Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there are so many people on this forum from so many places, I would like some input on some good touring roads near where you live, or somewhere you have been. It may be a week or a few months before I am able to purchase my Burgman. More likely a few months. I plan on doing alot of touring of the country, (also Canada). I would appreaciate any help on this subject.
Thanks, JD

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
If you make it all the way out west, the Pacific Coast Highway from California to Washington is beautiful. Also the North Cascades Highway in Washington (but only in the summer. It's closed during the winter, and too cold/wet during much of the spring and fall).

·
Registered
794 Posts
Going-To-The-Sun Road

Brian said:
If you make it all the way out west, the Pacific Coast Highway from California to Washington is beautiful.
If you do happen to come out this way, don't miss the Going-To-The-Sun Road in Glacier National Park. It's breathtaking.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: 129 Tennessee

Broken Record said:
If you like twisties, it's hard to beat the tail of the dragon...

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
Now you've done it.... Got me wanting to take a weekend trip over to the mountains. That looks like too much fun. I might now want to come back home. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts

billmeek said:
Broken Record said:

Now you've done it.... Got me wanting to take a weekend trip over to the mountains. That looks like too much fun. I might now want to come back home. :)
Been there, done that over ridden roads - beautiful scenery until you want to throw up.

Come to Massachusetts, the Birthplace of the USA - ride to the North Bride of Concord battlefield where a cadre of rag tag farmers fought against a numerically superior Britsh army and kick ass to NH. feel the history.

·
Registered
30 Posts

billmeek said:
Broken Record said:

Bill,
I live about 15 minutes from it, if you ever take a hankerin to ride East Tennessee let me know!
Brad
[email protected]

·
Registered
857 Posts
Dan mentioned Going-to-the-sun in Glacier. I'm from Montana originally, and I agree 1000%.

I'd also add Beartooth Pass, southern Montana, near the northern edge of Jellystone Park (Red Lodge, MT). It is awesome, with tons of twisties, eagles, and rock cliffs. Probably half the beauty of Glacier Park though. I've heard the Tetons to the South are beautiful as well, but i've not been there sadly.

Pacific Coast Highway is also beautiful.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Where to go!

Hello from the east coast of Canada.Should you ever decide to see the eastern part of the USA dont miss out one the East Coast of Canada we have many Great roads and sights to see. should you decide to come east let me know in advance and I woill arrange for you to receive some info regarding our area. Enjoy your Burgman . RW

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

Broken Record said:
I live about 15 minutes from it, if you ever take a hankerin to ride East Tennessee let me know!
Brad,

Sounds like a great weekend getaway to me. Once I'm over the current medical issues I definately will head over that way.

<begin gripe mode>
I consider myself way too young (39ish) to be having hip issues...since it cuts into my riding time. Dangit, it makes the Burgman 'less fun'.
<end gripe mode>

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
So Bill...

How long have you been "39ish"??

I could sure feel my age at the end of each riding day on that trip I just took. I am, of course, "49ish". But hey.. I'd wake up the next morning and all my limbs would sorta move in the general direction I wanted them to. Good to go for another day!

Seriously, I hope you mend from the medical problems soon.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
So Bill...
How long have you been "39ish"??
I'm somewhere between 38 and 40. Didn't feel like counting on my fingers and toes to add up the years. :) I know I haven't hit the big 40 as my son hasn't bugged me about it ... yet. I stopped keeping up with b'days as of age 35 when I got my last break on insurance rates.

pauljo said:
I could sure feel my age at the end of each riding day on that trip I just took. I am, of course, "49ish". But hey.. I'd wake up the next morning and all my limbs would sorta move in the general direction I wanted them to. Good to go for another day!
One of the few things I miss about being a teen is how marvelous the body is at ignoring pain. Anything that didn't remove an extremity was considered "just a scratch". Now I am starting to get pains in places I didn't know was there.

pauljo said:
Seriously, I hope you mend from the medical problems soon.
Thanks Paul. 8 weeks, 4 doctors, blood work, 3 xrays, 4 MRIs (with another scheduled for July 9th), and enough drugs to GlaxoSmithKline in profits for the next year and you'd think I'd be close to healed. Thank goodness for deceint medical insurance. I just want it all over so I can ride and (ashamed to admit I miss it) get back to work. Urmm ... maybe it's not work I miss but the paychecks. ;)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
seatec said:
Come to Nova Scotia, drive around the coast if you like to SEA the sea :D
Did you mean to say, "...if you like to SEE the sea"?

BTW, seatec, what does your handle mean? "SEATEC ASTRONOMY" maybe?

·
Registered
308 Posts
seatec said:
Come to Nova Scotia, drive around the coast if you like to SEA the sea :D
Ahhhh.. the Evangeline trail, one of the best rides in THE WORLD> The folks in the Canadian Maritimes are the absolute friendliest people I have ever met.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Highway 101 in California

I agree with remarks about the roads in Northern California and Oregon and Washington.. About one hour north of Santa Rosa, the scenery on the roads are spectacular... especially along the coast . Bob

·
Registered
92 Posts
Where to go in Canada

There are so many wonderful places in Canada for touring that selecting a single one is next to impossible but one highway I have travelled twice (and look forward to doing it again, only by car but would love to do it on my bike) is the Ice Fields Parkway between Banff & Jasper Alberta. It has been described, by a promenent actor, as the only two hour drive on earth that no one has ever completed in less than six hours the first time.

A drive that can't be beat in the US is the circumnavigation of Yellowstone Park followed by a drive out the Bear Tooth Highway. This runs out of the north east gate of Yellowstone and in 35 miles goes over an 8800 ft pass, a 9100 ft pass and an 11,000 ft mountain peak. On the way you'll look down on a huge plateau that is 10,000 ft high and cross the top of a ski resort that operates even in early August.

Here in Ontario we have many scenic routes, but the Niagara Parkway has to be one of the best for views of the Niagara River and Falls. It runs north from Fort Erie on Lake Erie to Niagara on the Lake on Lake Ontario.

Another is highway 400/69 running along the east coat of Georgian Bay thru the Muskoka Lakes district. There are few more beautiful places on Earth. To really extend the trip continue on around the Great Lakes. from highway 69 at Sudbury you can turn west across the top of the great lakes to Thunderbay and then south into Wisconsin. Down the coast of lake Michigan around thru Chicago then east to Detroit or Cleveland and further east along the south coast of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. This will also take you thru the New York finger lakes region and then on to the Ivy Lee Bridge thru the Thousand Islands.

If that seems to far, how about starting on the Toronto waterfront and riding Yonge St (the longest street in the world) all the way to Wisconsin.

It's 840 KM around Lake Ontario alone, think of how far the circumnavigation of all the great lakes would be and what senery you'd see. You'd also become one of a very small group of people who have ever done that.

Good luck. If you do come to Ontario, contact me at [email protected] and we can set up a meeting and tour together. Since I'm retired after 40 years in IT, I can go almost anytime.

(Anytime after I get my bike back that is. It's still in the shop, awaiting parts, from the accident May 30th.)

Richard

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Wow. Makes me think I'd like to tour some of Canada too. I also had a career in IT and took an early retirement two years ago. One of my last projects involved spending some time in Toronto. I was really impressed. For a large city it is very clean. The underground shopping centers are amazing, the theater district is second only to New York City, and I enjoyed dining in some very good restaurants (on the company's tab of course). I also strolled along Yonge street many evenings on my way to and from dinner. And I could stop and pick up a genuine Cuban cigar for an evening smoke if I wished. I always enjoyed my time in Toronto.

I had no idea at the time that I would soon be retiring, moving halfway across the USA, and buying a super scooter. Life can be full of surprises!

·
Registered
92 Posts
PLaces to see in Canada

Ya, me too. Got layed off at 57 and spent 2 years looking for a job. I decided, "why am I going to all this hassel?" and retired.

When my mother passed away I bought the scooter to give me something else to think about.

All I can say is I LOVE IT. I spend time on these web sites to give me a motorcycle/scooter fix until my machine gets out of the shop. :cry:

Two weeks to the day after delivery a kid in daddies van, with his learner's permit, without signaling or even obvious braking turned left directly in front of me less than 20 metres away. :eek: I locked the brakes and went down. Witnesses in a car behind me told the police that the guy left me nothing else to do. Result was a boken rib, a bruised side from mid chest all the way down to my knee, a broken big toe and one elbow, and both knees road rashed. The doctor in the hospital had to drill thru both big toe nails to drain the blood so I wouldn't loose the nails. The rib and both hips and the broken toe are still sore.

But not sore enough to stop me from my walking. I walk 8 KM (5 Miles) three times a week since I took up regular walking a year ago January. I started out barely able to walk 1 KM, and worked up to 8. I guess too many years sitting at a computer screen.

To the surprise of my friends and wife, I can't wait to get back on the bike and get going. :eek: I already have several short, one day, tours I want to do when the bike is fixed. They're still waiting on parts. The parts alone come to $6722.00 :eek: , and only about $5500.00 of them have come in :cry: . I'm also having the new bigger OEM windshield installed as there have been some good reports on it. :)

Richard

1 - 20 of 27 Posts