Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I don't know how to call this thing. :) Not sure that "spline" is correct name for it. See attached image what I mean:

(I meant not bolts or zipper, exactly ;))

These splines are located inside primary pulley mechanism, they are in broken state on the image above.

Original Suzuki catalog doesn't provide ability to order it. And ordering whole primary pulley just for replacing the splines does not look like brilliant idea. ;)

Currently I've turned new pair from a brass, but not sure how long it will work. So, any ideas where I can buy manufactured splines?...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
They don't sell the parts separately, they use them when they refurbish CVT's in their workshop.
Apart from that, were these the parts you were referring to?

I'm sure that you have craftsmen in Belarus, who can repair anything man-made.

The CVT is really quite simple, it's just 2 keyways in the shaft and 2 keys to put in them.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
It translates to self-lubricating phosphorous bronze.

If I had the same problem with my CVT (knock on wood), I'd go to a workshop specialized in rebuilding broken-down machine components.

They can build-up worn-down shafts and bores, using various methods and know a lot of solutions to more or less common problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
did anyone find where to buy these splines/keys? or maybe someone can tell another way to repair the pulley?

·
Administrator
20,576 Posts
That we know, no one makes the key for retail sale. I would just take the broken bits to any good machine shop and have them milled from "Oiled Phosphorous Bronze" bar stock.

(Hope translation below does not say "hot chocolate" bar stock.)

Нам відомо, що ніхто не робить ключовим для роздрібного продажу. Я б просто відніс зламані шматочки в будь-який хороший механічний цех і дав би їх розмолоти з бару "Нафтована фосфорна бронза".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for translation, but I prefer to read in native Englishto eliminate those translation errors 😃 and I'm russian-speaking ☺
That we know, no one makes the key for retail sale.
I've found these keys, but strangely they are sold only by russian sellers for about $80/pair. And I don't know if they work really well, but they look pretty similar to original

·
Registered
20 Posts
in ukraine you can buy it ?
unfortunately, it is sold only in Russia and there are some difficulties in transferring it from there, but I`ve ordered it and now I`m waiting for a delivery. Hope I`ll open this season in about a month:unsure:

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
unfortunately, it is sold only in Russia and there are some difficulties in transferring it from there, but I`ve ordered it and now I`m waiting for a delivery. Hope I`ll open this season in about a month:unsure:
I’d still follow Dave_J s suggestion .... take your original bits and your pics to a good machine shop and save some Rubles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’d still follow Dave_J s suggestion .... take your original bits and your pics to a good machine shop and save some Rubles.
I`ve asked several services and owners about how selfmade splines are doing and didn't like any answer. Most people say these selfmade splines run about 5-10K kms (3-6K miles) and I'm not ready to make 1-2 repairs per season. Moreover, these splines can destroy the grooves on the shaft (mine had some handmande splines and I had to change the shaft).

I`ve ordered the ones on the photo above, people say it can run about 30K km (18K miles), so, hope it will last for several seasons of nonagressive drive.

And, yes, I don't have any original ones to make a copy from them

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
I`ve asked several services and owners about how selfmade splines are doing and didn't like any answer. Most people say these selfmade splines run about 5-10K kms (3-6K miles) and I'm not ready to make 1-2 repairs per season. Moreover, these splines can destroy the grooves on the shaft (mine had some handmande splines and I had to change the shaft).

I`ve ordered the ones on the photo above, people say it can run about 30K km (18K miles), so, hope it will last for several seasons of nonagressive drive.

And, yes, I don't have any original ones to make a copy from them
Understood, $80 just seems sorta high for what you’re getting.... but I understand the necessity of them. Best of Luck !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Understood, $80 just seems sorta high for what you’re getting.... but I understand the necessity of them. Best of Luck !
the cost of changing them will cost much more than $80. And I don't count the price of parts, just the labor

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
18 Posts
i try make it for 4 keys
its difficult because it is a very hard material
it is thermally toughened
i dont have enought strong machines to do it
the cost of doing it on professional machines is too high
it is more profitable to buy a new pulley

·
Registered
20 Posts
New pulley costs $700 :( it is too much for our wages. I've purchased a belt already and there are some other repairs ongoing now. And looks like I'm going to sell it after this season, because I'm not sure if this bike is capable of making long trips without facing big and pricey expences :(

i try make it for 4 keys
its difficult because it is a very hard material
it is thermally toughened
I've asked my technicians about this modification. It should be "thermally released", then it is machined and hardened again. But first we should remove one "cheek" of the CVT. We didn't count the price for this work yet, because we have a good axle now, but maybe we will think about that later, to make a spare axle with more durability due to more splines on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
which ?
this with 2 keys or 4 keys ?
probably 2 keys. I've asked original dealer for an original partnumber

1 - 20 of 21 Posts