Brake Light: White with Black Stripe
Running Lights: Grey

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
When I installed my Admore run/turn/brake LED's in the Givi top case, I tapped into the wiring below the rear centre frame cover using Positap connectors.

Thanks for the color code breakout Jim. I was putting off hooking up my lights on my top box. Now I just have to figure out if I have any positaps left in my toolbox.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I agree 100% on using positaps. Positaps just pierce the wire without cutting any of the strands. The older kind of splicing things that you squeeze with plyers can and will cut some of the strands which will lower the amps the wire safely carry.

·
Registered
220 Posts
There is a company that I have used over the years for my wiring connection and wiring harness. It is Eastern Beaver http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html a fellow rider living out of Japan and building electrical components for motorcycles. I have purchased several different wiring harness setup for my V-Strom 650 from him and all is top quality stuff. He is out of Japan, but the service is quick and very reasonable shipping rates. I think by looking at the V-Strom wiring harness at the rear taillight the plugs are the same as the 650 Burgman. I would give EB a e-mail about what you want, he might can help with a plug in wiring harness that just requires undoing the factory plug and plugging his harness between the two. I also have the harness that plugs into the tail lamp wiring harness that power my Blue Sea fuse box for all my extra accessories. Due note this Blue Sea fuse box has a direct 12V hookup to the battery, the tail lamp wire just activates a relay that turn the 12V power on a off with the switch key. This way your accessories are key activated and when you turn off the key all is off, no worry about running down the battery. I know this is probably a lot more then most of you want, but I tour a lot on a dual sport bike and we hookup our bikes this way because of all the accessories that we could be running at one time, GPS, heated gloves, heated grips, heated clothes, heated seat, extra lighting, etc. I see many of you tour on your Burgman's so this works no different then a motorcycle. Here is the Blue Sea unit I use, these are marine units, so they work great for motorcycles, http://www.wholesalemarine.com/blue...circuit.html?gclid=CPDhn5XqvroCFcnm7AodYB0Afg

John

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
A gentleman in USA manufactures fuse box call FUZEBLOCK FZ-1, this extremely nice product, his web site very very informative full of interesting useful info. all 6 circuit can be use switch or unswitch or combination, only $84.00

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
There is a company that I have used over the years for my wiring connection and wiring harness. It is Eastern Beaver http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html a fellow rider living out of Japan and building electrical components for motorcycles. I have purchased several different wiring harness setup for my V-Strom 650 from him and all is top quality stuff. He is out of Japan, but the service is quick and very reasonable shipping rates. I think by looking at the V-Strom wiring harness at the rear taillight the plugs are the same as the 650 Burgman. I would give EB a e-mail about what you want, he might can help with a plug in wiring harness that just requires undoing the factory plug and plugging his harness between the two. I also have the harness that plugs into the tail lamp wiring harness that power my Blue Sea fuse box for all my extra accessories. Due note this Blue Sea fuse box has a direct 12V hookup to the battery, the tail lamp wire just activates a relay that turn the 12V power on a off with the switch key. This way your accessories are key activated and when you turn off the key all is off, no worry about running down the battery. I know this is probably a lot more then most of you want, but I tour a lot on a dual sport bike and we hookup our bikes this way because of all the accessories that we could be running at one time, GPS, heated gloves, heated grips, heated clothes, heated seat, extra lighting, etc. I see many of you tour on your Burgman's so this works no different then a motorcycle. Here is the Blue Sea unit I use, these are marine units, so they work great for motorcycles, http://www.wholesalemarine.com/blue...circuit.html?gclid=CPDhn5XqvroCFcnm7AodYB0Afg

John
So, are you saying that his plug and wiring for the Wee-Strom works on the Burgman 650 too? If so I will order another one (have one on my Wee-Strom). You know Jim at EB also makes a fuse box? I have one and am going to install it on my Burgman.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
220 Posts
Doug, what I should have said was, the rear of the wiring harness have somewhat the same plugs, but if the wires are in the same place I don't know, that is tail lamp, brake lamp, turn signals, ground, etc. I would e-mail Jim at EB and see if he can put the correct plugs on his harness for you so they fit your Burgman. He also has all the plugs for plugging into the Suzuki wiring harness and this shouldn't be a problem for him to do. His website show several plugs for sale, it's just getting the correct ones for the Burgman. Sorry if I miss led you on this.

John

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Thanks. I think I will email EB and see what he thinks.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
16 Posts

Thank you Leo38! ;) I used your knowledge for my 2011 400 Burgman install. It has Brown for running lights though.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Could you be more specific as what you had to do to get to the wires? I just purchased an admore kit. Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey LeDude, In your photo is shows what looks like another positap that is in the background on the left side. Is that connected to the gray wire? I just got the 929 with the LED kit. I was trying to follow your instructions and was going back and forth between the 929 installation and the 929 LED add on. With the add on LED there are only two wires, with the LED kit with the box there are three. I found another thread that said to wire Red and Brown wire to White with Black stripe and Blue and Black wire to Black wire with white stripe and then the leftover LED wire (Green) to the Grey wire which I assume is the grey wire coming off the light as shown above without the positap. Which is why I am asking if it is tapped with the positap in the background. I hope this made sense, lol. It's late and I have been searching all over town for the positaps. No automotive or Home repair stores carry them. I have them on order at Napa and should be in tomorrow but I only get 2 for $9. I ordered some others on Amazon but they wont be here for a few days :(

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I got an assortment of Posi-Taps and an assortment of Posi-Twists direct from Posi-lock.com.

http://www.posi-lock.com/shoponline.cfm

Here's a chart telling the sizes that are available of the Posi-Taps.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Just purchased the Admore kit. if you tap into the wires near the taillight, how did you get the wire through the Tupperware so that it could plug into the t0p case?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just purchased the Admore kit. if you tap into the wires near the taillight, how did you get the wire through the Tupperware so that it could plug into the t0p case?
There is a notch at each corner of the leading edge of the top centre frame tupperware cover.
You can route the lead with the quick connector up between the lip of the trunk box where the notch is located.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts