Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered, but I did a search and didn't come up with much. Does anyone have a good source for a paper manual for a Burgman 650? None on eBay at the moment. Can you get them from your Suzuki dealer, or is it an aftermarket thing like a Haynes or Bentley manual for cars?

My 650 should be in in a few days and I'd like to get the manual in advance. I'd like to do an oil change at maybe 200 miles in advance of the 600 mile service. Also one other question: would you replace the filter as well at 200 miles, or just the oil?

Thanks,

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Any Suzuki dealer should be able to gt you the manual. Aother online source :

Ron Ayers

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ouch! The Oneida site says you have to get the '03-'04 manual for $50 plus an '05 suppliment for another $10, plus ~$10 shipping.

I forgot I'd seen Ron Ayers mentioned in my search, but when you go to
Maintenance / Service Manuals / Suzuki you get a list of years only going up through 2001 (?)

I'll check with the dealer and see if they're much more.
Thanks,

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Ron Ayers lists the '04 manual for $59.07 and doesn't have the '05 supplement. The Arizona Motorsport Group has the 650 manual on their store for $39.95 at :

http://store.azmusa.com/subu40sema.html

But also do not list the '05 supplement. It might be worth contacting them to see if they have it available but not yet listed on the website.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
While placing your order for the manual order several oil filters as well. You've got quite the investment there and scrimping $10 for an oil filter doesnt make sense to me. If you do it yourself you will make up that money easily in saved dealer labour. If you don't get the manual before it's time to change the oil then just follow this old post along with my photos. How To Change 650 Oil

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Allwalk. With regards to the oil filter, I do not plan on skimping. It will definitely get changed at the 600 mile oil change, and every other regular oil change after that. I was just wondering with regards to do one extra engine oil change at the 200 mile mark, as I've seen a few other people post on. I was just wondering if it'd be necessary to change it at 200 AND 600.

Your pictures are very helpful because they give me an idea of what's ahead before I start pulling off plastic. I'm handy with a wrench and do alll my own car maintenance (except very involved things like timing belts), so I'm looking forward to doing my own work on the scoot, too. I actually shouldn't say I'm really looking forward to it -- I really started doing my own car work due to dealer/garage incompetence. I feel better knowing I've done it myself, and have done it correctly.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
frugality said:
Thanks, Allwalk. With regards to the oil filter, I do not plan on skimping. It will definitely get changed at the 600 mile oil change, and every other regular oil change after that.

I think that's what Allwalk was telling you. Don't skimp by only changing the filter every other change (as the manual says).

Leaving an old filter with new oil is something I've never understood. Why put in 2.5 quarts of fresh oil and have it mix with .5 quart of dirty oil ?

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
AZ Motorsports

I've delt with Arizona Motorsports. If you e-mail them asking for the supplement it should "magically" appear on the website within 24 hours for purchase.

Terry and Ron are good peeps!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
My dealer got a manual for me within a week.
Cost $84.00 Cdn, the supplement they haven't been able to get info on.

My manual say 2003-2004 and includes a section on ABS brakes etc.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Rick,

Ask the dealer if they can get the Suzuki part # 99501-36110-03E.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Just did my 600 mi service. If I knew my tranny oil would be as dirty as it was I would have changed at 200 also.

About the filters - old school is that a fresh filter does a better job filtering than a new one. New school is that a filter actually tightens up during it's life, trapping smaller particles which does a better job, though eventually it will tighten up to the point it plugs. I'm old school, I just can't stand changing the oil without the filter. One thing I'm very strict on is a quality filter. Better manufacturers will tell you the particle size (micron) it will let through, and the surface area of the filter. Wix brand is readily available here so I usually go with that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts