Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to thank whoever suggested placing the feet on the diagonal part of the floor. I've been riding these past 3 years with my feet flat on the horizontal part of the floor. I tried at first putting them on the diagonal but was not comfortable riding in traffic for fear I couldn't get my feet down to the ground fast enough if I had to stop fast. I have since found on long rides in the country or on the interstate using the diagonal my body is more relaxed. If I had to I could stop safer and faster by using my leg muscles as well as my hands on the handlebars. I am able to push my back into the Utopia backrest and ride much more comfortably. I ride a 650.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Marv, the great thing about the maxi scoots are the multitude of feet positions. Almost endless. Love those floorboards. My feet are almost constantly moving.

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
243 Posts
Marv, the great thing about the maxi scoots are the multitude of feet positions. Almost endless. Love those floorboards. My feet are almost constantly moving.

Sirkitrider
In my Harley years I was always adding and shifting pegs to be comfortable on long rides. Now, with a Burgman, I have plenty of spots for my feet.

Put 'em where you want. I constantly move mine around. Sometimes I put my feet in different positions. Whatever works!

John

·
Registered
377 Posts
A big part of the appeal of the Burgman was the ability to move my legs as I ride. One of the limiting factors for me is knee pain after an hour or two on the road. Most motorcycles I've owned in the past end up with a set of highway pegs so I can do what I call, "The Road Dance". Both feet on the regular pegs. Right foot on highway peg, left foot on regular peg. Both feet on the highway pegs. Right foot on the regular peg, left on the highway peg. Repeat. That was usually enough for two to three hours before butt burn started. With the Burgman, I have a multitude of foot placement choices. If I could change one thing, it would be to have the driver boards go just a bit farther back so I could stand up easier to go over big bumps and when going through construction zones. But as it is, it's a very good set-up.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I too really enjoy the multitude of various positions in which to put my feet. On occasion I like to stand up and let "the boys" and my butt get a bit of air. Easy to do when I slide my feet all the way back to where my footpegs would be like on one of my other bikes. Over the years I very much enjoy being able to stand for a minute to a few minutes every now and then. I have found that it makes long rides much more enjoyable and that I don't require a stop nearly as often. Most times just for gas and a water break.

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts
Yup - I like to stretch and change position on long rides tho Rusty and I disagree on the standing bit...

My Beadrider provides all the cooling, wiggle around.
If I want my butt off I just push up off the angled plate where the footrests are.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yup - I like to stretch and change position on long rides tho Rusty and I disagree on the standing bit...
Not everyone likes to stand up every now and then. I guess that I have pretty much been doing it since I started riding back in the mid 60's.

I have two main riding buddies and one of them stands on his pegs about as often as I do while the other guy only gets off his seat when it is time to dismount. To each his own here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm short (5'2") and I've found that with the butt rest all the way forward and my feet pressed against the diagonal floorboards ("active legs") the bike feels more nimble, which I assume just means that I'm riding more relaxed. My short little legs actually go almost completely straight with my feet in that position (which is the reason I don't ride a 650 -- can't reach the ground). It's so much more comfortable. Can't imagine trying to tool around on it like it's a 50cc; seems like that would get ouchy before too long, especially on my back.

Also, the time I had to ride it dressed for an interview, the heels on my high-heeled boots fit wonderfully into that little "jog" at the bottom of the diagonal -- like it was made for them! :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I ride with my feet on the horizontal. I usually have them all the way forward but flat, level with the ground. I have tried with my legs up but I find it unnerving, like I have less control, it also hurts my leg with metal plates to have it in that position.

As others have said "with the Burgman you have many places to put your feet". So use whatever position works for you!

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts
Not everyone likes to stand up every now and then. I guess that I have pretty much been doing it since I started riding back in the mid 60's.
Oh I stand ...just not on the Burgman.
KLR650 much of the riding off road is standing and the ST1100 was "okay" tho the geometry on that machine made it feel weird.

Of course on the various trials bikes I've owned ....there ain't much choice :D.

But the Burgman 650 with the Daylong I can stretch and get my butt off the seat for a few k and that does just fine.

When I stand I like a tank to grip with my knees - that may be the difference. - not comfortable with no tank and with the ST1100 too much "tank" ( tho it's not on that machine".

Like the other 1100 BMW I demoed I found the position spread my knees too much ( even regular riding ).
I only have a 30" inseam but 5' 9" so might be part of that.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I prefer the legs forward position for control and comfort on the Scoot.
My wife's Honda Elite has flat floor boards and is less comfy to me and I never feel "planted" on it.
On my motorcycles I always find myself wanting to move my foot position but am restricted. Thus getting fatigued more easily.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Does anyone else occasionally hook your heels over the PASSENGER footrests? Looks more like a sport bike that way.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sitting on the seat

:)
antimatter; That was usually enough for two to three hours before butt burn started. With the Burgman said:
To avoid "Butt Burn" while having your feet on the diagonal floor try moving forward a bit on the seat and lean into the backrest. It would also help to have a Utopia backrest. You could ride longer in more comfort. I'm 82 and can still ride for hours this way.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I usually have one foot flat and the other on the slant. Then, after a while, I switch them.
Hah, tried that this past weekend on a long trip. Works surprisingly well! The boards are just another reason the Burger is a King. Beadrider works too, could stand to be a bit wider. Maybe a version with rubber beads? Adds a bit of give, with traction the wood lacks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts