Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Refineries in WA state seem to have switched over to their "winter blend" of government-garbage-gasohol. I noticed it because my 650's fuel economy went down, it started to miss a little at idle, and my riding buddy's Honda ST1100 started to run like s***. Burning real gasoline is a great improvement. Here's a nice web site showing where to buy pure gasoline in USA and a little bit of Canada:

http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

Sorry for those of you who live in the loony bins of CA and NV.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Don't worry -- by the time you'll get there, smart people give it the works.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Do you know of a safe and effective aftermarket gas additive that can counteract the effects of winter gas?

BTW, here in CA we call it the "Big Ag lobby/Corn Producers garbage gasohol".

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do you know of a safe and effective aftermarket gas additive that can counteract the effects of winter gas?

BTW, here in CA we call it the "Big Ag lobby/Corn Producers garbage gasohol".
Same thing we call it in corn country.

What really ticks me off is that with all the corn going to gasohol, my corn fed beef is costing me a lot more! I never buy gasohol for mileage and beef purposes.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I burn corn to heat my house. Why not? When I was in high school during the '60's I raised corn and got $2. a bushel. Thirty years later while paying many times more then what I did in the '60's for everything else I still got $2. a bushel. I got fed up and decided if that was all food was worth people can starve and started burning it. I've been burning corn for 20 some years and quite frankly don't care if your food goes triple today's cost after standing in line to get it for several hours.

Who promised you cheap food at the farmers expense? A tractor that cost me $11000 in 1973 now costs $90,000 plus equipped the same. Corn, wheat, soybeans, etc hasn't nearly kept up with your paycheck so go ahead and scream. Sounds like music in my ears.

There is good reason why farms have gotten so large. Most items purchased by farmers is approx 10 times 1970 prices while his products have gone up at most 3 times. Many got out of farming and those still in have gotten large to spread the cost over many more bushels, lbs, gallons, etc.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just me, why are you complaining when you decided to grow one of the most heavily subsidized crops? The other are rice, wheat and soy. So many farmers grow that stuff, more than we need, because of the government payments. Over capacity keeps your price low. Rather than bellyache and hope people starve, why not switch to a non-subsidized crop? It might give you more credibility. You don't get much sympathy when your hand is in my pocket. And yes, that is a banana.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I burn corn to heat my house. Why not? When I was in high school during the '60's I raised corn and got $2. a bushel. Thirty years later while paying many times more then what I did in the '60's for everything else I still got $2. a bushel. I got fed up and decided if that was all food was worth people can starve and started burning it. I've been burning corn for 20 some years and quite frankly don't care if your food goes triple today's cost after standing in line to get it for several hours.

Who promised you cheap food at the farmers expense? A tractor that cost me $11000 in 1973 now costs $90,000 plus equipped the same. Corn, wheat, soybeans, etc hasn't nearly kept up with your paycheck so go ahead and scream. Sounds like music in my ears.

There is good reason why farms have gotten so large. Most items purchased by farmers is approx 10 times 1970 prices while his products have gone up at most 3 times. Many got out of farming and those still in have gotten large to spread the cost over many more bushels, lbs, gallons, etc.
Hmmmmmmm.!!!!!! What were you earning way back in 1973.???? Back in 1970, I bought a brand new Audi automobile for $3,700.00....... Do you know what a new Audi costs to buy today.??????? $48,000.00 Get real!!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just me, why are you complaining when you decided to grow one of the most heavily subsidized crops? The other are rice, wheat and soy. So many farmers grow that stuff, more than we need, because of the government payments. Over capacity keeps your price low. Rather than bellyache and hope people starve, why not switch to a non-subsidized crop? It might give you more credibility. You don't get much sympathy when your hand is in my pocket. And yes, that is a banana.
Thank you. You pretty much said everything I was thinking while I reading his post.

I 'hobnob' with wheat farmers where I golf. They all piss and moan about the low prices they get for their wheat - especially this time of year and they all drive Mercedes Lincolns etc. Their wifes are sporting big diamond rings - life is good for the farmer these days - thanks to government subsidies. My answer has always been if they don't like the price they get grow something nobody else is growing. Since the US government often buys their surplus and ships it to places like Somalia they always sell everything they grow.

I also have family member back in N. Dakota that grow wheat and they all brag about what a great deal they have what with the government subsidies. Farming is big business and they are doing well.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Thank you. You pretty much said everything I was thinking while I reading his post.

I 'hobnob' with wheat farmers where I golf. They all piss and moan about the low prices they get for their wheat - especially this time of year and they all drive Mercedes Lincolns etc. Their wifes are sporting big diamond rings - life is good for the farmer these days - thanks to government subsidies. My answer has always been if they don't like the price they get grow something nobody else is growing. Since the US government often buys their surplus and ships it to places like Somalia they always sell everything they grow.

I also have family member back in N. Dakota that grow wheat and they all brag about what a great deal they have what with the government subsidies. Farming is big business and they are doing well.
I could not agree with you more........!!!!!! Take a peek at this: http://farm.ewg.org/summary.php

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I mean there's no guarantee that a station will keep stock of real gas for however long a period.
I can buy non ethanol gas at five or six gas stations and at the main fuel distributor and I can't remember them ever running out. I'll take that back, back in 1976 we did have some fuel shortages. But that was before they started adding ethanol in any of our gas hear.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Shows your ignorance of prices back before the subsidies of today. One year Russia needed wheat. Pres. Carter told us to grow wheat so we did then he threw an embargo on us and the wheat price went thru the floor. The subsidies were the government's way of stabilizing prices which, like anything the government touches, gets screwed up. Meanwhile, while you folks scream I'll keep burning corn to heat my house and burn it in my vehicles too. My 650 runs fine.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Glad to hear about availability of non-ethanol fuel here in New Mexico. Since NM is all high elevation, it has been mandated YEAR ROUND for several years now throughout the state by the EPA.

Biggest problem I used to have was on a 2cycle Rotax engine on an ultralight aircraft. Using 2cycle premix oil with ethanol fuel does NOT work well. Especially as you climb into colder air and the fuel gels / freezes. My previous solution was to buy avgas at 5.50 per gallon (or more).

I will try the pure gasoline and see if there is noticeable difference on my Burg 400.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have found that Sam's Club (if your a member) gas has been the best for performance and mileage in all my vehicles and my Burg 650 j/s. Also, on a un-related note if anyone knows a great deal on a Ford Explorer Sport Trac please let me know

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have never had any issues with ethanol gas but I get slightly better mileage with pure regular gas. The ethanol free gas around here is premium. I think part of the problem is improper or sloppy blending. The corn squeezins are put in the gas after it is loaded on the tanker. The ethanol percentage can vary if the person who adds the alcohol is not careful.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have had issues with ethanol in the gas. Smaller engines like my weed eater and blower have both quit running due to the ethanol gumming up the works! I had a Yamaha VStar 1100 that sat for awhile when I had rotator cuff surgery, and when I finally got to ride it again, it wouldn't run at all. Come to find out, the jets were all gummed up due to ethanol. I hate it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Shows your ignorance of prices back before the subsidies of today. One year Russia needed wheat. Pres. Carter told us to grow wheat so we did then he threw an embargo on us and the wheat price went thru the floor. The subsidies were the government's way of stabilizing prices which, like anything the government touches, gets screwed up. Meanwhile, while you folks scream I'll keep burning corn to heat my house and burn it in my vehicles too. My 650 runs fine.
President Carter? Going back a few years, aren't you? So what is your justification for subsidies TODAY? I don't know anyone who is screaming for lack of food. Last week my wife bought five ears of sweet corn at the local farmers market for $1.00. The ranchers may be raising a fuss because the retards in Washington mandate so much corn should be used to make ethanol, to pay back the ethanol and corn lobbies for their checks. If anyone knows any paranoid-schizophrenics like Jerod Loughner, send them to Washington.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Here Shell V-Power 91 not contain ethanol, it ethanol garbage free product, small engine shop suggest run V-Power 91 in all small engine for lawn/garden, forestry equipment, generator, etc., etc, boat marina also offer ethanol garbage free gasoline but very much more expensive in most marina.

When me run ethanol free gasoline me burgie run better, no longer have hesitation and vibration have with ethanol garbage gasoline, more smooth engine, more pick-up, better milage also.

When run ethanol gasoline try this product, me find engine run much better, perform better, respond better and this with 87 gasoline or higher that have crap ethanol mix.

http://www.k100fueltreatment.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=K100MG&Store_Code=KFTO

·
Registered
341 Posts
I could get non-ethanol gas here in Shreveport LA until last year. I can still get it up in south east Oklahoma on the way to where I camp

1 - 20 of 28 Posts